Author Topic: liquid engine mounts ??  (Read 3788 times)

March 04, 2006, 04:28:49 am

maddog007

• User+

liquid engine mounts ??
« on: March 04, 2006, 04:28:49 am »
Me Again.

my golf has a little bit of excessive vibration at idle,not chronic but there.
Idont really know exactly where all the engine mounts are,so its hard for me to check them.

But i noticed that there is something at the rear of the engine ,just below the intake manifold/turbo area.that looks similar to a mount.
The thing is that it has a lot of oil or grease on it,yet my engine apears to be very clean  & free of leaks.
Is this possibly a oil filled engine mount ??
for you guys it probably best discribed as on the passenger side rear (LHD), Mines drivers side as its right hand drive.

Reply #1March 04, 2006, 04:52:12 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

liquid engine mounts ??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 04:52:12 am »
Yeah, that's one of the mounts. There is another one on the opposite side behind the transmission and another in front of the engine. It's slightly to the left of the starter when you're looking at the engine. Etka doesn't say anything about it being fluid filled and actually says it's the same as the ABA which I've replaced the mounts on numerous times and they are not hydraulic. It is simply a rubber material with a sort of honeycomb pattern in it to dampen vibration.

Reply #2March 04, 2006, 07:49:41 am

52 horses

RE: liquid engine mounts
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 07:49:41 am »
If that mount is covered in oil you should replace it... That oil or whatever is on the mount could or has made it weak... where I live there is alot of pot holes in the roads and when the mount gets week it sounds like a clunking is comeing right up through the floor pan..

Reply #3March 04, 2006, 01:56:18 pm

maddog007

• User+

liquid engine mounts ??
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 01:56:18 pm »
Hmm... I wonder where this oil is coming from then, the rest of the engine seems very clean. even from underneath.

Reply #4March 04, 2006, 08:43:32 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
liquid engine mounts ??
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 08:43:32 pm »
Quote from: "maddog007"
Hmm... I wonder where this oil is coming from then, the rest of the engine seems very clean. even from underneath.

I bet a bunch of Oil Gnomes took a break at the Harley Davidson plant here and went to beautiful New Zealand on vacation.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #5March 04, 2006, 09:43:05 pm

maddog007

• User+

liquid engine mounts ??
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 09:43:05 pm »
Quote from: "Kudagra"

I bet a bunch of Oil Gnomes took a break at the Harley Davidson plant here and went to beautiful New Zealand on vacation.

ha ha ,the reason i want a cheap running diesel is that it should free up some cash to save for my harley  8)

Reply #6March 05, 2006, 11:09:48 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
liquid engine mounts ??
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:09:48 pm »

ha ha ,the reason i want a cheap running diesel is that it should free up some cash to save for my harley  8)

Try to trap one. Then you can hold him hostage till the other ones bring you what you want. They are attracted by cleanliness. Specifically engine bays...but they have been known to hang out near the rears of RWD/AWD cars and at axle hubs.

I had an infestation of the little buggers in the fan shroud of my 71 beetle. I finally submerged it in a canal and it must have drownd them. Of course that engine never ran again.

Reply #7March 06, 2006, 03:30:39 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

liquid engine mounts ??
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 03:30:39 pm »
Quote from: "Kudagra"

Try to trap one. Then you can hold him hostage till the other ones bring you what you want. They are attracted by cleanliness. Specifically engine bays...but they have been known to hang out near the rears of RWD/AWD cars and at axle hubs.

I had an infestation of the little buggers in the fan shroud of my 71 beetle. I finally submerged it in a canal and it must have drownd them. Of course that engine never ran again.

Old landrovers and subaru's have hordes of them... :lol:  You'd think they would keep the undercarriage from rusting, but no...   :roll:
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #8March 06, 2006, 10:07:01 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
liquid engine mounts ??
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 10:07:01 pm »
Quote from: "zyewdall"

Old landrovers and subaru's have hordes of them... :lol:  You'd think they would keep the undercarriage from rusting, but no...   :roll:

Come to think of it my 74 Cherokee had some that were pyros. I had to put that out with my hand. Im glad it was an auto because shifting a manual with second degree blisters all over my hand would have sucked. BTW..I first saw the flames through the holes in the floorboard. That thing was fun.