Author Topic: run away questions. 1.6TD  (Read 6952 times)

April 30, 2013, 10:29:04 am

kevinstonge

run away questions. 1.6TD
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:29:04 am »
I dont believe its burning oil, but i definitely could be wrong.
long story short while i rebuild my TD block, im running an na engine with an na pump and my turbo accessories. The na block has sat for at least a year.
 went to start it for the first time today. cracked and bled the fuel lines at the injectors, hooked up my glow plugs and it started. when it did, the rpms increasingly rose, so i shut it down immediately. tried to start it multiple times afterwards playing around with different things like the idle adj. screw and the cold start advance lever but nothing changed.
 Any thoughts on this? its not billowing black smoke, but there definitely was some grey smoke for sure. i also do not have the pcv hooked up at all. Only other issue i can think of is possibly there is a malfunction in the na pump. I have a TD pump i need to rebuild and plan to install, but im just wondering if anything else could cause this issue.
 thanks guys
 -kevin

Reply #1April 30, 2013, 03:06:51 pm

bajacalal

Re: run away questions. 1.6TD
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:06:51 pm »
Is it really "running away" or is it sticking at a high rpm after acceleration and not returning to idle? The latter is not as serious and can often be addressed by that Diesel Purge chemical, and turning your idle screw back down a bit. You didn't make any other adjustments besides idle, right?

Reply #2April 30, 2013, 04:59:20 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 04:59:20 pm »
See my reply to your post on VWvortex..

i think its pump related, or turbo oil seal related..

pull your charge piping off the turbo, see if theres a ton of oil in the intake and in the piping..

if the intake and turbo are clean, then its pretty much a 100% guarantee that its your pump, or the setting of the throttle arm..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3April 30, 2013, 09:57:02 pm

kevinstonge

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:02 pm »
I did see that post, but I prefer this site anyway!  Minimal oil in the charge pipe and turbo inlet. It's definitely the pump. I'm thinking while I get one of my turbo pumps rebuilt to oem spec(locally), I'll try running thru a purge chemical like baja mentioned. Doesn't sound like it'll hurt any while I wait. 
Thanks a ton for the replies. I'll keep this post updated as I go.

Reply #4April 30, 2013, 10:28:43 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:28:43 pm »
More than likely a pump spec issue.

I have heard of this about 1.3billion times with the governor mod. Lever goes back on in an incorrect position and is putting pedal pre-load on the internal throttle.. Thus, screamer status.

The throttle shaft needs to turn 1 or 2 splines CW to the relation of the throttle arm. Loosen that 10mm nut on the throttle spring assembly, but do not remove it. This can be done safely with it loosened and no real chance of the springs going BOING. Lift up enough to disengage the splines and turn the throttle arm CCW 1-2 splines. Tighten down and try a start, if it now does not start then try holding the pedal down a bit to mimic a higher idle setting. If you can get it to run and rev up without hanging you are close and the other two settings can be set.

Reply #5April 30, 2013, 10:52:32 pm

kevinstonge

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:32 pm »
More than likely a pump spec issue.

I have heard of this about 1.3billion times with the governor mod. Lever goes back on in an incorrect position and is putting pedal pre-load on the internal throttle.. Thus, screamer status.

The throttle shaft needs to turn 1 or 2 splines CW to the relation of the throttle arm. Loosen that 10mm nut on the throttle spring assembly, but do not remove it. This can be done safely with it loosened and no real chance of the springs going BOING. Lift up enough to disengage the splines and turn the throttle arm CCW 1-2 splines. Tighten down and try a start, if it now does not start then try holding the pedal down a bit to mimic a higher idle setting. If you can get it to run and rev up without hanging you are close and the other two settings can be set.

i will definitely be trying this asap.

Reply #6April 30, 2013, 11:17:49 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:17:49 pm »
Had I known you had a modified pump I would have suggested that it's incorrectly adjusted right off the bat. But you should still run some of that Diesel Purge stuff, seems to make engines that have sat a long time run much better.

Reply #7May 01, 2013, 07:56:49 am

kevinstonge

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:56:49 am »
Baja, sorry I was unclear, but as far as I know this pump is unmodified. When reading 8v's previous post, it made me think that this pump issue could be caused by a either gummy pump with a stuck throttle shaft, or a govenor mod gone wrong. If I'm confused and 8v's answer was strictly referring to the mod gone wrong, PLEASE let me know.  Regardless either way I'll be trying the purge chemical. Is this a diesel additive or something you suck directly into the pump inlet??

Reply #8May 01, 2013, 02:46:14 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 02:46:14 pm »
Baja, sorry I was unclear, but as far as I know this pump is unmodified. When reading 8v's previous post, it made me think that this pump issue could be caused by a either gummy pump with a stuck throttle shaft, or a govenor mod gone wrong. If I'm confused and 8v's answer was strictly referring to the mod gone wrong, PLEASE let me know.  Regardless either way I'll be trying the purge chemical. Is this a diesel additive or something you suck directly into the pump inlet??

thats what i said, over on VWvortex..

and the only reason i replied to your thread there first, was because thats where i saw it first..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #9May 07, 2013, 10:14:20 am

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: run away questions. 1.6TD
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:20 am »
Is this the same/similar to the issue that happens when you turn fuel up and then the revs start to hang?

I was messing with my fuel screw one day and it seemed like at like one full turn in it would not return to idle from a rev. Does that mean something is messed up on my pump too or is that normal?

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk 2
'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #10May 07, 2013, 02:25:19 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 02:25:19 pm »
Is this the same/similar to the issue that happens when you turn fuel up and then the revs start to hang?

I was messing with my fuel screw one day and it seemed like at like one full turn in it would not return to idle from a rev. Does that mean something is messed up on my pump too or is that normal?

completely normal for revs to hang when you have your fuel screw set too aggressive..

Reply #11May 09, 2013, 11:57:52 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Re: run away questions. 1.6TD
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 11:57:52 pm »

completely normal for revs to hang when you have your fuel screw set too aggressive..

Ahh okay. I thought as much. What causes the revs to hang? And will I be able to run more fuel once I have boost or is that the most fuel possible without hanging revs?

Cause one turn in isn't THAT much more fuel than stock... and once I have boost I'm sure I'll want lots of fuel to go with it...

Reply #12May 10, 2013, 08:11:25 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:11:25 pm »
The axis of all the internal sprung and centrifugally weighted movements are thrown off and the springs pulling on the throttle are not over come by the spinning of the fly weights. 

You must find the relation between fuel screw in and idle screw out to get the exact spot where it runs properly and fuels your desires. ;)

If one turn in on the fuel is causing hangs.. then likely the pump has been frigged with before and it is not near stock settings. I have a 1.6 tuned in pretty good right now, if you'd like I could get the settings in pictures so you could get a baseline anyway??

Let me know.

Reply #13May 11, 2013, 06:37:05 pm

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 06:37:05 pm »
Well there was only about a turn or so in from where I bought it till it hit the fuel collar... so I've already popped that off. But right now its only about 1/2 turn in from where I got it. Not passed where the little collar was...

But I think when I was turning the fuel up since I was just experimenting and not leaving it I wasn't adjusting the idle down. That's probably part of it
;D

But a picture would help confirm that. And when I get boost ill probably turn it up a bit more and I'll check!

Reply #14May 13, 2013, 09:49:48 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 09:49:48 pm »
Sorry I missed this, I will get you a picture tomorrow in the daylight. :).

S-PAutomotive.com