Author Topic: Different injectors for Veg oil?  (Read 2789 times)

February 27, 2013, 09:07:24 am

Bugsy_malone 666

• Junior

Different injectors for Veg oil?
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:07:24 am »
Ok so I have been reading a few threads on here during my lunch to see what other problems people have been having with their stuff as I have been having a few issues with my TD that has had a few hundred miles on veg oil.

It seemed that as a general there was a mention of using lower pressure N/A injectors made things more efficient up to a point, with the possibility of it being a problem under alot of boost. So I was thinking I have a standard TD which probably doesn't really see a whole lot of boost with a stock turbo that doesn't spool up fully to the higher RPM.

Now also I use veg oil, plus I have a few problems. So I was thinking of using my spare N/A injectors in my TD temp to see if my running problems are cured but wondered if it might actually be more useful long term because of the veg oil, which its heated and cleaned WVO I thought maybe with a lower pop off might vapourize it better and give better combustion?

Is is alright to just use N/A injectors in a Turbo longer term (5k maybe)?

Reply #1February 27, 2013, 12:15:12 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Different injectors for Veg oil?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:15:12 pm »
Ok so I have been reading a few threads on here during my lunch to see what other problems people have been having with their stuff as I have been having a few issues with my TD that has had a few hundred miles on veg oil.

It seemed that as a general there was a mention of using lower pressure N/A injectors made things more efficient up to a point, with the possibility of it being a problem under alot of boost. So I was thinking I have a standard TD which probably doesn't really see a whole lot of boost with a stock turbo that doesn't spool up fully to the higher RPM.

Now also I use veg oil, plus I have a few problems. So I was thinking of using my spare N/A injectors in my TD temp to see if my running problems are cured but wondered if it might actually be more useful long term because of the veg oil, which its heated and cleaned WVO I thought maybe with a lower pop off might vapourize it better and give better combustion?

Is is alright to just use N/A injectors in a Turbo longer term (5k maybe)?

Lots of folks have done it without issue - even just because the NA injectors are easier to come by than the TD ones.

Whether you will see any improvements or not is another story.  I doubt you will see any significant efficiency gains.  Note that changing to the NA injectors will cause your timing to be advanced since they pop sooner. 
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2February 27, 2013, 12:50:25 pm

vegged-out

• User+

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:25 pm »

Veg oil has a slower flame speed so sometimes the problem is that the timing is effectively retarded by this. Your proposal will fix that. (if thats the "problem')
I also find when the veg is cold and thick there is a further retardation of timing as the internal pump pressure is reduced 'cause it has to suck so hard.
(only if your fuel heating system is ineffective or filter clogged) I also advise a low pressure fuel pump between the vo tank and filter, this also makes priming filter a breeze.
Michiel

Reply #3February 27, 2013, 08:49:47 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:47 pm »
Yeah I run wmo and I found I lost my diesel clatter unless I run considerably advanced timing, to compensate for the low flame speed just as ^^ said. Colder is worse

Reply #4February 28, 2013, 12:39:51 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:39:51 am »
When running Veg Oil what nozzle do you folks generally use?  I have the standard 130 bar injectors that came stock on the 1981 Diesel Rabbit and have wondered if I should be converting to another as I run Veg oil on the long hauls but standard around town.

Reply #5February 28, 2013, 07:24:36 am

vegged-out

• User+

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:24:36 am »

I am running MTDIs with .206 nozzles with stock break pressures in my vanagons, but this is a different injector type than yours.
On my daughters Jetta AAZ the injectors are stock and probably a little worn and it runs smooth on VO and diesel. You really can't tell when you switch fuels. (heat exchanger and fuel pump)
Michiel

Reply #6February 28, 2013, 07:26:20 am

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:20 am »
Elsbett nozzles are designed for vegetable oil, primarily single tank systems but they work great with diesel, biodiesel or veg oil in two tank systems  (maybe an added bit of insurance value over Bosch nozzles);  however they are spendy.  Monark nozzles are also recommended by some.  Both of these have troughed tips instead of pittles and have interchange numbers between Mercedes and VW applications; troughed tips are claimed to have better atomization of thicker fluids and self cleaning properties.  Some folks feel the spray pattern might be wrong based on the pattern of pittled Bosch nozzles for Mercedes being different from VW but Elsbett (anyways) has a more narrow than standard spray pattern to reduce contact with cylinder walls (i don't know how but thats what they say).

Prothe sells a chinese knock off with troughed tips that seem to not have a bad reputation.

i have been running Elsbetts for a couple of months but only using biodiesel right now (there was a very good deal on ebay).  They seem to burn cleaner and might have a little more power...but some other engine mods might be accounting for some of that too.

Reply #7February 28, 2013, 05:26:34 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:26:34 pm »
My experience is that if  the car runs poorly  on veg, but not diesel, your problem is not in the nozzle.

Fixmyvw.com