Author Topic: K03 Wastegate Frozen  (Read 1751 times)

March 21, 2013, 11:27:36 am

homerj1

• Veteran

K03 Wastegate Frozen
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:27:36 am »
The K03 I was just about to put on my 1.6td, has a frozen wastegate. ( actually the other 2 K03's are the same)

I've tried lightly hammering on the lever and the housing - but no movement. Tried applying a bit of air to the actuator - no go.

Currently I have all 3 of them sitting the bench, have filled the waste gate side with penetrating oil, hoping this will loosen something.   They are the turbo's below with the funky flange.

Any ideas? Some heat?

thanks

Aivars

Reply #1March 21, 2013, 11:33:23 am

kaneb

• Junior

• www.dasdubbers.org
Re: K03 Wastegate Frozen
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:33:23 am »
By frozen you mean seized ya?  Id soak some penetrating oil on the lever. Apply some heat with a torch or something to the housing and then try working it back in forth.  Keep dosing it with good pentrant oil and eventually it will come free if it isn't really badly seized.  The heat will expand the housing giving you more clearance to loosen up the lever and help the pentrant oil really sink in.

Hope that helps.
2004 Tdi sport-daily
1983 Rabbit TD-go kart
www.dasdubbers.org

Reply #2March 21, 2013, 01:13:41 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

Re: K03 Wastegate Frozen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:13:41 pm »
By frozen you mean seized ya?  Id soak some penetrating oil on the lever. Apply some heat with a torch or something to the housing and then try working it back in forth.  Keep dosing it with good pentrant oil and eventually it will come free if it isn't really badly seized.  The heat will expand the housing giving you more clearance to loosen up the lever and help the pentrant oil really sink in.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, yes it is seized. I tried the above and will let it sit overnight.

S-PAutomotive.com