Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Desperation, fear, and loathing in Maine. Need a 12 mm mechanical head.  (Read 5244 times)

March 13, 2013, 01:20:57 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
Well my head is warped. So I need a 12mm mechanical head. Desperate. I don't have have a ton of money. Can anyone out there please help me out? This is my only car and living in Maine without a car is like being on the moon without a spacesuit.
I am either going to buy a head or a revolver with one bullet.
And these days it seems like it may be easier to find the head. ;)
Thanks.
Text or call if you would like. 207 310 067eight
Sent from Outer Space!

Reply #1March 13, 2013, 01:24:00 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
How warped is it? You can get it machined if it's not too bad.
Tyler

Reply #2March 13, 2013, 02:40:26 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
O rly? What's the cost involved in that? My budget is around $200

Sent from Outer Space!

Reply #3March 13, 2013, 02:53:31 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
also how warped is it?  a guy i know bought a rabbit that had been severely over heated, the head was warped .010" and he just reinstalled it with no issues so far.  it might be worth a shot to reinstall it if it's 10 or less
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4March 13, 2013, 03:35:01 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
I was recently quoted a 115 dollar price for pressure checking and milling on an 11 mm head I have.  Price in Portland, OR. 

I may exchange that work for the lower end of the diesel engine I have sans all internals.  Guy needs to bore it out and install his parts.  Just cracked the block after doing all the work.

Reply #5March 13, 2013, 04:16:12 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
I paid around $80 a few years ago to have my head shaved 0.004.

If you are attempting to use a metal gasket your head must be flat. I had one leak immediately upon startup with a 0.004" warp. I've also had the fiber ones leak with warped heads. I forget how warped it was though
Tyler

Reply #6March 13, 2013, 04:39:55 pm

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
pull the head and check the warpage. if it's less the 010 put it back together with a 3 notch gasket and new bolts. oh yeah, one more thing: don't let it get hot again.
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #7March 13, 2013, 05:07:30 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
I don't have a Bentley in front of me right now but I'm pretty sure the spec is 0.004" or 0.10mm max warpage. Do not attempt it if you are warped more than that, it is highly unlikely to seal. Also, use the proper sized head gasket, it does matter.
Tyler

Reply #8March 13, 2013, 05:53:33 pm

745 turbogreasel

A little bird once told me if they are warped long ways, you can press them straight, YMMV

Reply #9March 13, 2013, 10:05:48 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
Where does one find a head presser?

Sent from Outer Space!

Reply #10March 13, 2013, 10:07:55 pm

CRSMP5

Re: Desperation, fear, and loathing in Maine. Need a 12 mm mechanical head.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:55 pm »
200$ budget not going to get you much..

i have one.. no history.. do not like how it looks to have had a valve seat installed.. so 125$ shipped.. came w/car i got.. in tub in back... i just do not trust it as someone changed a valve seat at 1 point..

ive seen stuff like that fail.. so do not trust for myself..

but it looks crack free and ll besides that.. just you gotta trust a machine shop did it right.. i dont..

Reply #11March 13, 2013, 10:11:36 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:11:36 pm »
shop press or big weight....
If you straighten it, the cam journals don't get out of whack like  if you skim a warped head.

Reply #12March 14, 2013, 10:58:12 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 10:58:12 am »
If you have more time than money, you can flatten the head gasket surface by lapping the head with lubricated 100 grit sandpaper on something hard and flat (e.g. polished granite).  That's easier on the pre-chamber inserts than running a cutter across them and will leave them a little proud due to their harder material which is what you want.  I've used sandpaper for a hardwood floor sander.  Pieces as large as the head should be available at any tool rental place that rents drum sanders. 

Reply #13March 14, 2013, 03:05:50 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
200$ budget not going to get you much..

i have one.. no history.. do not like how it looks to have had a valve seat installed.. so 125$ shipped.. came w/car i got.. in tub in back... i just do not trust it as someone changed a valve seat at 1 point..

ive seen stuff like that fail.. so do not trust for myself..

but it looks crack free and ll besides that.. just you gotta trust a machine shop did it right.. i dont..
I will certainly keep this in mind as I go along here. Thx.

If you have more time than money, you can flatten the head gasket surface by lapping the head with lubricated 100 grit sandpaper on something hard and flat (e.g. polished granite).  That's easier on the pre-chamber inserts than running a cutter across them and will leave them a little proud due to their harder material which is what you want.  I've used sandpaper for a hardwood floor sander.  Pieces as large as the head should be available at any tool rental place that rents drum sanders. 
Thanks for giving me something that is right up my alley. I do have way more time than money.

I just remembered last night my friend rebuilds engines for a living. He may be able to check the head/ fix it for free. But we shall see.
Sent from Outer Space!

Reply #14March 14, 2013, 11:14:43 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:43 pm »
well i got access to a paypal acct... ups is 10min away... so just let me know... bbob can look at it for you too.. i expect to see him tues evening.. i know he has "looked" at it.. but ive never pointed out its flaw to him..

i will remove the cam pre shipping.. do not need idiots to drop it to damage a valve.. had that issue 12 years ago.. sadly never saw damage till it dropped a valve :( which ruimed the engine.. and for how it was packed still do not get how damage occured.. so cam will be removed..

Fixmyvw.com