S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: '81 Rabbit  (Read 3547 times)

December 30, 2012, 04:47:38 pm

tyb525

• Junior

'81 Rabbit
« on: December 30, 2012, 04:47:38 pm »
First time VW owner here, this is my rabbit. 1.6 N/A 11mm w/ studs. The first and hopefully not the last ;D

Engine first opened up before rebuild, could not believe how clean it was, someone had done a HG recently, but rings were definitely shot.

Just taken today:

2004 Golf BEW, '81 1.6 NA rabbit (soon to be parted out)

Reply #1December 30, 2012, 10:10:29 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: '81 Rabbit
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 10:10:29 pm »
Hey that looks like MY engine! 

Nice tubes! 

Pics of the rings and pistons by any chance?  I would like to see what I might be doing with mine in the coming month.  Testing today on compression and all signs are pointing at new rings to fix blow by and oil consumption troubles.

Reply #2December 30, 2012, 10:26:01 pm

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:26:01 pm »
I'll see if I can find some more pics.

I could not get the car to stop blowing white/blue smoke regardless of how I timed it, and it literally took minutes of cranking and crossing my fingers to get it started. I even took the belt off and re-timed it per the Bentley to be sure. I didn't check compression. I guess just to get a fresh start and know what I was working with, I decide to do an in-car rebuild.

Surprisingly, the bores mic'd out well in-spec with the Bentley at top, middle, and bottom so I just got standard size rings and deglazed the cyclinders. The pistons also measured within spec so they were ok.

New rings, bearings, and everything that goes with that. This is an 11mm block so put ARP head studs in it. Also new fast-glow plugs and relay, rebuilt injectors, new waterpump, new injector steel lines, rebuilt vaccum pump, new bearings all around, new tie rod ends up front, new parking break cables. And I put a re-usable rubber valve cover gasket on it. I didn't do anything to the head because the P.O. said whoever did the HG also did other work on the head ??? But the valve clearances were good and it wasn't cracked or warped so I went with it. I was trying to be a frugal as possible...

It is now running great. It's been over 3000 miles and I've been driving 40 miles or so it every day. It starts right up with the glow plugs on the 1st or 2nd rev of the engine, coldest so far was 25F outside. After it warms up it starts as soon as I hit the key. Seems to have good power for an NA, I can keep up with traffic just fine on the highway. No black smoke except when I'm really getting on it.

Oh, and the return line is 1/8" I.D., 1/4" O.D. "Fuel and Lubricant Yellow Tygon PVC Tubing" from mcmaster-carr. I think the supply line is 3/8" I.D., same stuff.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:30:40 pm by tyb525 »

Reply #3December 30, 2012, 11:44:44 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:44:44 pm »
How many miles/Kms on this baby?  Mine just rolled over 136K miles and the #3 cylinder is the one giving me fits.  Others still give over 450 psi when tested.  Not sure if I will do just the one cylinder or all just to prevent the weakest link problem from nipping my butt in a few months.  Car still runs well and gets MPG but the blue trail is telling me fix it soon or pay the man later.  Bigger bucks too.

Reply #4December 31, 2012, 12:08:08 am

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:08:08 am »
Well odo says 207K miles, but the title says exempt, so that might mean the cluster was changed out. And the engine bay has been painted recently, along with the head, pump, and tranny, so that also makes me think someone has done something (pulled/replaced engine, etc.)

So I can't answer your question as to how many miles are on it.

If you're gonna do one cylinder, you might as well do all of them. It really doesn't take much longer to do the other 3 while you're at it. The majority of the time will be spent doing everything else you'll have to do for just 1 cylinder. I think it would be silly to do just one cylinder.

Oh and I was able to get the head out/into the car without pulling the manifolds, it's a little tough but it was doable on my rabbit. Getting it back in was tougher, but I was able to do it by myself without a hoist or anything. 2 people or a hoist would make it easier. That way I didn't have to get new gaskets for those, and a few of the old allen bolt heads are stripped so I didn't want to mess with getting those out at the time.

Reply #5December 31, 2012, 08:57:50 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:57:50 am »
that car looks to really be in nice shape, i hope u enjoy it i love mk1s, i even had one that looked just like yours.  ive also pulled the head with manifolds attached, turbo and na.  i get help when i put the na heads back on.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #6December 31, 2012, 12:33:25 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:33:25 pm »
Must be nice to have extra hands and backs for heavy lifting.  I lost my helpers when they went to school, got jobs, and decided to have lives away from home.  They still do this kind of work so I must have inspired them in some regard.  Probably the economics side of the equation not the mechanical part. 

I have to part out the head and manifolds in order to manage them myself.  Time for a garage and a lift perhaps?   Nah.

Reply #7December 31, 2012, 03:59:20 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:59:20 pm »
Must be nice to have extra hands and backs for heavy lifting.  I lost my helpers when they went to school, got jobs, and decided to have lives away from home.  They still do this kind of work so I must have inspired them in some regard.  Probably the economics side of the equation not the mechanical part. 

I have to part out the head and manifolds in order to manage them myself.  Time for a garage and a lift perhaps?   Nah.

i lived with my parents when i needed more major work like that, and i used to rent a garage with my brother, now he owns a garage at his house where i do work so he was usually around to help for moments like that, my dad often helps me with stuff too, 2 heads are better than one.  and when i work at home in my car port when it is warmer outside my gf is usually willing to get her hands dirty, anything so i get down soon and go inside with her i guess haha.
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #8December 31, 2012, 05:06:28 pm

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 05:06:28 pm »
Haha my girlfriend is like that too, whatever it takes to get my attention back on her faster lol. Even if it means her helping.

Oh, has anyone else seen a GM alt swap? That's what is on the car now, somebody obviously fab'd a different bracket to mount it on there...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:22:37 pm by tyb525 »

Reply #9December 31, 2012, 07:40:25 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 07:40:25 pm »
Haha my girlfriend is like that too, whatever it takes to get my attention back on her faster lol. Even if it means her helping.

Oh, has anyone else seen a GM alt swap? That's what is on the car now, somebody obviously fab'd a different bracket to mount it on there...

Got pics?  Vulcan werks sells a kit like that,  sounds nice probably better and cheaper I'd imagine

Reply #10December 31, 2012, 09:51:41 pm

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »
Looks like they took the old bracket that had the long slot for the adjustment, cut it and re-welded it at a 90 deg angle at a certain point. Still has the vw logo on it, it would be hard to get a picture, but I'll try if I get the chance.