S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Ashley's mk2 cabriolet 1.6na auto diesel swap project  (Read 4077 times)

April 03, 2013, 10:59:53 pm

Enslaved_Pickle

• User+

Ashley's mk2 cabriolet 1.6na auto diesel swap project
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:59:53 pm »
Thought i would get my build thread on here first but it looks like its gonna be my girlfriends  :o
I bout her a 1990 cabriolet with 135,000k, no rust, two motors and trannies for $1000
The motor in the car needed to be swaped out for the good one and the previous owner didn't get around to it.

I thought about just getting it running and that would be it..... But i did just get a strong 1.6 for free ;)

I only have a few concerns so far and i'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I have two 010 auto trannies, the code on one is HOL not sure of the other
Is there anyone else using this tranny with a 1.6?

What rpm will the motor be at when the tranny shifts? Higher than 3000?
And what will highway speed be like (100kmh)
And i'll need a part number for an auto diesel starter for an 010 trans

Other than that i'm good :)

And the car

Mk3 1.9L turbo diesel rat

Reply #1April 03, 2013, 11:06:19 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Ashley's mk2 cabriolet 1.6na auto diesel swap project
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:06:19 pm »
My mom's 84 Jetta is a 1.6 with a 010.

You need the automatic throttle cables and the special bracket that goes on the IP. There is a bearing/bushing that goes in the end of the crankshaft that isn't present on 5 speeds.

HOL is not a code (as far as I know)

Check this site for codes and ratios
http://zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm

and then go to www.scirocco.org/gears and do some math.

You'll probably be running right around 3000 on the highway, maybe a bit more. Shift points depend on how far your foot is into it.

Your tranny code is on the top of the tranny on the flange where it connects to the engine. It's between the TDC pointer and the governor.

Good luck finding a 010 diesel starter. They are rare and you do need one.
Tyler

Reply #2April 03, 2013, 11:26:44 pm

Enslaved_Pickle

• User+

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:26:44 pm »

You need the automatic throttle cables and the special bracket that goes on the IP. There is a bearing/bushing that goes in the end of the crankshaft that isn't present on 5 speeds.

Good luck finding a 010 diesel starter. They are rare and you do need one.

Thanks for the quick response :) i didn't expect to hear from anyone for a few days, and i have 2 sets of auto cables for it, i'll probably make the pump bracket. The bearing/bushing should be on the 1.8 crank now then right?

And i've read people get away with the gas starter in the summer but no chance come winter time so i might just leave that for now if it works

Reply #3April 03, 2013, 11:31:03 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 11:31:03 pm »
Yeah the 1.8 should have it on it now, and if you can take a picture of it that would be most helpful.

I can measure my pump bracket for you so you know how to build it.

I tried a brand new gas auto starter and I couldn't get it to crank the engine over. It was sitting on the floor and I didn't have good battery cables so that may have actually been the issue.
Tyler

Reply #4April 03, 2013, 11:59:34 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:34 pm »
Back when I had my auto rabbit napa could still get the auto diesel starters but that was 5 years ago
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #5April 04, 2013, 10:27:24 pm

Reply #6April 04, 2013, 11:02:12 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:02:12 pm »
I should mention that I have a proper diesel auto. It has an e mode which is like d except when you let off the throttle completely it switches to n. It's a real teeth saver at stop lights.
Tyler

Reply #7April 05, 2013, 05:33:48 am

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 05:33:48 am »
I'll be running a 010 auto also in my 84 jetta with  a 1.6td

I talked to my friend a local VW guru for 35 years - he said it is real important to protect the starter from heat - as it is close to the exhaust\turbo.

It is very common to drive somewhere, get back in and start the car - but it won't turn over as the solenoid &  starter has been overheated by the exhaust.

Reply #8April 05, 2013, 07:47:23 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 07:47:23 am »

I talked to my friend a local VW guru for 35 years - he said it is real important to protect the starter from heat - as it is close to the exhaust\turbo.

It is very common to drive somewhere, get back in and start the car - but it won't turn over as the solenoid &  starter has been overheated by the exhaust.

yep, there was also an upgrade kit where u added a relay for the starter solenoid that helped get more current to the over heated solenoid and get things moving.  i like that thread on vortex, don't low ball me haha, dudes lucky if he can find 1 person with in driving distance that wants that transmission, they are very rare and i am a fan of that trans but i think 99% of people will swap in a 5 speed with a new clutch before swapping in a 30 year old used automatic transmission
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #9April 05, 2013, 06:23:23 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 06:23:23 pm »

yep, there was also an upgrade kit where u added a relay for the starter solenoid that helped get more current to the over heated solenoid and get things moving. 

Yea, my friend mentioned this, but in passing - so I didn't post.

Can you clarify the upgrade?  The starter has 12v running to it from the battery. The solenoid is a relay in itself. You turn the key , small amperage goes to solenoid, it engages and give the amps from the battery to the starter.

So the relay goes between the ignition switch and the solenoid?

Help me? It must be the Canadian rye- based beverage.    :)  After all it is Friday pm.

Reply #10April 05, 2013, 06:46:41 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 06:46:41 pm »

Exactly. Because that wire runs through the ignition switch and wherever else it often isn't strong enough to energize the solenoid. It's lower amperage, but not low amperage.
Tyler

Reply #11April 06, 2013, 06:36:14 am

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:36:14 am »

Exactly. Because that wire runs through the ignition switch and wherever else it often isn't strong enough to energize the solenoid. It's lower amperage, but not low amperage.

Thanks!  So I better stock up on the  cheap Ford starter relays - 1 for glow plugs, 1 for starter, 1 for headlights, 1 for flux capacitor   ;D

Didn't mean to hijack.........

Reply #12April 11, 2013, 06:05:46 am

Enslaved_Pickle

• User+

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:46 am »
Well this idea is probably gonna get pushed aside....at least for now, due to the fact she needs this up and running like yesterday and so i'm just gonna fix the 1.8 thats in it for now.

If anyone needs a good 1.6 na i'll be selling one shortly :)

S-PAutomotive.com