S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: a cheap 2 stage boost controller,what do u think yall???  (Read 2626 times)

February 22, 2006, 07:01:22 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

a cheap 2 stage boost controller,what do u think yall???
« on: February 22, 2006, 07:01:22 pm »
heythis is for us rocks and sticks mechanical/nonelectronic guys(girls too) at work the other day,,i was at a truckyard grabbing goodies to make a 60 series run on our dyno(engine),,,,what i came across looks like it would work,,,find a big truck,,and lookon the dashat all those switches,,,theres a few for susp height,5th wheel +stuff,,well they look like a normal toggle switch,but theyare an air switch!!!,,,the ones i grabbed have 1/4 inch air brake line withthose funny push lock connectors that let you slip the line out if you push the collar,,,,,,,,well i got a shopair regulator,and i already use that,for a controller,well i do let it go closed wastegate too,itll go like 30 psi,,and its a pain to turn the knob in "the heat of the moment",,so now you could cruise at 10-20 psi,whatever ya want,on the shopair regulator,,then flick the switch when you need max boost,,,anyone else seen these air switches??,,switch one way,air flows thru it,switch other way,,no air flow,,max boost,,figured its easier/cheaper than a soleniod,,,hit the truckyards yall for cheap boost controllers!!!i think i snagged one of mine from a  peterbilt,,just put it inseries with the other controller,,,,,well anyone ?????,,man speaking of electronics,that must suck gettin a chip to let you go like 30 psi without the lil blackbox getting angry from seeing too much boost,,theres no such thing as too much boost,just not enough guts!!!keep twisting screws,and getting dirty hands ,,mechanical folks!!!!!!

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #1February 22, 2006, 08:55:55 pm

TDForNow

• Junior

a cheap 2 stage boost controller,what do u think yall???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 08:55:55 pm »
Yep, I use 'em every day for axle lockers and pump control also. You can get 'em new at parts stores for not to much either. Newer Freightliners (Century"s and Columbia's) have modern style air-switches that are back-lit. Neat idea!
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

S-PAutomotive.com