S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Glow plug help please  (Read 8049 times)

Reply #15January 13, 2013, 05:04:27 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Glow plug help please
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 05:04:27 pm »
They can be re-formed and re-used... I do it. I also have a dozen or more new, if I'm in a hurry.

Reply #16January 13, 2013, 08:26:32 pm

london96td

• User+

Re: Re: Re: Glow plug help please
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 08:26:32 pm »

Definitely remove the lines as a set.  But after getting the flares to mate with the body of the injector I would only get them on finger tight then back them off a half a turn.  Tyler made it sound like you should tighten them but He knows different.  You are going to need them loose to be able to determine when fuel gets up to the injectors.  Go ahead a put the tight on the line nuts at the head of the IP.  Once you fill the lines, noted by a bit of fuel spurting up from one or two, tighten all and hit the glows and crank.  The initial filling of the lines might take a couple of 15 second crankings.  Try once, check, let started cool for a minute and crank again 15 seconds.  Check for fuel, or have a helper with a big voice tell you to "Shut it off!, Shut it off!"  Cloth handy to dab fuel from nuts at injector.  Why be a messy mechanic.  That is for TheMan and CRSMP45.   

Thank you for clearing the injector question up. So no removal is required, just the lines. I'm still not sure what you mean by not tightening up the lines after reinstalling. Can you please clarify that one part?

Reply #17January 13, 2013, 08:35:05 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 08:35:05 pm »
Some folks like to leave the injector ends of the hardlines loose to help prime the lines.

When first cranking after the lines are off, the IP takes a few revs to push fuel through. Each pulse of fuel is about a drop, so it can take 15-30 sec to get the four lines full.

As noted, I just put em on and crank.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:42:58 pm by TylerDurden »

Reply #18January 13, 2013, 11:05:14 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 11:05:14 pm »
Like Tyler says.  He just tightens them on both ends and cranks 15-30 seconds.  That is all it should take if your battery is anywhere near healthy.  I like to leave them slightly loose to verify that fuel is getting to them before I "really try to start the car".

Note 2 cycles as describe by me is same as Tyler's time.  I just rest the starter between 15 second cranks.  Not sure if it is totally necessary, just the way I do it.  Prevention for starter heat?  Maybe. 

As for heat shield reforming and reuse.  I can't even count the number of times I have done a set and had no problems.  If I think there is an issue with the overall condition of the ones I take off I pitch em and grab one of the many extras I have.  All formed and ready to go. 

I actually have a pair of needle nosed pliers with a spring in the handle so they sort of start the open and grab process for me.  I just keep them that way with a little help so I don't drop them to the nether world. 

I don't think I have ever used brake clean on the threads or the nuts.  It may have cost me an injector once as I did have a wicked sound going on start up so I sourced the injector and took it apart and cleaned it again.  Never heard that noise again.  But I don't know what the spray pattern was after that.  I also don't do anti seize on the nuts.  The bodies of the injector yes but not the nuts.  I don't want anything down that hole except diesel.  Maybe I am just fat fingered and get that goop everywhere even when I just use as dab of it.   

Reply #19January 13, 2013, 11:50:54 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »
i was saying anti-seize on glow plug bodies

Reply #20January 14, 2013, 12:45:58 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:58 am »
Sorry, misunderstood that.  Yes, I do anti-seize on them as well as the injector bodies.  It just gets a bunch of heat on them and boy to they get tight.  Thanks for the clarification. 

Reply #21January 14, 2013, 01:53:15 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 01:53:15 am »
the brake clean is for injector lines, ip and injector connections. at assembly time. and you dont want anything around the nuts
make sure area around these connections are clean before disassembling
and clean paper towels for injector lines to sit on while disassembled
also yes starter builds up alot of heat after 30 secs, so it needs a cool down. it will live a lot longer

Reply #22January 14, 2013, 01:59:43 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:43 am »
I find myself usually doing shenanigans when it is -20C out.. and usually snow on the ground. A recent cranking forever fiasco had me packing snow around my starter to keep it cool while I cranked it forever and ever. Worked damn good too, got any snow?!

Reply #23January 14, 2013, 01:23:08 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 01:23:08 pm »
From what I gather from what you write if you aren't out in the -20C then you are never leaving the house.  Cabin fever!

Reply #24January 14, 2013, 01:25:02 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 01:25:02 pm »
I wish, not the case. I am a Marine Tech, so I am outside all day every day, from early March until early December. Most of which.. it is hotter than Satan's balls out.

Reply #25January 14, 2013, 02:20:07 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 02:20:07 pm »
heat shields can be used again are you sure?? know for a 1.6 they are 1 time use, dont forget to use brake clean when reassembling hard lines, and have clean paper towels for lines to sit on while out of car, dont forget anti-seize on gp threads

Yes, they can. It has been documented, one member has used a set up to 8 times.

I THINK he used them more than 8 times.. i swear he has used one set OVER 10 times... could be wrong.. someone ran him off the forum because of his questionable honing techniques :(
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #26January 14, 2013, 05:21:05 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 05:21:05 pm »
It's a tough gang here that's for sure.
 :(

I THINK he used them more than 8 times.. i swear he has used one set OVER 10 times... could be wrong.. someone ran him off the forum because of his questionable honing techniques :(

Reply #27January 14, 2013, 05:59:43 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 05:59:43 pm »
heat shields can be used again are you sure?? know for a 1.6 they are 1 time use, dont forget to use brake clean when reassembling hard lines, and have clean paper towels for lines to sit on while out of car, dont forget anti-seize on gp threads

Yes, they can. It has been documented, one member has used a set up to 8 times.

I didn't, nor did I see anyone else, run him off for his honing tech. What I did do was give him a week ban after I warned him to stop taking shots at libbydiesel for no reason other than to get a raise out of people. After the week he never came back nor was he missed as far as I know.

He is still on the hillbilly forum I think. I haven't been there in forever, but he should have pics of his pliers and the ball bearing he used to re shape them. For something that is usually only ever taken out every 60,000 miles I would spend the 1.00 or 2.00 or so each and buy them. I think of that area of the head as more fragile now that I dropped a precup and wouldn't want a non sealing heat shield to give me another bad day.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:30:19 pm by theman53 »

Reply #28January 14, 2013, 06:21:05 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:05 pm »
Mark uses a pair of vice-grips, since they retain the crush amount with each repeated use. I use a motorcycle chain press.

In both cases a ball bearing is used as the driver, since it self-centers and contacts the conical surface evenly.

Reply #29January 14, 2013, 10:00:29 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »
I didn't think we were that tough a bunch.  Just a bunch that doesn't appreciate a dis when it isn't needed to make a point.  Make your point and be respectful.  Like you are explaining it to your grandmother.  I doubt many use the F word when doing that. 

S-PAutomotive.com