S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Cold start issues w/ 91 ECO  (Read 4177 times)

February 26, 2006, 12:06:56 am

toganet

Cold start issues w/ 91 ECO
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:06:56 am »
Lately my 1991 ECO has decided it does not like to start on its own, unless I plug in the block warmer -- in which case it starts up on the first crank. This leads me to believe that I have issues with my glow plugs, so I've done the following troubleshooting so far:

* Check fusible link -- OK.
    * Check relay -- present, and appears to work (clicks when I turn the key)
    * Check for current at the first glow plug -- NOTHING.

Once I saw no power there, I checked at the fuse, and got nothing. I imagine that this indicates the relay is bad, despite its clicking, and that power is not making it as far as the fusible link. I could replace the relay, but its a $50 part, so before I make the switch, I am wondering if there is anything else that might be up.

Any help is appreciated.

PS: I also drained the water seperator -- but I am wondering when to stop! I get the feeling my entire tank would drain out!

Reply #1February 26, 2006, 06:48:39 am

rubberducky

• User+

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 06:48:39 am »
don't know if it'll be much help, but i've had cold starting issues as well, although in my case, it was the fusible link.  however i've been provided with great resources in my quest to troubleshoot.  I think it'll be easier to just check out the thread i've started, "engine not heating"

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3215

people have provided information and links about checking the relay, and general troubleshooting for glow plug related problems.

hope this helps,

Reply #2February 27, 2006, 03:23:03 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

Re: Cold start issues w/ 91 ECO
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 03:23:03 pm »
Quote from: "toganet"

PS: I also drained the water seperator -- but I am wondering when to stop! I get the feeling my entire tank would drain out!

You're supposed to stop when fuel starts coming out instead of water.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #3February 28, 2006, 09:19:52 am

toganet

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 09:19:52 am »
I read through the thread rubberducky referenced, and I think I may want to change to a lighter-weight oil.  the ECO was due for an oil change in December, but never got one due to holidays and then the starting problem has prevented me driving it much.

I also will try draining the water separator some more -- I must have a serious amount of water in there, because I drained about a pint before closing the valve, and it all looked like diesel to me.  But upon inspecting it this morning, it had frozen solid -- something water tends to do a lot more readily than diesel...

Reply #4February 28, 2006, 05:12:17 pm

rubberducky

• User+

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 05:12:17 pm »
btw, with the 0w-40 i threw in i can easily start in single digit *F weather, even after having the car sit for over 24 hrs...  even with the 575 CCA wally-world battery that's in it.  but then, i did have a combination of problems with my car.

Reply #5March 28, 2006, 12:11:25 pm

toganet

Update
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 12:11:25 pm »
Ok, still no start from cold on my Jetta.  I've changed the oil to 5W40 Rotella T, and changed the filter, too.  That appeared to make no difference.  I am beginning to think the relay is the likely cause, unless the plugs are shot, which I can't test without either a good relay, or jumping the connection from the battery.  (I don't really want to do that, as I picture my own painful demise following closely).

My plan is to buy a new relay, and if that doesn't work, pull the plugs and take a look.  I wish I had more time to spend working on this car -- I feel like I am neglecting it -- not being a good owner.

Reply #6March 28, 2006, 01:20:10 pm

jantd

• User+

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 01:20:10 pm »
I would first try to bridge the relay, or just place a cupper wire of same diameter (large electric current) directly on the glowplugs, if it starts then you know for sure it's the relay. I wudnt buy it new I'm sure you pay very little for a used one.Mine went 320.000 km and I never had to change it yet...
To check if you have gas or water in your pint: just throw in a bit of water,and see if it makes a bubble or not.If not then it's simply all water and to be sure put some gas in it, it should appear on top as a layer.
Good luck!
Jan
Golf III, 1.9 TD (AAZ),322,000 km

S-PAutomotive.com