S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: And it begins...TDI Passat 5 speed  (Read 16428 times)

Reply #15October 08, 2012, 10:20:01 pm

JFettig

• Junior

Re: And it begins...TDI Passat 5 speed
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:01 pm »
I think I could use another gear, or just overall make the trans just a hair taller(even 1st). The ratios are very close to what you find in North American MK4 platform.

Reply #16October 08, 2012, 10:34:22 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 10:34:22 pm »
Super, I'm on the right track then.

Reply #17October 11, 2012, 06:36:27 pm

G60ING

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Corrado TDI
    • My VW Projects
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 06:36:27 pm »
I can get you a brand new 6spd Audi fwd Trans for $350+shipping. P/N: 01X-300-044-EX

I don't have the gear ratios, try looking them up.

Reply #18October 11, 2012, 07:14:42 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:14:42 pm »
The gear ratios would be good (0.658 6th x 3.75 final = 2.4675 O/A), but I would need a bunch of supporting hardware, driveshafts etc. to fit the B6 trans in my current body. I think I'll stick to my plan. If I hate the result, I'll be in touch...

Reply #19October 13, 2012, 05:10:36 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 05:10:36 pm »
Good progress today. Engine, trans, evap system and engine harness are out of the recipient. The diesel fuel tank is installed. Balance shaft module on the donor engine is deleted, replaced with an ALH oil pump, crank sprocket, tensioner and chain with a 1.8T oil pickup tube. Oil feed hole to the balance shaft module plugged and an ALH windage tray installed. Replaced the crank seal, timing belt, tensioner, roller and water pump while I was in there. Cam looks good for now.

Next order of business is the trans. Now that I have the 1.8T gearbox on the floor I can begin swapping in the V6 3rd and 4th gearsets and the "inverted 3rd" 5th gear. Beer now, tomorrow is another day...

Reply #20October 14, 2012, 03:54:42 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 03:54:42 pm »
Good progress today. Engine, trans, evap system and engine harness are out of the recipient. The diesel fuel tank is installed. Balance shaft module on the donor engine is deleted, replaced with an ALH oil pump, crank sprocket, tensioner and chain with a 1.8T oil pickup tube. Oil feed hole to the balance shaft module plugged and an ALH windage tray installed. Replaced the crank seal, timing belt, tensioner, roller and water pump while I was in there. Cam looks good for now.

Next order of business is the trans. Now that I have the 1.8T gearbox on the floor I can begin swapping in the V6 3rd and 4th gearsets and the "inverted 3rd" 5th gear. Beer now, tomorrow is another day...

Cool, nice progress on the swap so farr.  Especially like your plan for making a tall 5th.  One thing that interests me is your choice to delete the balance shaft.  Is it because it would get in the way of something you are doing to the engine internals, or just because you are going for big power and want to delete the rotating friction of the shaft?  Or do the PD's have balance shaft concerns?  Either way this is shaping up to be a pretty fun Passat.  Can't wait to see how the B platform's handling characteristics merge with the drivetrain's newfound output.  Good luck!

Reply #21October 14, 2012, 04:04:56 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 04:04:56 pm »
Cool, nice progress on the swap so farr.  Especially like your plan for making a tall 5th.  One thing that interests me is your choice to delete the balance shaft.  Is it because it would get in the way of something you are doing to the engine internals, or just because you are going for big power and want to delete the rotating friction of the shaft?  Or do the PD's have balance shaft concerns?  Either way this is shaping up to be a pretty fun Passat.  Can't wait to see how the B platform's handling characteristics merge with the drivetrain's newfound output.  Good luck!

Sadly the plan for the tall 5th went bad today. I chipped a tooth on the 3rd gear that I had planned on using as 5th. I was just trying to ease it up on the shaft a bit to get the puller jaws under it and a heard a little ping. That was that... I may entertain other transmission offers, not sure yet...

I removed the balance shaft module because they frequently destroy the drive chain and then the motor. The "VW approved" fix is a new gear driven balance module for $1500. I don't think so... None of the other TDI's use balance shafts, only the B5. Apparently a higher level of refinement is required for the passat.

Reply #22October 14, 2012, 08:35:09 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 08:35:09 pm »
Oh, no!  Horrible thing to hear, sorry.  Probably jinxed it by asking about it. :P

Never knew about the Passat PD engines having balance shafts crap out on them, but I'm an IDI guy so you'll have to forgive me on that.  But the thing is I'm actually a dealership tech and I've never seen a TDI Passat have that problem . . . but hen again I notice you're in Canada, so you probably got a completely different engine than we did.

And to be that nit-picky guy, the 1Z/AHU engines did use balance shafts, but they are timing belt driven instead of chain driven, so I guess the combustion  'shock' is mitigated by the belt.

Anyone on TDIclub selling gear assemblies?  Don't forget G60ING's offer of an audi 6 speed if any other searches go bad!

Reply #23October 15, 2012, 02:11:42 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 02:11:42 pm »
 :o mike......... mike............ mike............ 1z/ahu tdi do not have balance shafts... think passat 2.0?? but the new approved method is balance shaft delete now... they no longer make the gear modual.. and chains eat the engine when they fail...

Reply #24October 15, 2012, 09:33:48 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 09:33:48 pm »
Oh crap, I just called the intermediate shafts the balance shafts!!  Drat, that is what I get for posting on a tired mind! :P

But back to seriousness, what are the tell tale signs that a balance shaft is failing on your engine?

Reply #25October 15, 2012, 11:13:20 pm

JFettig

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 11:13:20 pm »
what are the tell tale signs that a balance shaft is failing on your engine?

That it contains one with chains ;)

Reply #26October 15, 2012, 11:26:45 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 11:26:45 pm »
1st timming belt... not heard of them making a 2nd one before damage...

Reply #27October 16, 2012, 06:48:36 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 06:48:36 am »
The trans build is back on, without any "rigging" this time. I scored a set of TDI 0.69 5th gears last night from a private seller on TDIclub. Should have them this week and I can get this thing together.

Anyone that says money doesn't solve problems hasn't worked on cars...

Reply #28November 04, 2012, 06:14:44 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 06:14:44 pm »
Finally moving on this project again. I wanted to use the 3rd and 4th gears from the V6 trans to fill in the gaps but it turns out older 012 transaxles have a different spline diameter on the output shaft 4th gear. Not a huge deal, I just ordered a new output shaft 4th gear from VW. 2 weeks and $250 later it showed up and I was able to finally assemble the transaxle. New TDI 5th gears fit perfectly and its all buttoned up and filled with 2.25l of motul gear 300. I guess I've spent about 800 bucks on the trans at this point, not sure how that compares to a european import...

I've been working on the swap at a buddys shop and he's been busy with real work so hopefully I can get hoist access next weekend to install the diesel in the recipient. After that its just ECM fixes/tune and assorted details.

If your ol' lady catches you doing this, don't blame me...

The toaster oven has been relegated to the garage so I figure its fair game.

5th gear installed,

Quality tools are your friend. If you want to work on transmissions, there are no substitutes for these. Best 40 bucks I've spent.

Reply #29November 11, 2012, 06:26:35 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 06:26:35 pm »
It lives! I installed the engine and transmission yesterday. A few wiring gremlins related to fuel pump relay and ECM "wake up" power, all sorted out today. The thing fired instantly after sitting for a year and it runs and drives great. CEL is on but only 2 codes, no comunication with TCU, thats expected, it physically isn't there... And a code for cooling fans. The 1.8t fans are not ECM controlled, or at least not in the same way as the TDI. No big deal, hit the drawings and I'll get it sorted out. The transmission works superbly, no real awkward gaps, bit of a jump to 5th, which suits me fine. Oddly enough the cruise works, as does the MFA. The engine is very smooth in spite of the solid flywheel and balancer delete. A little buzz at idle but once underway it isn't noticable. I think its quieter inside than my 2006 mazda 6 V6. It also seems to have more power than the 225hp mazda...

I am actually shocked by the amount of power it has, just smooth effortless thrust. With a mild chip tune this will be all I'll ever need.

All thats left is the cooling fan glitch, reverse light switch needs to be connected (auto used a different plug) and the ECM needs to be reflashed to ignore the TCM.

I'll probably fix up a few other things before I put it on the road. It's always easier to do it before its a daily driver. I'm getting a new trunk lid under the perforation warranty, it has some rust near the licence plate lights and it needs a good cleaning inside and out. It also has a cracked windshield, safety-able but not pretty. I may get a new one installed, I've come this far...