Author Topic: puddle of water on carpet of caddy  (Read 3158 times)

April 16, 2013, 12:09:05 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

puddle of water on carpet of caddy
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:05 pm »
My caddy's been parked nose up on a small incline and I've found the driver's side rear (behind the seat) carpet soaked with about an inch of water. Carpet under the pedals are dry, passenger side completely dry. Where are common water entry points in the Caddy that would cause such a puddle?

I haven't had a chance to spend time looking.

Reply #1April 16, 2013, 12:15:23 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: puddle of water on carpet of caddy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:23 pm »
Every body seam in the B pillar, and around/in the back glass.  Welcome to hell.

Pull the seats and carpet and B pillar covers and get someone to soak it with a hose and watch for the leak, bout all you can do.
Most of them leak to one degree or another at this point.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5572408-HOW-TO-Fix-Caddy-Rear-Cab-Wall-Vent-Leaks
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #2April 16, 2013, 01:57:31 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:57:31 pm »
I brought home my first caddy weeks ago, its pretty darn clean.  The car had been sitting in a garage for like 10 years I think, but rolled outside for a bit before I picked it up.  It had some mold buildup that luckily seems to wipe off.

Anyway same thing, it was a small puddle under the drivers side seat.  Also whatever protective coating they put down completely lifted off as a square in that area?  That area was also the only padding I touched that was soaked.  Car stunk so I yanked everything.

I was very annoyed recently to find that this truck and my 79 rabbit had headliner material wrapped around the window seal seams?

Does that have any impact on the leaks in these old cars?  Niether one of these cars looks to have any breach around fusebox which is good I guess, but what hell am I going to have to go through to replace the darn headliners.

If I yank mine out and have to take the darn windows out I don't want to reinstall the headliners like that around the windows.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #3April 16, 2013, 07:44:35 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:35 pm »
My headliner isn't original, but they were all tucked into the weatherstripping form the factory as far as I know..  There really is no other way to do it unless one is OK with a gap there.
I would think you could tuck the edges under the gaskets a wee bit with a dull plastic tool of some sort when reinstalling.
I can do a lot of things, interior stuff ain't one of em. 

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two