Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: My first gasser. And my other junk  (Read 14877 times)

Reply #15December 24, 2012, 08:35:42 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: My first gasser. And my other junk
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 08:35:42 am »
looks like whatever rims are on your jetta is what you need to trade me :D

the ats classics?  haha no way u don't see that size and offset that ofter, they're 13x6 et13 and the spokes go almost the whole way to the rim ridge unlike alot of the newer classics, they look cooler in person.  they're on 175.50.13s i now wish ihad bought 205/60/13s with with side wall lettering, the 175/50's are getting near impossible to find now so i might be able to sell them and make money and get the bigger tires.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #16December 24, 2012, 09:16:51 am

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 09:16:51 am »
damn, i'm not usually one for mkI's but that jetta looks awesome.

Reply #17December 24, 2012, 01:26:37 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 01:26:37 pm »
I've been looking for a mk3 to daily for a while now,  most are very rusty or beat to hell.  I really wanted a golf but I found this 97 jetta trek edition.  Has nice bolstered seats.  I just bought it yesterday, that same night the exhaust blew out and the car became incredibly loud, I noticed the fog lights, ac, and sun roof didn't work.  I pulled the switch down from the sun roof and saw the it wasn't plugged in but the plug was incompatible With the switch, turns out the whole motors missing haha.  Still a rust free mk3. That runs good and drives nice. Maybe a diesel one day.

LMFAO......

my significant other, drives the EXACT same car.. its a white 97 Jetta Trek.. immaculate inside and outside..

how much did you score it for? Jessi's was 2 grand, with zero issues..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #18December 24, 2012, 07:51:59 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 07:51:59 pm »
Haha I paid 3100(tax tag and title) with a handful of issues nothing really bad tho.  It sat on the lot since the spring I was hoping my gf would want it but eventually I just got it for myself since its relatively rust free which is really rare around here especially on mk3s. The engine runs really well with no funny noises and the trans shifts great so all and all its a really nice mk3 I'm really happy with it.  I've only driven mk1s since I was 16 so I earned my old car driver merrit badge it feels good to be in a mk3
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #19December 25, 2012, 02:22:31 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 02:22:31 pm »
Haha I paid 3100(tax tag and title) with a handful of issues nothing really bad tho.  It sat on the lot since the spring I was hoping my gf would want it but eventually I just got it for myself since its relatively rust free which is really rare around here especially on mk3s. The engine runs really well with no funny noises and the trans shifts great so all and all its a really nice mk3 I'm really happy with it.  I've only driven mk1s since I was 16 so I earned my old car driver merrit badge it feels good to be in a mk3

ever piloted a mk2?

you need one of those next..

they are pure amazing on wheels.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #20December 25, 2012, 06:16:42 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 06:16:42 pm »

ever piloted a mk2?

you need one of those next..

they are pure amazing on wheels.

yes, my dad has an 85 jetta td all stock just well maintained, he hasn't touched the pump or turbo even.  my sister in law has an 86 gti with obd1 aba swap and some nicer struts and springs, very fun car!  and if u want to count a corrado my brother has a 93 slc with ported big valve head, vortec v9 supercharger, and 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust no cat and just want muffler.  all awesome cars in their own right.  i love mk1s but if i was going for all out performance the mk2 is no doubt the best platform.  its compatible with most everything sturdy and light.

Reply #21December 26, 2012, 08:10:47 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
Fixed the vacuum pump on my rabbit and took it for a drive last night, I thought after driving the mk3 with double the power and a quieter interior and more gentle ride that the rabbit would feel inadequate, but it was really just the opposite, there is a real charm to driving the little rabbit.  Not to mention despite its larger tank the fuel gauge moves too fast on the mk3.  I'll have to do a tune up and see what kind of mileage I can get from the aba.  Plan is a maf and tb cleaning, new pcv filter change, plug wires cap and rotor, check impedance on the coil, and a can of sea foam then see if I need to start checking sensors

Reply #22December 26, 2012, 09:20:51 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 09:20:51 pm »
Your rabbit is my preference of the three.  Yours looks very sharp.  About a year ago I picked up a '79 4-door after not having a rabbit for about 20 years and I love it.  1/2 the weight of a mk3 makes a BIG difference in the power to weight ratio.  I installed a VNT 15 on it and it goes very well.  I also recently picked up a 2002 ALH jetta wagon and I think the rabbit with moderate boost has better power to weight.

Reply #23December 26, 2012, 10:17:18 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »
Your rabbit is my preference of the three.  Yours looks very sharp.  About a year ago I picked up a '79 4-door after not having a rabbit for about 20 years and I love it.  1/2 the weight of a mk3 makes a BIG difference in the power to weight ratio.  I installed a VNT 15 on it and it goes very well.  I also recently picked up a 2002 ALH jetta wagon and I think the rabbit with moderate boost has better power to weight.

my rabbit has completely stock engine down to the pin prick exhaust, but it has bilstein sport shocks/struts with h&r springs and jom front spring caps that are supposed to bring it down an extra 1" or so, i used them because it has cabby springs which are supposedly a bit strong.  the rabbit is alot more solid and fun in the turns, quite lazy for anything else haha.  I'm very envious of your jetta wagon, i love the mk4 wagons

Reply #24December 26, 2012, 10:52:52 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 10:52:52 pm »
Thought anyone who is not on Facebook could appreciate this, drove home today in a wintery storm then couldn't keep my car in the drive way!!! Haha

Reply #25January 07, 2013, 08:03:10 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 08:03:10 am »
So far since i have owned this, 2 weeks now?  I have had the exhaust repaired, done a full tune up maf and tb cleaning, new air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and also a new thermostat and upper rad hose, hopefully my mileage will start to improve as i only got around 20mpg on the last fill up.  Some people might be upset at their car by this point but i know its still a solid car just has some minor problems to solve.  Still need to seafoam the engine, change oil, and test the coil.  depending on what kind of mileage i get from the next tank i'm going to stick new o2 sensors in. i also plan to port the tb but that is just in the back of my head when i have some free time.  i thought the tune up would resolve this but it still has a bit of a stumble to the idle, like a slight miss here and there, nothing to really complain about i just know it should be a bit smoother.

Reply #26January 07, 2013, 11:24:09 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 11:24:09 am »
Forget about fuel injection, Slap a carb on it ;D

Reply #27January 07, 2013, 09:49:45 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 09:49:45 pm »

if this were a cis car with multiple issues i certainly would, ive heard nothing but good things about the kit bfi sells.  this cars starting to shape up, i got the radiator fan working today, turned out the problem was that some doofus put a 10amp fuse in where a 30 amp goes. the ac shares the same fuse, so i got excited thinking that would work now too but it didn't, i have a few cans in my basement tho i can try out come spring time.  still has a rough idle tho, hopefully i can get that worked out, and well see what kind of mileage i get since the tuneup.

Reply #28January 23, 2013, 08:37:25 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 08:37:25 pm »

if this were a cis car with multiple issues i certainly would, ive heard nothing but good things about the kit bfi sells.  this cars starting to shape up, i got the radiator fan working today, turned out the problem was that some doofus put a 10amp fuse in where a 30 amp goes. the ac shares the same fuse, so i got excited thinking that would work now too but it didn't, i have a few cans in my basement tho i can try out come spring time.  still has a rough idle tho, hopefully i can get that worked out, and well see what kind of mileage i get since the tuneup.

sorry, but i gotta play devils advocate on this one..

CIS is an AMAZING fuel system.. bloody tough as hell, provided you keep clean fuel and clean air/fuel filters in it, and keep the water out of your fuel system.

CIS is pretty bulletproof, as long as its in good working order, and maintained.. the most reliable car i have ever owned, has a CIS-Lambda fuel system.

have you replaced the injector o-rings yet? basically every single CIS car ive owned, has needed o-rings.. have you checked the high idle valve? is the mixture adjustment plug still in the fuel distributor?

i vote that you fix the CIS, rather than go carb'd..

CIS is a timeless marvel..

Reply #29January 23, 2013, 08:43:34 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 08:43:34 pm »
Lmao. What is with Americans and "slap a carb on it" ;)

Do you really think everyone moved away from carburetors because they were so damn awesome?

Fixmyvw.com