Author Topic: what is this lever ment do to anyway.  (Read 3503 times)

March 03, 2006, 11:02:00 pm

maddog007

• User+

what is this lever ment do to anyway.
« on: March 03, 2006, 11:02:00 pm »
Real newbie question here, inside the car near the steering wheel is a pull out lever,like a choke lever or something , it seems to move a cable that runs down between my injection pump & the block.
The cable apears to move freely & plenty ,but doesnt seem to alter anything,like revs or running of the engine. im a bit lost anyway.

94 AAZ 1.9TD.bosch pump.

Reply #1March 04, 2006, 02:03:00 am

LeeG

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:03:00 am »
That would be the cold start leaver.  Advances timing and boosts RPM 4 cold starting.  Opinions differ on how to use it, pull it out before cranking or pull it out just after it fires.

I can't say that mine makes the car easier to start, but the extra RPM is nice if it needs to idle for a while when cold.  Doesnt get too cold around here though.
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #2March 04, 2006, 03:48:49 am

maddog007

• User+

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 03:48:49 am »
Quote from: "LeeG"
That would be the cold start leaver.  Advances timing and boosts RPM 4 cold starting.  Opinions differ on how to use it, pull it out before cranking or pull it out just after it fires.

I can't say that mine makes the car easier to start, but the extra RPM is nice if it needs to idle for a while when cold.  Doesnt get too cold around here though.

Ok, Mine doesent work then,it doesnt alter the running or rpms at all.
not that my golf has any problem cold starting without it.
i will have to see if the cable is still fixed into its linkage,as it seems to move freely, & has lots of cable travel.

Reply #3March 04, 2006, 09:53:08 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:53:08 pm »
Your cold start timing advance won't change the RPM if your car is equipped with AC. The cold idle boost function on AC equipped cars works though the same solenoid and vacuum dashpot as the AC idle boost. The cold start advance handle only advances the timing. If you listen carefully you'll hear the engine note get a bit more "rattly" when the handle is pulled.

Reply #4March 04, 2006, 09:57:50 pm

maddog007

• User+

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 09:57:50 pm »
Quote from: "QuickTD"
Your cold start timing advance won't change the RPM if your car is equipped with AC. The cold idle boost function on AC equipped cars works though the same solenoid and vacuum dashpot as the AC idle boost. The cold start advance handle only advances the timing. If you listen carefully you'll hear the engine note get a bit more "rattly" when the handle is pulled.

oh thats why, thanks QuickTD, I dont know why southpark takes the piss out of you canadians so much, you lot a so helpful. :D

Reply #5March 04, 2006, 10:16:50 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 10:16:50 pm »
Southpark pisses on Canadians for the same reason everyone else does, we're a docile bunch and we'll take it... :D

S-PAutomotive.com