Author Topic: Lets talk vnt's for a bit.  (Read 3450 times)

May 09, 2013, 01:35:24 pm

Zaro

• User+

Lets talk vnt's for a bit.
« on: May 09, 2013, 01:35:24 pm »
I have had the idea of running a vnt 17/22 on my aaz lately

I currently have a complete rebuilt engine, with a new head with 3 angle valve job, some sort of custom really aggressive cam. Front mount intercooler behind the grill with 2.5 inch piping. A custom intake manifold with a 3 inch inlet. A giles pump built to fuel 200 whp and 35 psi... And a fuel cooler. I had a t3 50 trim that i was planning on running but I had to sell. At the moment Im just running a NEW VW garrett t3 I got from the local dealer a while back as a temp turbo.

What kind of power is 17/22 capable of? I dont really care about fast spool to much but id like to stay under 5000 rpm. Ive had an aaz in the past that reved to 7000 or more and made 50 psi out of a t3/t4.

Im really just in the thinking stages. The engine is in my mk2 gti and I put about 8000km on it since the rebuild in feburary.

Controlling it is NOT an issue. My father is running a 17/22 in a syncro vanagon on his aaz with a Dawes device.

Looking for reliability, and the most power. Fuel economy isnt something that im to concerned about at the moment.

Reply #1May 09, 2013, 03:44:56 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: Lets talk vnt's for a bit.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:44:56 pm »
from what tdi people say they are capable of a bit over 200whp on a tdi.  so it is possible that its capable of that much on an aaz.  maybe a little less tho since tdi is more efficient.  won't know till you try running it tho.  are the guy who had the mk1 scirocco with aaz and t3/t4?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2May 09, 2013, 05:00:50 pm

sprstu

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:00:50 pm »
the issue youre going to run into is controlling the VNT actuator. The VNT's are great turbos if you can control them properly, its not as easy as a bleeder wastegate. The VNT is a "smart" mechanism that is wildly powerful and efficient when controlled properly. Many people have built systems to run them off the throttle postion lever on the pump but youre really not giving yourself the full advantage of the VNT. There is more to it than just "vanes open" "vanes closed"

if you were making good power with the T3/T4 why did you switch away from it?
Mk1 caddy TD, mk4 Golf Tdi

Reply #3May 09, 2013, 05:15:53 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:15:53 pm »
I gave up talking about VNT's till there is a plug in laptop tunable ala megasquirt control solution that I can buy for a couple hundred bucks.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #4May 09, 2013, 08:50:45 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:50:45 pm »
OK,
I ran across these links doing a search here. . .
http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/ You'd have to have some programming skilss though.

An apparently successful manual controller "was" here. . .
http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11042#p76175

At that time he was libbybapa, he now goes by libbydiesel and is a current member here
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #5May 09, 2013, 09:39:17 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: Re: Lets talk vnt's for a bit.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
Yep, seen em. Awesome and much respect, but not what I'm wanting.
I wouldn't be so picky if I'd never used megasquirt.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #6May 10, 2013, 01:56:18 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 01:56:18 am »
I gave up talking about VNT's till there is a plug in laptop tunable ala megasquirt control solution that I can buy for a couple hundred bucks.

The thread title is let's talk about VNTs.
 Not let's think of reasons not to talk about VNTs.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #7May 10, 2013, 09:51:34 am

Zaro

• User+

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 09:51:34 am »
the issue youre going to run into is controlling the VNT actuator. The VNT's are great turbos if you can control them properly, its not as easy as a bleeder wastegate. The VNT is a "smart" mechanism that is wildly powerful and efficient when controlled properly. Many people have built systems to run them off the throttle postion lever on the pump but youre really not giving yourself the full advantage of the VNT. There is more to it than just "vanes open" "vanes closed"

The t3/t4 was on a different engine which had h-beam rods, machined pistons for lower compression, crank girdle, extremely ported head and custom manely valves.

This new engine is just a stock rebuild with only head studs and 3 notch head gasket. I dont want to rev a stock bottom end to 6500 and run close to 50 pounds of boost. But then again maybe thats what I should be running so boost would come on slower and more in the top end...

I assume a VNT 17/22 would hit hard very low rpm which would make a few extra "windows". lol

Im more or less looking for turbo ideas to reach, give or take a few numbers, 180 hp out my aaz. I do have sitting right beside me an aba turbo exhaust manifold and a near new t3/t4 with a .50 ar. Yes I agree a .48 ar would be better yet but I already have this.

Thoughts???

Reply #8May 10, 2013, 12:41:51 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 12:41:51 pm »

The t3/t4 was on a different engine which had h-beam rods, machined pistons for lower compression, crank girdle, extremely ported head and custom manely valves.

This new engine is just a stock rebuild with only head studs and 3 notch head gasket. I dont want to rev a stock bottom end to 6500 and run close to 50 pounds of boost. But then again maybe thats what I should be running so boost would come on slower and more in the top end...

I assume a VNT 17/22 would hit hard very low rpm which would make a few extra "windows". lol

Im more or less looking for turbo ideas to reach, give or take a few numbers, 180 hp out my aaz. I do have sitting right beside me an aba turbo exhaust manifold and a near new t3/t4 with a .50 ar. Yes I agree a .48 ar would be better yet but I already have this.

Thoughts???

what?  t3 t4 is too big for that power, im not saying it won't work but it won't work as well as a proper sized turbo.  what are you talking about with the size?  50 ar what???  there is no 50 a/r in t3 t4 stuff except for a somewhat uncommon t3 compressor housing.  do u mean its a 50 trim t4 compressor?  and .48 would be the turbine housing (hot side) a/r size
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #9May 10, 2013, 03:31:57 pm

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 03:31:57 pm »
Holset HE211W and Garrett GT2056 are both good 180+ IDI bhp turbos
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #10May 10, 2013, 07:47:12 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:47:12 pm »

The thread title is let's talk about VNTs.
 Not let's think of reasons not to talk about VNTs.

How is your post or this post I am writing now any different haha.

I too would like to see some good solid info on VNT's, something I may think of in the future.

Reply #11May 10, 2013, 08:42:45 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 08:42:45 pm »
Me as well.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

S-PAutomotive.com