Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: lost pump setting  (Read 3328 times)

October 08, 2012, 12:18:42 pm

lost pump setting
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:18:42 pm »
I picked up a 96 that turned out to have a leaking IP, so I got a seal kit and pulled the pump. This is a bit different than the last one in my 86.
The throttle shaft was set to marks on the complicated three spring mess, so all was good.  Until it turned out to be a washer on top of the arm.
So I tore it down, resealed and put back together.  Also turns out no keyway on the pulley.  I ended up lining the mark inside the pulley to the keyway on the shaft and fine tuned by  bench setting the timing to .80 at TDC.  Spent way too long with the 3 spring set-up and set the throttle shaft as best I could with some paint marks I had dabbed on.  The bad new is the engine heads to full throttle when it starts.  I'm thinking I'll have to drop the shaft back a couple of teeth.  Any help is appreciated.

Reply #1October 08, 2012, 01:05:12 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: lost pump setting
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »
I picked up a 96 that turned out to have a leaking IP, so I got a seal kit and pulled the pump. This is a bit different than the last one in my 86.
The throttle shaft was set to marks on the complicated three spring mess, so all was good.  Until it turned out to be a washer on top of the arm.
So I tore it down, resealed and put back together.  Also turns out no keyway on the pulley.  I ended up lining the mark inside the pulley to the keyway on the shaft and fine tuned by  bench setting the timing to .80 at TDC.  Spent way too long with the 3 spring set-up and set the throttle shaft as best I could with some paint marks I had dabbed on.  The bad new is the engine heads to full throttle when it starts.  I'm thinking I'll have to drop the shaft back a couple of teeth.  Any help is appreciated.

you are telling me that you arent running a key in your pump shaft?!

.8mm is WAY too low..

and your throttle shaft is on the wrong splines..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2October 08, 2012, 04:20:35 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:20:35 pm »
I do not know if the later style AAZ pulleys that are twist-able use a key on the shaft. The ALH and Rover pumps do not and they have the same style twisting pulley.

Reply #3October 08, 2012, 07:37:54 pm

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:37:54 pm »
This pulley hub has no keyway, there is one on the pump shaft.  It took a decent puller and a bit of heat from a hot air gun on the hub to break it loose.  Spec I found was .80 +/_ .02. I'll take the shaft back a couple of splines and try again.  Or I could drop the idle screw back a bunch and see if that helps.

Reply #4October 15, 2012, 04:22:35 pm

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »
After lots of time on search, getting frusterated with the amount of drivel, I readjusted, tested and generally tried numerous throttle settings, governor screw tweeks and timing, the car starts and runs fine.  The cold start lever doesn't make a noticable difference, same as before , but Idle is staying around 1000 rpm. I can get it lower by dropping the throttle shaft back a couple of teeth, but then slow response and low top rpm.   All the screws are set just as before. I figure I am missing something simple. ??