S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Bad idle, lots of smoke, and massive frustration  (Read 3901 times)

February 26, 2013, 11:40:10 am

annieneff

Bad idle, lots of smoke, and massive frustration
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:40:10 am »
Hello,

So van aaz was running really poorly. It was tough to start, smoked like Armageddon, and zero power. Brought it into the shop and they said low low low bad compression. All new valve guides, and valves later I drive it for 2 days. 2 days go by and it's great, then massive bummer and sucky return. Smoke, barely idle, zero power. Didn't happen while driving it, just started it up one morning and it didn't start the good way. Then smoke and sadness.
I've checked timing; spot on. Turbo is brand spanking new. Pump is less than a year old from Giles.
I haven't checked compression since getting it back. Don't have a compression tester but I could get one if that was the direction people thought I needed to go.
I'm thinking fuel delivery: fuel filter? Possible injector(s) misbehaving and needing new?
Or air intake? Van came with dumbass cone filter that I haven't got around to changing. Connected with 3" PVC pipe. Maybe not getting enough air and its clogging stuff up?
I have intercooler that I created too. It's not pretty to look at (no shiny fancy silicone) but I think I'd hear an air leak if that was happening. Maybe water is condensing in it though? Maybe?
As you can see I'm at a little loss, and frustrated. I'd take it back to the shop, but I'm reluctant to take it to them for a few reasons. 1 just spent a sload with them for them to apparently misdiagnose it and give it a 2 day fix. 2. They are in the process of moving locations and wouldn't be able to get to it for a month. Don't want to wait a month. 
Any help will make me worship you and buy you a case of your favorite beer (you only get the beer if it leads to a fix). Also, I'm in seattle. if you want to come over and help, it's really warm out today, probably around 75 degrees, and there are really good looking girls in bikinis surrounding the van at all times (like 15 of them) and oohing and aweing and cheering and being impressed at all times at how manly and awesome mechanics are. No joke.
I'll check this post in between changing the fuel filter and being mad today. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!!!
Andrew

Reply #1February 26, 2013, 12:56:50 pm

annieneff

Re: Bad idle, lots of smoke, and massive frustration
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »
I see 9 people have read my sad plea of a post but are too chicken to respond. Common, hazard a idea you gutless wonders!
I'm going to change the fuel filter right now. I'll report back afterwards. If this fixes it ill be both relieved and pissed that it was so stupid simple and the garage didn't figure it out sooner.
When I check back I expect someone's opinion as well. Say it's the steering wheel for all I care, but give me something.

Reply #2February 26, 2013, 01:12:46 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 01:12:46 pm »
I want to assume that if the shop diagnosed bad compression and then removed the head to do work.. they would have done a compression check upon reassembly.

I have had this same exact problem when my fuel system was plugged and the pump could not get enough fuels.

Change the fuel filter and try, if no go then run both fuel lines (feed and return) in to a jug of fresh diesel and try again. Eliminating any fuel tank or line issues.

Reply #3February 26, 2013, 01:48:20 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:48:20 pm »
The shop diagnosed it as low compression, and did a valve job. Did they do a leak down test and determined it was the valves? Usually low compression is due to rings. I read some of your earlier posts where you described a bad seat in one of the injector holes which was full of carbon. What did you do to fix that? Could it be packed with carbon again?

Is this the van where you installed my converted W terminal tach?

Reply #4February 26, 2013, 01:59:08 pm

annieneff

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:59:08 pm »
Installed fuel filter and... Dead battery.
I'm leaning towards 8v's explanation. I'll report back after I get a new battery now. And if it doesn't clear it up ill foollow the lines back as you suggest.

Eco-- yes it's the same one as the tach. Got the tach in there, ran it for the 2 days, and now bummerville. Hopefully this new filter and battery in a 1/2 hr will fix it....

Thanks for hazarding guys! ;)

Reply #5February 26, 2013, 02:43:20 pm

annieneff

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:43:20 pm »
Nope. Fuel filter did nothing.
8v: I remember your post awhile ago about this same problem... Is there a pump in the gas tank somewhere? I seem to remember your supposed to hear it when you turn the key to make the glow plugs warm up.  I hear nothing, but I might be combining posts that I've read.
On a different maybe related note. The glow plugs seem to be taking a long long ass time to warm up even with new battery. Then when I did just get it started just now the glow plug light came back on. Does that help me/us at all with diagnostics?

Eco-- I did fix the dorked injector hole. It didn't have any blowby after I gently lapped it and smoothed it out a bit and replaced the washer in there. Also, the engine was recently rebuilt, top to bottom, so were assuming the rings are okay. When this shop looked at the valves after the compression test, they noticed there were no valve guides. The person that rebuilt this thing might have been a big enough asshat to have messed up the bottom end, but for now let's assume its fine.

Reply #6February 26, 2013, 03:09:00 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:09:00 pm »
engine without valve guides? impossible unless he was pulling your leg.

you're dead battery maybe the glow plugs turning on when they're not suppose to.

Reply #7February 26, 2013, 03:12:52 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 03:12:52 pm »
what color is the smoke? do you have a clear return to tank fuel line?

Reply #8February 26, 2013, 03:40:59 pm

annieneff

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:40:59 pm »
Smoke is white. Big billowing white clouds, like my own little hurricane sandy.
I don't have clear return line. Wishing I did right about now. Maybe the next thing I'll run to the store and get here.

I tried putting the feed and return in a jug of fresh diesel and it wouldn't start. Definitely used the diesel in the container, but didn't burn it.

No secondary pump in the gas tank on this one (1983 vanagon)? Seems like diesel would be shooting out of my fuel filter if there was.

Battery was disconnected while it sat for a few weeks. I think the battery was just old, and it's cold out now (I lied earlier about the temperature here). Glow plugs seem to be heating up faster now that I've cycled them a few times.

I can't remember if the shop pop tested the injectors. I'll find it about that next. Would f'd injectors account for all the badness though?

Reply #9February 26, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

annieneff

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »
8v;

I member reading your post that was similar to my problem here, but I can't find it. If you know where it is offhand could you send me a link or something?

Looking for a shop in seattle that does pop testing...

Reply #10February 26, 2013, 05:22:12 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:22:12 pm »
you have to prime it to get the air out so you can run it from the container.

slow down a little. don't take the injectors out just yet. if your car was running fine and then all of a sudden something changed, maybe something loosened up?  maybe air getting in?

white smoke can be retarded timing or air in fuel. first thing to do is put in a clear return line and verify there are no bubbles.

Reply #11February 26, 2013, 05:33:16 pm

annieneff

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 05:33:16 pm »
Thanks eco. Solid advice. I only have today to hack away at this thing, and then the next opportunity i have isn't until late next week. I'm was hoping to figure it out and get it done done today. Might not happen, and I think I can take a breath here and get some things (like clear fuel lines) lined up for next time.
I'll update this thread once I figure it out and fix it with a, hopefully, happy ending.
Thanks again--

Andrew

Reply #12February 26, 2013, 09:37:15 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 09:37:15 pm »
Andrew, unfortunately I have a lottttta posts lol so sifting through them would be challenging.

If the smoke is white and there is clouds of smoke I too am leaning towards air in your system that either needs bled out.. or you have a leak..

Clear fuel return and then both of those lines in to a jug of fresh diesel would be the next step. Tell us what happens from there.