Author Topic: 1.6D Bare Block and Head- Free to a good home  (Read 5308 times)

October 24, 2012, 12:44:34 am

Rising

• Veteran

1.6D Bare Block and Head- Free to a good home
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:44:34 am »
I finished swapping in my new block and I don't have any place to store this one. It seems like a shame to scrap it. Does anyone want this to have around? It had low compression when pulled but ran after being pull started. I assumed either a blown headgasket or cracked head since it was pressurizing the coolant system pretty bad. You can read all about it over on my thread about the dead rabbit.

Anyway if no one wants this in a couple weeks I'll throw it to the vortex and see if anyone wants it. If not it is going to have to go to scrap:-[

Edit: seems like just a blown gasket. Head is straight and has no cracks between the valves.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #1October 24, 2012, 08:35:57 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: 1.6D Bare Block and Head- Free to a good home
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:35:57 am »
I am interested. I will let you know what the wife thinks. If I don't I have a friend who may.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:43:03 am by theman53 »

Reply #2October 24, 2012, 11:08:54 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:54 am »
have crazyandy get it... he in your local... good guy.. he needs a little "bone" for all the crap that happens to him..

Reply #3October 24, 2012, 10:53:18 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:53:18 pm »
I am out, friend is too

Reply #4October 26, 2012, 01:03:08 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:03:08 am »
Is this an 11 or 12 mm block?  I am in need of a head now for the bottom end I picked up last weekend from biillbobf in Florence.  Could negotiate shipping I guess. 

Reply #5October 26, 2012, 02:46:19 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: 1.6D Bare Block and Head- Free to a good home
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:46:19 pm »
Sure I'll send crazyandy a pm. I'd like to help someone out with this. Seems stupid to let it go to waste. And I've been blessed a lot lately with this whole situation.

ORCoaster: I believe it is a 12mm block. Its out of an 84 n/a if that helps.

Here is the thread i made about this engine in case anyone missed it http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=31906.0

As far as the head being useable I'd say it is possible but there is a good chance it is warped too. The head gasket wasn't leaking externally but the coolant system was being presurrized pretty badly and the engine had severly low compression. So you decide if you want to spend money to ship it :-\

Reply #6October 27, 2012, 11:32:23 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 11:32:23 am »
I have all the internals for a head just have this big honking crack under the #1 injector boss and the piece is just barely hanging on there.  So I will ask you to flip it over and put a straight edge on that dude and see if it has gaps under it.  I think the Bentley states 4 thou of an inch as acceptable.  If it comes close then would you be willing to at least remove the Cam and cam pulley to reduce the weight somewhat?  Shipping would be from where?  Your Zip Code plz. 

I can weigh up a similar setup here and figure the shipping.  Thanks for working with me on this.  I like to use parts and keep them running so I am willing to bring this part to the West Coast  if I could.  DAS'

Reply #7October 27, 2012, 04:54:31 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:54:31 pm »
I have all the internals for a head just have this big honking crack under the #1 injector boss and the piece is just barely hanging on there.  So I will ask you to flip it over and put a straight edge on that dude and see if it has gaps under it.  I think the Bentley states 4 thou of an inch as acceptable.  If it comes close then would you be willing to at least remove the Cam and cam pulley to reduce the weight somewhat?  Shipping would be from where?  Your Zip Code plz. 

I can weigh up a similar setup here and figure the shipping.  Thanks for working with me on this.  I like to use parts and keep them running so I am willing to bring this part to the West Coast  if I could.  DAS'

cost $35 to ship a AAZ head from SO CAL to PNW oregon...
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #8October 27, 2012, 10:46:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:43 pm »
My hope is for something like that but he is Waaaayyyy over there with this one.  Was that stripped or loaded with the camshaft ROR?

Reply #9October 28, 2012, 02:06:44 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 02:06:44 am »
Make sure to send it FEDEX. On heavier stuff it will go much cheaper to anywhere...domestic that is.

Reply #10October 28, 2012, 03:44:10 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 03:44:10 pm »
My hope is for something like that but he is Waaaayyyy over there with this one.  Was that stripped or loaded with the camshaft ROR?

loaded head (cam, lifters, valves, pre-cups)
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #11October 29, 2012, 05:46:58 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 05:46:58 pm »
have crazyandy get it... he in your local... good guy.. he needs a little "bone" for all the crap that happens to him..
Sure I'll send crazyandy a pm. I'd like to help someone out with this. Seems stupid to let it go to waste. And I've been blessed a lot lately with this whole situation.

I do appreciate the offer (and thanks CRSMP5 for throwing me a bone), but I have no place to put another bottom end right now, much less a car to put it in.  If you have no offers, then I'll take it out of principle of non-wastefulness, granted I have a place to put it later.

Wouldn't mind offering to help on another project of yours if you are local enough.

Reply #12October 29, 2012, 06:37:51 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: 1.6D Bare Block and Head- Free to a good home
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 06:37:51 pm »

I do appreciate the offer (and thanks CRSMP5 for throwing me a bone), but I have no place to put another bottom end right now, much less a car to put it in.  If you have no offers, then I'll take it out of principle of non-wastefulness, granted I have a place to put it later.

Wouldn't mind offering to help on another project of yours if you are local enough.

Well we will see if anyone else can find it a home! I'd love to find someone who actually needs it. Hopefully I can get the head shipped out west to ORcoaster soon. And maybe somebody will need this bottom end sooner rather than later...

Thanks for the offer andy! Likewise to you! I'm not the brightest but I can turn wrenches and hold things :D

Reply #13November 01, 2012, 01:08:08 pm

Rising

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »

Reply #14November 02, 2012, 12:48:31 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 12:48:31 am »
If that is an original '84 Ra-bit block, it should be a JK code block and those are good engines as far a I am concerned. I have run them hard and long. If I was in your area, it would be gone.

Don't throw this away.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Fixmyvw.com