S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Spring Cleaning and Getting the Soot out  (Read 3275 times)

April 27, 2013, 09:01:02 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Spring Cleaning and Getting the Soot out
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:01:02 pm »
So I was out in the shed and starting to clean it up for the spring and summer uses.  I pulled out the VW seat I had stored out there for the  last two years and set it out in the sun.  OH NO. :o :o  Black all over and Mildew to boot? ???

I decided I had enough time and sun to try cleaning it up again, Maybe sell it as I don't think I will ever use it in my Rabbit.  

I got out my new bottle of cleaner/degreaser, a scrubby pad with the sponge on it from the dishwash handle, a warm bucket of water and a rag.  I would spray the cleaner on a light coat then work it in on small areas with the green side of the pad.  Once that was all streaking I would wash the pad in the warm water and then use the sponge much like I do grout removal from tile.  One swipe, rinse, one swipe and rinse.  Never more than that.  

I noticed that as I was getting to the 3/4 mark and not only was I getting all the mildew off but the soot that was buried deep in the vinyl was coming out as well.  This thing was looking as good as new.  Then I thought I best get some pictures as no one would believe me that it was such a difference.  So out with the camera and on to the forum.  

So this is as it was with all but the lower right part cleaned up.

Sorta NASTY Eh?

These are the tools of the trade.  Just add a good pair of hands.

The part close to the front is clean the others yet to go.

Spray and scrubb and then wipe with the sponge and rinse.

Wipe with good clean dry cloth and Ta DAH!  Nice and clean.  All set for a butt?

The Worst:

Much Nicer

It is a bit in the shade on the left but the finished product is;

So for all those with clean interiors on your mind I highly recommend this cleaner and as a bonus it made the vinyl softer.  Now for the craigslist post.  What do you think 100 bucks? 

Later DAS
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:27:49 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #1April 28, 2013, 09:15:28 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Spring Cleaning and Getting the Soot out
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:15:28 am »
dish pan hands

Reply #2April 28, 2013, 10:27:56 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:27:56 am »
what ever chick you had in the backseat needs a good washin too..  ;D

Reply #3April 28, 2013, 02:10:25 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:10:25 pm »
None of the girls I ever went with would have jumped in that back seat!  I think two years in the shed folded up was the dasterly deed that made that happen. 

And yes the hands did get the same cleaning/ degreaser workout as the seat.  My wife noticed that at dinner I had none of the usual grease or oil on the backsides.  Do I do windows?  Only when attached to the VW or her Toyota. 

You guys are such a piece of the family.  Glare!!!   :-*

Reply #4April 28, 2013, 02:23:08 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 02:23:08 pm »
Is that factory material on that seat? It looks like something you would see in a boat.

That Super Clean stuff does work really well. And you can get it at Wal Mart by the gallon. But it's really corrosive or caustic actually... In fact I think it has lye in it. So I would avoid using it on aluminum and with vinyl I would worry that it might attack the plasticizers in the vinyl (vinyl is hard, like PVC pipe, without the addition of additives to make it soft). Be sure to rinse it very well. And do use gloves.

Reply #5April 28, 2013, 03:20:36 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »
I do think it is lye that makes this stuff work.  Thus rinse, rinse, rinse.  You can feel the slipperyness on your hands if you don't wear gloves.  But it will clean them better than hand cleaner if you don't.  Look Ma I washed em before I came to the table!  Do I get seconds on desert?   Seconds on Broccoli? 

The material on the seats is factory,  The two front seats were similar.  I removed them and sold them as well and put in some Racaros for increase butt and back time in the seats. 

I picked up a gallon for 8 bucks at the store this weekend as my spray bottle was on the last few ounces.

Reply #6April 28, 2013, 08:07:34 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:07:34 pm »
The slipperiness is the lye turning your body into soap.

Reply #7April 28, 2013, 10:44:47 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:44:47 pm »
Yep same feeling I used to get washing the chain that the bazillion burgers rode through the fire of death as a teen.  You put on gloves, dipped into the large bucket of lye laced water and pulled up the chain. Let it drip off for a bit then to the sink for wash and scrub.  It seemed to take forever to wash it and even with hot soapy water all over the place you could still feel the lye eating away at your hands.  No gloves worn for washing as they would tear right up using the giant steel wool scraper needed to get the burger bits off the chain links.

Most of the time the gloves had holes in them anyway and it was useless to even put them on.  You would just suck it up and grab the chain and run to the sink trying to make as little mess as you could with the dripping roll of chain.  I worked on cars a lot then and I can tell you that every little scrap you had on your hand, let alone a cut would scream and burn as you hit that liquid.  There were some guys that just couldn't do it.  They could wash it all right but not be able to take the burn for those 15 seconds of getting it out and around the corner to the sink.  They were in awe that several of us didn't blink and eye when we did it.  Maybe that is why I don't winch much when I scrap my hands or get a bird bite.  I just don't feel it?  Is there a pain meter out there? 

Reply #8April 29, 2013, 09:19:07 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 09:19:07 pm »
I dont have a bottle in front of me but theres some kind of sodium whatever (ok i got purple power in front of me)

Sodium silicate. Thats y cuts burn. Thats y do not spray on a hot engine.

Sodium = salt.......... Sodium whatever ya call it of the day still has some form of salt.
Usin it straight is good on greasy stuff.
The technology is not qwite there yet for a good awesome water based cleaner , close tho, IMO

Oh if you use those orange go jo hand wipes and eat a pizza your lips get numb. Kind of a bonus give one to the wife haah did i say that out loud?

I know if im using it a long time without gloves the top layer of skin gets all funky. Its like it files right off with an emery board
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:21:13 pm by hillfolk'r »
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #9April 30, 2013, 12:08:56 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 12:08:56 am »
You are supposed to wash your hands with soap and water after using the Go Jo cleaner or this new degreaser.  Like I said, rinse, rinse,rinse.  That is the trick to getting it off the parts and hands and such. 

Works well I would have to say. 

Reply #10May 04, 2013, 11:50:07 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:50:07 pm »
I just did the same thing the other day because we had a hot 95 degree day.

I had the interior from truck that  I believe sat for atleast 10 years looking nastier than that.

I gutted the truck because it was all over seatbelts, etc.

I used some purple power, pad and brush and the water on everything and went to town and soaked it all and it came out really good.  I washed until water was coming out clean, including the seatblets that I clamped retracted and let it sit in the sun all day and it seemed to whick dry out.

I also did the same with my 85 a few months ago.  That was a different story.  Clean car that the heater core went on and didn't find it right away and it got trapped in there and spread like wildfire.  I wore a mask and gutted that sucker to and let the whole car and parts air out and all was well, except the darn padding under the carpets.  I don't think that stuff sheds moisture :(
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #11May 05, 2013, 12:04:04 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 12:04:04 am »
Damac, stop pushing that hot air up here. Absolutely crazy at 83 today.  I started with the shoveling a pickup load of dirt, mowed the grass and the neighbors.  About 73 then and I sweating like a pig.  Glass upon glass of water.  I needed to kill some weeds so the sprayer came out.  Proper mix and application and with the heat I was seeing wilt in like an hour.  Then set up to top out the cherry tree.  By 4 I was wasted, came in showered and continued to drink water until dinner.  Very strange as it was still 77 out with the sun going down.  Gotta love those eastern winds.  Until the fire comes with it.  Then just run for the ocean.

S-PAutomotive.com