S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: broken turbo or something worse???  (Read 2235 times)

February 21, 2006, 09:02:37 pm

irdiver

• Junior

broken turbo or something worse???
« on: February 21, 2006, 09:02:37 pm »
here is the background story to my problem...

i bought a '91 eco diesel from a good friend who was the original owner, that was all well and good.  it had been sitting with very little driving for two years, not so good.  so i have been getting the thing back into drivable status lately.  now here is the problem, i have changed every fluid in the car, cam belt, hoses, put in a new turbo rebuild kit due to wobble in the shaft, new fuel filter up front, over 3/4 tank of new diesel, and everything seemed fine in the city.  before i rebuilt the turbo and after i never really hear the turbo spool up, but i didnt think much of it.  

anyway i took the first highway road trip, 36 miles on the interstate each way, and about 25 or so miles into it, the engine temp has crept up, then it lost power and started beltching black smoke like i just lost the engine.  i slowed the car down for a minute or two the smoke stops and the car runs like nothing happened.  so i figure odd must be carbon somewhere in the system, on the way home about the same point in the road it does it again and afterwards is fine again.  

the enigne has 273k miles on it, seems to run fine, compression test couple of years ago said 475psi on every cylinder, but one valve seems to be tapping a bit louder than the rest.

so what are the thoughts?  turbo? valve seal leak?  or not oil related at all?  still bad diesel in the tank?  im lost help!   :(

'91 jetta eco diesel - sold 10/06
currently looking for a new project

Reply #1February 21, 2006, 09:28:28 pm

irdiver

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:28:28 pm »
humm this should have been in the trouble shooting section huh, sorry about that wasnt paying attention.

Reply #2February 21, 2006, 09:32:45 pm

HP

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 09:32:45 pm »
U could hav just deleted it and post it there  :idea:

Reply #3February 21, 2006, 09:47:42 pm

irdiver

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:47:42 pm »
ok moved to the proper section, now how do i delete this one?  sheesh i cant win lately!  lol

Reply #4February 21, 2006, 09:54:34 pm

HP

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:54:34 pm »
now u can't. U can delete your last post up to the first if they are in a row, but mine is now in the midle. Let it to the mods to delete this topic..

S-PAutomotive.com