Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Oil System Upgrade  (Read 3584 times)

September 26, 2012, 11:17:00 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

Oil System Upgrade
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:17:00 pm »
First trip to the Diesel pump.  8)

The ancient tint on the rear window has gone from bad to opaque. I'm going to need a new window, there's no way that crap will come off cleanly and not damage the defroster lines.

SO then I took her out for cruise on the highway... and promptly got stuck in traffic.  :evil: 2:30, people, really?
I noticed the ride was very harsh, so I checked the tires... yep, 50 lbs of air will do that. Brought the tires down to a civilized setting, much better.
Tracks well, handles like I remember. Still not happy w/ the brakes, time for the 4-puck calipers and re-visit the BMW boost can later on.

On hard pulls EGT was around 780F, so plenty of breathing room, max boost was about 18psi, and at 60mph cruise when I finally found an open stretch of road, it was boosting around 7-8 psi.
Oil temps, however, went up to 240+ after a few hard pulls and high-speed runs... exactly what I'd heard would happen with this engine.

..which leads me to the next segment;

Oil System Upgrade

Consisting of an oil cooler mounted up front, a dual oil filter manifold, a 180-deg thermostat, a spin-on adapter, and many feet of reinforced hose.

With the dual filter rig, I am cloning AMSOIL's bypass filter setup, using their 2-micron bypass filter on one side, and a regular MANN filter on the other.
The bypass filter, by its restrictive nature, only filters maybe 10% of the oil in a given time period, but it does clean it all eventually, and removes even diesel soot particles.
I found a neat little spin-on size adapter on Ebay that allows use of the large (proprietary, maybe?) AMSOIL filter size with a regular type of filter mount... saving seveal hundred dollars over their full system price.

Mounted it on the rear upper crossbeam... the engine bay's getting crowded.

From below; no more sloppy oil changes!

The thermostat, mounted to the coolant reservoir bracket;

The spin-on adapter, replacing the original oil filter;

The front-mount oil cooler, showing the line routing behind the middle beam, just above the intercooler rad.

This is the hose I used, surplus hydraulic supply line from Ebay. Brutal stuff to cut, I used up 6 Dremel metal cutoff wheels making all the cuts for this install, the SS braid does a number on the discs. Teflon inner.

One original connector, and a failed attempt to cut it with tin snips

I followed the coolant lines up front for the hose routing. Here before finalizing and zip-ties;

The optimist in me says this is a nice clean install, and will control temps well. The pessimist in me says I've just added 24 new possible oil leaks.  :lol: 
 After pre-filling the fore-aft lines with a pump, then idling the engine for a while, turns out I only need to tighten two of the brass fittings that are weeping a little.

A drive down the highway resulted in a solid 180 degrees.

JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #1September 26, 2012, 11:26:08 pm

Trips_B

• Junior

Re: Oil System Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:26:08 pm »
Nice ride and nice work, I too would consider something like this if I had oil temps spiking that high!

The pessimist in me says I've just added 24 new possible oil leaks <-- this would have been my luck

wouldn't a hacksaw, or grinder with a cutoff wheel worked a bit better than a dremel?

Reply #2September 27, 2012, 01:25:06 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:25:06 am »
I tried a larger cutoff wheel, but it left the ends a bit ragged; the Dremel wheel gave me a nice smooth edge.
I used the new e-z lock system they have, it's a matter of seconds to change the cutter wheel.
I'd used it previously on the angle steel for the exhaust mounts, and it zipped right through that stuff, with hardly any wheel wear... this SS braid was a different matter.
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #3September 27, 2012, 01:54:30 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:54:30 am »
What was the source for the spin-on adaptor? Looks like a nice setup!

Reply #4September 27, 2012, 03:41:43 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 03:41:43 am »
What was the source for the spin-on adaptor? Looks like a nice setup!

Thanks! Works great so far, but I haven't pointed it up any steep highway grades yet... planning on a jaunt upstate this weekend.

I ordered most of the parts from Summit, the adapter, filter flange, and thermostat are all Perma-Cool brand.
The cooler is an aluminum plate 36-row by B&M, pn 70266

Here's the filter adapter 3/4"-16 UNF to 1-1/16" Product link below photo...

EBAY LINK FOR ADAPTER
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:01:11 am by Syncroincity »
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #5September 27, 2012, 08:21:13 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:21:13 am »
Where were you measuring the 240F oil temp?

I've heard ammonia dissolves the glue in window tint films. Try peeling a corner of the film back and squirt some in there with a syringe and see if it works.

Reply #6September 27, 2012, 10:17:25 am

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:17:25 am »
Syncro camper diesel?! Very nice! My FIL picked up a regular Syncro and swaped in a 1Z. Its a great ride for sure.
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #7September 27, 2012, 10:37:33 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:33 am »
Awesome syncro and awesome link on the adapter. I may run a bypass filter now.

Reply #8September 27, 2012, 10:41:11 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:11 pm »

My temp probe is in the oil filter flange on the block, along with the pressure sender. The AAZ flange has two ports.  :)

JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #9September 28, 2012, 12:11:30 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:11:30 am »

My temp probe is in the oil filter flange on the block, along with the pressure sender. The AAZ flange has two ports.  :)

Isn't there an oil to water heater exchanger on the oil filter flange? Surprised to see 240 F there.

When I was looking into oil temperature, I spoke to a Shell engineer and was told you want the oil to be around190 to 200 F measured at the sump.

Reply #10September 28, 2012, 12:21:35 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 12:21:35 am »
At first i saw that hose and was like thatll blow when a stone hits it but,it def looks like tough stuff,and tasty like bubblegum. ;D

..yea tint,sheesh years ago i used spray can style glass cleaner and it melted the glue right off..maybe a hairdryer,or heat gun to help get the tint off?or yea get some ammonia or that spray glasscleaner in behind a peeled corner.
i love summitracing.com
i remember when i lived in ohio,seemed like everyone had a summit sticker on their car somewhere :)
i worked about 10 mins from there so i was always poppin in...
ya gotta go see their showroom,its frickin awesome
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #11September 28, 2012, 02:50:30 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 02:50:30 am »
At first i saw that hose and was like thatll blow when a stone hits it but,it def looks like tough stuff,and tasty like bubblegum. ;D

..yea tint,sheesh years ago i used spray can style glass cleaner and it melted the glue right off..maybe a hairdryer,or heat gun to help get the tint off?or yea get some ammonia or that spray glasscleaner in behind a peeled corner.
i love summitracing.com
i remember when i lived in ohio,seemed like everyone had a summit sticker on their car somewhere :)
i worked about 10 mins from there so i was always poppin in...
ya gotta go see their showroom,its frickin awesome

Yeah, that was before I finished securing it, it's all zipped up above the frame rails now. Snag that on a rock while I'm moving and that's all she wrote.

The whole van had that cheap tint that had turned purple... Got it off on all the other glass, just the rear to deal with. I may pop it out so i can lay it flat and soak it with something to disolve the glue.

JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

Reply #12September 28, 2012, 08:36:57 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:36:57 am »
Sweet Syncro! And great thread on the oil cooler and filter setup as well. I'll be saving this one for another thing to do on my slow build.
Is there room for a fan on the rad if you are crawling?
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #13September 28, 2012, 11:45:03 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 11:45:03 pm »
Sweet Syncro! And great thread on the oil cooler and filter setup as well. I'll be saving this one for another thing to do on my slow build.
Is there room for a fan on the rad if you are crawling?

There should be, behind it... Hadn't really thought about it, but that's a good point; having a separate fan for the oil.
I'm going to wire a relay & switch to run the radiator fan on override stage 3 (A/C equipped van originally)
 to draw air through the front for  low-speed situations, but where that cooler is positioned, might not get much air pulled thru it.

I chopped off half of the fresh air scoop to place the cooler, I'm pretty sure a low profile fan will fit behind it. The grille fits over it nicely, I just had to make two clearance nibbles for the mount bolts, doesn't show at all from the outside.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:47:14 pm by Syncroincity »
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie

S-PAutomotive.com