Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: forum icon... friendly competition?  (Read 2762 times)

April 24, 2013, 09:30:32 am

CRSMP5

forum icon... friendly competition?
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:32 am »
i told TylerDurden a idea of a logo for the forum.. his line art he posted in my sticker thread gave me a idea.. for a nice forum logo.. he to keep it to himself for now.. as others can use for business logo.. so gotta keep on downlow for now...

reason for this topic.. many years ago, 05 i took over a rc forum, redesigned it.. needed a "logo" for it.. and well a competition of members came up.. i ended up with a logo that could be put on shirts.. hats.. stickers so on.. powerfull.. easy to rember.. honestly.. i think when i pulled out of rc.. killed the forum due to outside bs.. i actually killed the class.. when i took it over in 05.. there was 1 brand.. by the time i killed the forum all the mfg.. even proto companies were making proto stuff for the class.. sadly i tried to give it away 30 day before it went gone.. and the interested party thought i was joking and well its gone now.. so is the class.. i had lots of fun in those days...

so who here has a idea for a forum logo? i think we need to set up a date.. and have who ever wants enter.. then on the same day between a certain time period everyone submits their image.. then let the members vote for the icon they feel is best.. then stickers/shirts and stuff can be made up..

its just a idea.. yea simple text works.. easy for stickers and stuff... but a icon.. i like what i suggested to TylerDurden... i think you all would too.. BUT fair is fair.. forum is owned by the members.. lets let the members make a icon for it.. no members = no forum.. why they own it..

Reply #1April 24, 2013, 01:56:56 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: forum icon... friendly competition?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:56:56 pm »
Have you talked to Marc yet?
Tyler

Reply #2April 24, 2013, 02:27:07 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »
nope.. trying to cover my arss incase issues arise.. like i stated above.. since i know people have been asking a while on site ink.. ive already stirred the pot on how to donate back to forum if i did sell any.. my issue why i never tried to sell car ink here.. i had a forum.. i know what its like.. same token.. i made the file avaliable for all.. just not allowed to sell them.. personal use.. give to friends yep... and honestly the only ones i sold were people i never met.. i gave away many stickers.. used the "cash' people to keep supplies.. they knew that.. :D id send my mods sheets to give away at local races.. was always fun to hand them out.. kinda why i missed having toast to give away at madness last year..

but before i menton it to him.. i want to see how many others may wanna design a logo.. i have a pm to tyler on a logo idea.. also told him to keep on the downlow as the admin will have to be brought in to this.. if he passes on it.. then i suggested a member who could use it as a business icon..

it will be powerful.. a must have imo.. but i want to see others ideas.. and the fair way is to get a assortment of ideas the members feel is a good fit.. then let them pick..

Reply #3April 24, 2013, 03:35:12 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:12 pm »
This should prove to be a well attended thread.  Maybe not as most of us are great with a wrench and suck with a pen or brush.  Maybe not.  Let's see.  Maybe do it as a poll to decide on best of best then down to top three or something like that.  Brain on.  I see a lot of logos out there and nothing speaks old VW keep it running sort of thing.  Oh, crap I just barked out my idea.   Plan b.

Reply #4April 24, 2013, 03:56:40 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:56:40 pm »
well it can be.. or it can be a we do not care what a icon for a forum should be.. i am hoping some post interest.. and no one can give away what they want to see or do till the date everyone can submit.. then give 48hrs of votes via a poll..

but the reason for not telling anyone what they are up to.. simple.. i want them to think what they have in their head will work.. and not feel like they have to compete with others ability..

me i suck.. i do better with paper then i will ever on a comp.. i am sort of lucky as i can do my drawings and get it onto a comp though.. :P not easy.. but hell if you or the maker wants.. i phone pic your drawing to me via email.. :P

the idea is have fun.. see what people can think the forum should look like..

Reply #5April 25, 2013, 09:10:40 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:40 am »
I suck with pen/pencil, but computer tools make it possible for me to generate marketable work.

For making logos and line-art, I suggest using Inkscape. It is a free vector-art application like Illustrator, but cross platform and FREE, with lots of community support and development.  Vector art has clean lines, regardless of how large/small it is scaled.

For grins & inspiration, google image search "inkscape vw" (remove quotes in search).