Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 91 eco not making boost or revs. need help  (Read 9511 times)

February 02, 2013, 08:10:59 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

91 eco not making boost or revs. need help
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:10:59 pm »
Today i decided to take the eco on a trip about 2 hours away. The car drove great all the way to my destination making about 4 psi cruising boost at 3k and 10 when under load and the engine had no issues revving to redline. Shut the car off f at my destination for about 20 minutes. After that time it was time to leave so i got in the car and drove about 15 minutes to the fuel station where i filled up. Left the fuel station and noticed the car would not make boost (2-3 psi at best) and would not rev past 2800 rpm. Found an empty parking lot and observed same results when not in gear. Idled fine pump held prime, no concerning air bubbles in the fuel lines. I drained the water separator in the back of the car and there was a large amount of water in ther ebut the cars behavior did not change for the entire 2 hour drive back( would not reach any speeds higher than 55 mph). Wastegate stuck open? Bad fuel? i cant think of anything please help!!!

Reply #1February 02, 2013, 08:27:29 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: 91 eco not making boost or revs. need help
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »
I'd check the fuel filter.

I'd also remove/bypass the water separator before it strands you. (They get brittle, crack and leak.)

Reply #2February 02, 2013, 08:52:54 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:52:54 pm »
I'd check the fuel filter.

I'd also remove/bypass the water separator before it strands you. (They get brittle, crack and leak.)

what am i checking the fuel filter for? i should note that it has less than 7k on it and is an oem bosch filter. water separator still looks healthy and functions properly, but will keep an eye on it. thanks for the speedy response!

Reply #3February 02, 2013, 09:11:45 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:11:45 pm »
also, i installed a pump that supposedly worked on my car last week only to find that it wasnt making break pressure for the delivery valves, is it possible that any bad fuel/gunk from this pump clogged my fuel filter? i re installed my working eco pump and drove it with no problems for the past week, why would it take until now to affect fuel flow?

Reply #4February 02, 2013, 09:12:34 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:12:34 pm »
I'd check if the filter or lines are plugged by water that got past the separator.

Bottle feeding would be my first test (IP in and out lines to container of fuel)... If the problem persists, the issue is not the supply from the tank or filter.

Reply #5February 02, 2013, 11:14:03 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:03 pm »
............I drained the water separator in the back of the car and there was a large amount of water in ther ebut the cars behavior did not change for the entire 2 hour drive back( would not reach any speeds higher than 55 mph). Wastegate stuck open? Bad fuel? i cant think of anything please help!!!

How much was "large amount of water"? Did you drain the fuel filter? How much water was in there? Water absorbed in the filter will block it and could explain the lack of power (can't go faster than 55 mph). Were you able to go faster than 55 on the first half of the trip?

Water has no lubrication property, promotes rust, causes accelerated wear. I am sure you know that.

Edit:
That water separator is a great thing if working properly, it may have saved you from ingesting more water than you would have by capturing some of it. Obviously your water in fuel light was not working, otherwise you would have pulled over when you got the warning.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:18:45 pm by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #6February 03, 2013, 11:04:19 am

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:04:19 am »
water in fuel light?, and by a large amount i would say is probably about half a quart. its the most I've ever drained out of it. I'm going to pull some straight out of the tank today to see what kind of content is in there. The station i went to had a separate pumping station for the larger trucks and i saw those get heavy use while i was there. perhaps the smaller pumps see less use and have an opportunity to collect more water? And yes i was able to achieve at least 80 easily on the first half of the trip, Maintained 43 mpg even!

Reply #7February 03, 2013, 11:21:54 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:21:54 am »
water in fuel light?, and by a large amount i would say is probably about half a quart. its the most I've ever drained out of it. I'm going to pull some straight out of the tank today to see what kind of content is in there. The station i went to had a separate pumping station for the larger trucks and i saw those get heavy use while i was there. perhaps the smaller pumps see less use and have an opportunity to collect more water? And yes i was able to achieve at least 80 easily on the first half of the trip, Maintained 43 mpg even!

Sorry, water in fuel light warning is the glow plug LED blinking. Bentley describes it's operation. 1/2 quart water in the separator is a dangerous amount, invariably some of that water made it to your fuel filter/IP/injectors. I'd change the filter and run it from a bottle of fuel, go for a drive and see if it restores normal operation and hope for the best.

If I can find a NOS water separator I'd install one and have a level of warning/ protection for water in fuel. My old one was leaking and was removed long ago.

Reply #8February 03, 2013, 11:37:10 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:37:10 am »
......................I'm going to pull some straight out of the tank today to see what kind of content is in there. .............

I'd pump out the tank via the hose at the filter inlet, then drain the separator, then take the fuel sender out and with an absorbent cloth, mop out the water little by little.

Before filling and priming the system, I'd test the water in fuel LED by half filling the water separator with water and see if it blinks.

Keep the fuel you drained out, and the fuel receipt, a copy of this post, send it registered mail to the fuel station and ask for compensation for damages.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:46:37 am by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #9February 03, 2013, 01:56:38 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 01:56:38 pm »
Also it might be helpful to know if you have the stock filter. It has the extra fitting for the plastic tee to recirculate fuel.

(I replace those filters with the earlier versions.)

Reply #10February 03, 2013, 02:02:25 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 02:02:25 pm »
I would test the fuel from the tank for water as well.  Take about a cup of water.  Measure it precisely somehow.  Mil liters are better.  Put that in a larger jar and then pour about three times that amount of fuel in it.  Put a line on the jar where the water mark is.  Let it set with a cover on it for the night.  Next day look at the line, more water means you had water in the fuel.  Try to measure the water out again and you may be able to have compensation. 

Did the delivery truck just leave out?  They tend to mix the big tank so if I ever see one at the station I generally go elsewhere and hope he hasn't been there first.

Reply #11February 03, 2013, 03:53:11 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 03:53:11 pm »
went to drain the water separator today and nothing came out, might be frozen. But i did run the car out of a can of diesel purge and this time the car would not rev above 2500 and the boost gauge did not move. i know that when under no load i wont build near full boost but i can usually make about 2 psi. the fuel i pulled from the lines looked ok, i will test some straight from the tank. If the fuel isnt causing this then what else could it be? Could something have gone wrong with the governor in the pump?

Reply #12February 03, 2013, 04:03:21 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 04:03:21 pm »
Did you replace the fuel filter? A water laden frozen filter is a major restriction. If your car was left in below 32F ambient overnight the water in the tank and in the separator is frozen. Water is heavier than diesel and will not be mixed with the fuel but settle out and sit at the bottom of the tank- frozen if below freezing. Y

Reply #13February 03, 2013, 05:04:35 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 05:04:35 pm »
parts store didnt have a filter, but wouldnt running it out of a can of known good fuel rule out the filter?

I took a comparison photo fuel from the tank is on the right, and known good fuel ont he left. you cant really see it but there is a light green tint to the left bottle. much darker from the tank.

Reply #14February 03, 2013, 05:36:34 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 05:36:34 pm »
... wouldnt running it out of a can of known good fuel rule out the filter? [/img]
Yeah, pretty much.  I'd still give the tank a heavy dose of PS-911.

I'd pull the air intake ducting off and make sure there isn't a hunk of the air filter or other foreign object blocking them or the turbo intake. I'd also run the engine and see if the turbo is spinning up.

It could still be the IP, but I like to rule out the easy-to-see stuff first.

S-PAutomotive.com