Author Topic: WTB: Manual transmission conversion for ALH  (Read 4295 times)

March 05, 2013, 10:50:50 am

NWVintage

WTB: Manual transmission conversion for ALH
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:50:50 am »
Really, I'm hoping to find a part out that's in the early stages...

I need everything - gearbox, axles, shifter, pedal cluster, master cylinder, etc.

Anyone? Please?! I'm begging...

Wifey's slush-o-matic went from as good as it gets to just about to fail in a matter of a week or two! I have to do this thing now!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:00:31 pm by NWVintage »

1981 Rabbit 4door 1.6 N/A IDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI
1983 Ford F250 6.9 N/A IDI - "Big Red"

Reply #1March 05, 2013, 05:57:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: WTB: Manual transmission conversion for ALH
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:57:04 pm »
The TDI club there was a guy selling the complete conversions, but I couldn't find it for you.

Reply #2March 06, 2013, 11:20:54 am

NWVintage

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:54 am »
The TDI club there was a guy selling the complete conversions, but I couldn't find it for you.

Thanks for the tip - I'll look!

On a related note - since you seem to be something of a guru - I'm not an idiot to assume that all parts other than the actual gearing of the transmission will be the same on all 2000-2003 Jetta's, am I? I know that there is linkage/shifter stuff that that's different on the 1999.5 but I should be able to salvage the pedal cluster, master cylinder, and such from any 00-03 Jetta, right?
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI

Reply #3March 07, 2013, 12:41:46 am

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:41:46 am »
Sending you a PM.
'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #4March 07, 2013, 09:59:51 am

annieneff

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:59:51 am »
The guy on tdi is Franz. He's from the Netherlands. He has everything and startlingly reasonable prices. I sound like a commercial for him. Check him out before you buy anything though. He usually takes a day to get back to you because of the time difference, but his parts are really competitive (price wise and condition/mileage wise) with anything here, even with shipping. He must be running a chop shop or something for late model tdi's.
He also has lots of TD stuff for us on this side of the board (I was looking for an old ko3 awhile ago and couldn't find one anywhere. He had it).
Anyway, I just ordered a complete swap from him (afn with chip; 140hp should be interesting :)). He provided references, and all of them only had good things to say about him.
I'm in Seattle too. Maybe we could piggy back on shipping, if you use him, and save a buck or two (or euro or two)?

Your question about the transmissions being the same for 00-03; they're all the same-- plug and play-- except the gearing. With the gearing, All the tdi ones are the same, but the gasser ones are way different. Don't get a gasser one. It will plug in and "work" but you won't be happy.
You might condsider adding a 6th gear and/or a taller 5th gear if your doing the swap and have the whole thing out anyway. I think 6 gears are coolest, especially around Seattle, but tall 5th gears make sense too. Lots of links on that other site about these upgrades as well.
Good luck!

Reply #5March 07, 2013, 10:06:17 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:17 am »
Bingo. I tried to help, but others came to the rescue. Good job forum.

Reply #6March 07, 2013, 10:16:53 am

NWVintage

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:16:53 am »
The guy on tdi is Franz. He's from the Netherlands. He has everything and startlingly reasonable prices. I sound like a commercial for him. Check him out before you buy anything though. He usually takes a day to get back to you because of the time difference, but his parts are really competitive (price wise and condition/mileage wise) with anything here, even with shipping. He must be running a chop shop or something for late model tdi's.
He also has lots of TD stuff for us on this side of the board (I was looking for an old ko3 awhile ago and couldn't find one anywhere. He had it).
Anyway, I just ordered a complete swap from him (afn with chip; 140hp should be interesting :)). He provided references, and all of them only had good things to say about him.
I'm in Seattle too. Maybe we could piggy back on shipping, if you use him, and save a buck or two (or euro or two)?

Your question about the transmissions being the same for 00-03; they're all the same-- plug and play-- except the gearing. With the gearing, All the tdi ones are the same, but the gasser ones are way different. Don't get a gasser one. It will plug in and "work" but you won't be happy.
You might condsider adding a 6th gear and/or a taller 5th gear if your doing the swap and have the whole thing out anyway. I think 6 gears are coolest, especially around Seattle, but tall 5th gears make sense too. Lots of links on that other site about these upgrades as well.
Good luck!

Thanks! I think that I may have found a different guy on TDIclub (username RyanP). He does 6-speed setups from England. The whole deal - trans, mount, bolts (new where stretch are used), all clutch bits ~$2250USD shipped ($1500GBP). Going to finalize my order today - stoked!!!

Not to link another forum, but...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=373687&highlight=6-speed+swap
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI

Fixmyvw.com