Author Topic: Bentley service manual - Worth it?  (Read 3344 times)

August 04, 2004, 07:01:00 am

Centurion

• Junior

Bentley service manual - Worth it?
« on: August 04, 2004, 07:01:00 am »
Look - I'll be honest - I have been rebuilding engines since I was a kid - 30 years ago - So - for those of you that have a bentley for the deisel - is it worth it -

Yes - I need to rebuild at least 3 engines - actually I have a 1500 left just for a familiarization teardown and quick build. - I'll probalby use it to run a gen set and air compressor when finished - but it running well is not mission critical.

However - I have 4 blocks - on crates - and these are my Gene pool for the next set of cars for myself - and like most of us - I want them to be the best rebuilds my hands can turn out.

So - worth it?

Thanks! Centurion

BTW - I also need to strip and rebuild at least one trans - now this has been alwhile - I have not fixed one of these since beetle days and rebuilding the IRS trany.

90 Jetta TD - 589,000km, 90 Jetta TD 448, FrankenJetta ...looking for a Can

Reply #1August 04, 2004, 11:33:51 am

Centurion

• Junior

Bentley service manual - Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 11:33:51 am »
Yeh - I know - I have run these and fixed them with no manual for ten years - I have taken more stuff apart with no manual than angels would admit to.

I'll grab it! - may offer some incite into some test equipment I need to build; to check things.

[What do you expect from someone who ran chainsaw engines and lawnmower engines on bicycles 30 years ago - "Need for Speed" - what can I say!]

Crap - I am a junk collector - I just had my last A1 picked up this summer - front horns rusted out - and the engine was the donor car for one of the 90 cans.
90 Jetta TD - 589,000km, 90 Jetta TD 448, FrankenJetta ...looking for a Can

Fixmyvw.com