Author Topic: Cam for fuel economy  (Read 8535 times)

Reply #45March 12, 2013, 04:11:59 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Cam for fuel economy
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:59 pm »
As the weather slowly gets better I am thinking of putting in the new cam.

I assume that I will need a new cam cover gasket, cam drive seal, cam timing belt, adjustable roller. Probably some type of extension for my dial gauge to measure fuel timing?

Will have to time the new cam with a bar through the slot on the opposite end.

Test by rolling the motor over by hand twice. Then go.

That's the short-but-sweet version, yup.  You've got all the right bits there.  If your car is running well right now then it would be worthwhile to check your timing before unbolting anything - that way you can both practice the procedure and ensure that you are set to the same "happy" point after the work is done.

Re: dial gauge - in the end you just need something that will hold the dial gauge in place while letting you measure the movement of the piston through the timing hole.  There are a number of adapters built for this purpose available, or you can sort out something with whatever you have in your toolbox.  IE if you have magnetic mounts and things already and your gauge has a long enough plunger you may be able to position it appropriately with the injector lines off.  It is easiest with the proper adapter though.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #46March 12, 2013, 04:16:01 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 04:16:01 pm »
He has come down in price. I stand behind this product, it works very well.

http://www.hansautoparts.com/product-detail.aspx?VWDieselTimingBeltToolsandGauge.htm

Reply #47March 12, 2013, 04:43:56 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 04:43:56 pm »
thanks guys.
I have a nice dial gauge and magnetic mount Never thought about just holding it with the magnetic mount. Might work.

I figure that I want a good quality belt, seal and tensioner. I hate going to dealers. I have bought some parts from the Hans auto parts. They are cheap.

Wouldn't you know it the weather was sunny this morning now we are getting snow again.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #48March 12, 2013, 07:02:30 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »
There are a couple other seals up on that end of the motor it's worth wiping off the crud and looking at, might be under the inner cover depending on your setup.
There's also the huge pain in the rear motor mount on that side if it's a Rabbit that the belt has to come off to access.  Which will fail a month after you do the timing belt. :)
The later rubber VC gasket is a fine upgrade indeed.  If you have a decent hardware store you can get the studs local if you only find the gasket for sale, but it used to come as a
retrofit kit from Elring or one of those guys.

Otherwise you seem to have the jist of it.  Don't strip the allen heads holding the pulleys on, clean em out first before trying to loosen.
And don't over-tighten the T-belt.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #49March 12, 2013, 08:37:15 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 08:37:15 pm »
thanks guys.
I have a nice dial gauge and magnetic mount Never thought about just holding it with the magnetic mount. Might work.

I figure that I want a good quality belt, seal and tensioner. I hate going to dealers. I have bought some parts from the Hans auto parts. They are cheap.

Wouldn't you know it the weather was sunny this morning now we are getting snow again.

Hans diesel parts is known as Prothe, do a search and you will find nothing good. The parts there are junk. I would tell you my opinion but I am biased, so I will just say as a suggestion NEVER USE ANY IMPORTANT ENGINE PARTS FROM HIM. ex. Timing belt and tensioner. Anything that could come apart and ruin the engine do not use from him. Many IDI and TDI diesels are no longer on the road as the owners thought they were getting good parts for cheap, but they just got cheap parts.

Reply #50March 12, 2013, 08:41:33 pm

scrounger

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Big MO
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 08:41:33 pm »
I hear you about cheap parts. I have some lights and door handles from them. The thought of having a chinese timing belt is kind of scarry

Whom would you suggest? Guess I didn't say that very well before.
M2 Jetta TD.  Northern Missouri

Reply #51March 12, 2013, 08:49:54 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 08:49:54 pm »
http://www.autohausaz.com/index.html
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/

I use them for most things. Good stuff. Depends on years of cars but usually between those two sites I have it covered. I think german auto parts . com is good stuff but I haven't ordered anything from them yet.

Reply #52March 12, 2013, 09:59:20 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 09:59:20 pm »
Get a gates timing belt from oreillys. Low price high quality.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.