Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: My first gasser. And my other junk  (Read 14881 times)

Reply #60March 12, 2013, 12:34:36 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: My first gasser. And my other junk
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2013, 12:34:36 pm »
You bought a 15 year old car ;) All the things listed needed replaced probably 2 or more years ago haha.

I really wish you bought this in August.. I scrapped a 2.0 in August. Coulda gave you it all for fweeeeee

Reply #61March 12, 2013, 12:56:26 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2013, 12:56:26 pm »
yeah i know, its not a new car haha, most of that stuff is cheap and easy to replace tho so no big heartbreak on my part.  i think the most expensive part i gotta do is the brakes so i am fortunate over all.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #62March 25, 2013, 10:05:48 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:48 am »
not that it is particularly exciting but this weekend i redid my rear brakes on the trek.  i was hoping for a simple new bearing, new rotors, new pad, and lube the slider deal.  but i ended up replacing everything because one of the sliders snapped off so i figured may as well replace both calipers since who knows what condition they are really in at almost 190k.  the napa eclipse stuff is great, i got the semi loaded calipers and they come all painted and beautified

both sides had stuck sliders so the inner pads were much more worn than the outter, especially this side haha!

and i ended up with a nice looking setup here, most of napas newer rotors come coated with some kind of black *** but they didn't have them for the rear of my jetta.  when i do the front brakes i'll get the painted rotors, but probably keep the old calipers, the front ones never seem to be as much of a hassle. i forgot to stick some bleeder valve caps on them, i have a box of new ones at home.  always put the caps on people!!!  they will save you from snapped off bleeders and they only cost a few bucks for a box of around 20 at napa.  there is no excuse for that kind of negligence.

81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #63March 25, 2013, 03:32:05 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2013, 03:32:05 pm »
I am not sure I would call that a slider.  More like a spark generator.  So, do you notice better stopping power now?  Metal on metal,  Well maybe a slider after all.

Reply #64March 25, 2013, 03:45:51 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2013, 03:45:51 pm »
I am not sure I would call that a slider.  More like a spark generator.  So, do you notice better stopping power now?  Metal on metal,  Well maybe a slider after all.

yeah the pic is of a pad, the sliders that the caliper rides on were stuck, so the caliper couldn't move so it could only apply pressure to the inside pad.  stopping is a little better nothing amazing i guess because it's just the rear, i don't think the pads are quite seated to the new rotors yet either since i haven't driven much.  the metal on metal was just very loud and really chewed up the old rotor.  stopping is much smoother now tho and also the brakes had been sticking in the back some, so i expect a bit better mpg's  fingers crossed

Reply #65March 25, 2013, 10:44:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2013, 10:44:55 pm »
Everybody loves a success story.  Better ride, less noise, safer and better mileage.  Did you say they look better as well.  That leaves nothing to improve upon then.

Reply #66March 26, 2013, 10:54:45 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 10:54:45 pm »
dafuq did that pass a safety inspection??

Also, why was the car not properly checked before you started tooling around in it. Scary man, scary.

Reply #67March 27, 2013, 07:42:03 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2013, 07:42:03 am »
dafuq did that pass a safety inspection??

Also, why was the car not properly checked before you started tooling around in it. Scary man, scary.

i live life on the edge. haha.  it stopped just fine till i got down to the metal on that pad which is what got me doing the work.  i am curious myself how that passed inspection but they only check opposite corners, so they may have pulled the other side and said the pads are fine, but honestly it seemed like the calipers hadn't been off in a very long time, along with the broken exhaust it had when i bought it.  honestly now that i've had it a few months and seen the trouble its caused me, i have some regret on buying it.  but over all it is what i wanted, a mk3 with a mostly clean body, and nice interior, plus it had a new set of tires and new clutch.  trans shifts good and doesn't pop out of reverse.

and we're picking up my old lady a new car tonight, an 03 jetta 1.8t 5 speed.  needs a timing belt but other wise seems to be very nice.  so now she can finally get rid of her clapped out cabriolet.

Reply #68March 27, 2013, 01:44:21 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2013, 01:44:21 pm »
What year cabby? :) The 1.8T will be hella-dope from the thrift-shop. Yo.

Opposite corners? That is really bare minimum eh lol.

Eh, its a used car.. its easier to replace parts then make it look good in my opinion.. lol

Reply #69March 27, 2013, 03:46:24 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2013, 03:46:24 pm »
What year cabby? :) The 1.8T will be hella-dope from the thrift-shop. Yo.

Opposite corners? That is really bare minimum eh lol.

Eh, its a used car.. its easier to replace parts then make it look good in my opinion.. lol

That's the law in pa I'm gonna look which ones they did, both sides had stuck sliders.  But yes easier to replace parts is right.  Her cabby is a 90 nugget yellow automatic

Reply #70March 28, 2013, 07:59:56 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2013, 07:59:56 pm »
They checked every corner,  they only check pad thickness as far as I know. But still I only drove it since December that rear pad shouldn't have been worn to metal in 3 months

Reply #71March 29, 2013, 12:00:09 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2013, 12:00:09 am »
There are not any inspections what-so-ever in Northern AZ with the exceptions of titling a previously out-of-state vehicle or getting a bonded title on an abandoned vehicle.  There are no safety inspections or emissions testing.  Registration renewals can be done on the web and tags arrive in the mail. 

Reply #72March 29, 2013, 01:42:25 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2013, 01:42:25 am »
Natural selection?

Reply #73March 29, 2013, 03:34:49 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2013, 03:34:49 pm »
There really isn't any greater preponderance of basket-case vehicles here than there is in other places where I've lived or visited that have stringent inspection procedures.

Reply #74March 31, 2013, 10:07:29 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2013, 10:07:29 am »
There really isn't any greater preponderance of basket-case vehicles here than there is in other places where I've lived or visited that have stringent inspection procedures.

I bet that's very true since most people do not work on their own cars.  And basket case cars don't last long anyway haha

S-PAutomotive.com