Author Topic: NEEDED: common ALH upgrade parts ex:egr delete plate  (Read 5606 times)

September 06, 2012, 08:11:42 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
NEEDED: common ALH upgrade parts ex:egr delete plate
« on: September 06, 2012, 08:11:42 pm »
The 1999.5 TDI golf I got to replace my AAZ mk2 jetta is slow as molasses in winter in comparison so im going to get all the parts i need together before i get greasy.
I'm looking for:
Nozzles. - Malone contacted me.
EGR delete. I'm looking for the plate as well as a good walk through thread if anyone knows of one?
Possible VNT upgrade? But unlikely - too much monies.
Chip tuning - any insight into this would be appreciated.
I plan on fabricating my own exhaust.
I've seen really nice looking equal length exhaust mani's i would like to replicate so i'll be doing that too.
Any info what so ever on emissions trickery or best methods for "beating" emission control (the kind where they just plug a vagcom into the car and see what it says. Im wondering if i can parse false values to the ecu so regardless of what the engine is actually doing it spits "correct" values to the emission control people.
I plan on doing LNG or LPG (likely LPG) in conjunction with NO2 and water/methanol injection (or rather i should say introduction) into the intake manifold at WOT - OR an override momentary switch. Im planing on keeping the car looking at stock as possible and keeping all mods outside the engine cavity hidden.
I'll be porting the head some and polishing the intake.

The aaz i made was an absolute monster so I'm not trying to replicate that but the car is just SO slow in comparison I can't stand it. I feel like im going to get rear ended when i merge onto the freeway. I also have a haunting suspicion that the sluggishness is a result of the EGR nonsense.
The POs of the car (my parents) who had it since birth always took it to the stealership to have them blast all the carbon out for about $1,000... they did this three times in the car's life to date.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:18:18 pm by Smokey Eddy »

Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #1September 06, 2012, 09:16:35 pm

745 turbogreasel

Re: NEEDED: common ALH upgrade parts ex:egr delete plate
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:16:35 pm »
I have a dead ALH EGR valve if you want it to modify...plumb your drugs in through  the 'exhaust in'.
Pretty sure you can set requested EGR to 0, and it wont get upset aobut low flow.

Reply #2September 06, 2012, 09:27:27 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:27:27 pm »
Just in case you guys didn't know Malone is selling these cheap. I just got mine last week 190.00

Also, for a limited time he is selling 2 for 1 tunes. I will post links to the TDI club for those that don't know.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=357737

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=358257

Reply #3September 07, 2012, 12:03:07 am

JFettig

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:03:07 am »
Flashzilla won't work on 99.5. The ECU needs to be socketed and chipped.

Sounds like you don't quite know what you are after. not too common to use LPG or LNG on a TDI.
Take a look around at the different turbo options, you'll probably want to stick with VNT. There are a few bolt-on upgrades and a few that need custom manifolds.

you can get EGR blockoff plates and hoses for EGR delete from idparts or dieselgeek.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:30:40 am by JFettig »

Reply #4September 07, 2012, 07:32:48 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 07:32:48 am »
Well, I didn't know about the socketed and chip part, but I don't think Malone's site said anything about it. And it still says 2 for 1 tunes for that engine, so I would take advantage of it. He does do great stuff and is a Mod here.

Reply #5September 07, 2012, 09:27:11 am

JFettig

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:11 am »
I am a dealer of his ;)

What year is yours? The OP says his is a 99.5 - socket and chip :) Flashzilla doesn't work there.

Reply #6September 07, 2012, 09:39:24 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 09:39:24 am »
mine is 01, reguardless this post is his, I have mine handled. I was just offering the info I had, which I am not a TDI expert, but knew the sale was on.

Reply #7September 10, 2012, 04:09:13 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »
Hey guys I really appreciate the posts.
Yes you are right, I do not know what I am after. I was hoping some TDI folks could shed some insight and you are doing so! Appreciate it.
Has anyone made any DIYs on an EGR delete?
Also, Im a little confused about the socketed and chip stuff... please go on? :P
To elaborate on my car, its listed as a 2000 but it came from germany to Vancouver, BC in the late summer of 1999.  I read that made a difference and perhaps this chip business is said difference? It's definitely a mk4 ALH engine. I can get vins if that helps any.
I'm really mostly concerned about the stupid EGR - which causes regular clogging. I just want to remove it and im more than willing to make an exhaust. I also want to know how to reset the computer to lie to the emissions people... or what is my best option for that? I have to "pass" air care (emission garbage) every 4 years so i don't really want to have to keep the old exhaust.
They look under the car with a mirror for a catalytic converter (which on a diesel is just a resonator, like a glasspack) but the people there are generally morons (no offense if you happen to work there but i just really hate air care in BC so im fairly bitter. I think its a waste of tax dollars and totally useless. It just gets in the way of people trying to live their lives) so i might need a fake cat on there too.
Anyways, so yes my main concern is the EGR and how to be rid of it. Introducing the drugs at that point is a pretty sweet idea - I'll look into that.
I'll also probably have to contact Malone some to figure out that other tuning stuff.

Edit: Someone on this forum put a LNG system on his mk4 in conjunction with the existing diesel and saw amazing mileage and performance perks. And on Top Gear there is an episode they put a NO2 system on what appeared to be some of the early TDI's like a mk3 or something but i dont think it was an AAZ and it was crazy fast! They raced it against some honda race car (i cant remember which). Its on youtube but youtube is blocked at work for me otherwise i'd find it for you all.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:14:47 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #8September 10, 2012, 04:55:22 pm

JFettig

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 04:55:22 pm »
Check your ECU part number - either with VCDS or by pulling up the raintray and I can tell you whether it can be flashed or needs to be chipped. Mark can socket your ecu, I could even do it but being in Canada, it would be cheaper for shipping to have Mark do it.

You can gut your cat, just pull the downpipe and knock all the stuff out.

Figure out what you want to spend and I'll see if I can help you spend it ;)

Jon

Reply #9September 13, 2012, 08:33:56 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 08:33:56 pm »
Okay Jon thanks so much!
Ed

Reply #10September 14, 2012, 08:19:23 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 08:19:23 pm »
Any hints on a DIY for the egr delete?
Jeremy, I'm looking at you ;)
I haven't seen Vince lately... is he alright? I was MIA from the forum for the majority of the past year with tree planting and being a ski resort hobo. Not actually a hobo... I was a cook at a steakhouse/lounge.
Ed

Reply #11September 14, 2012, 09:34:57 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:57 pm »
Have you decided to start with nozzles and then a tune?

EGR blockoff,

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2170

ands alsos yous wills needs this

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3070
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:36:52 pm by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #12September 14, 2012, 10:06:00 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »
I'm going to make an exhaust firstly if anything. Followed by tune & nozzles.
Ed

Reply #13September 14, 2012, 10:06:40 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 10:06:40 pm »
Fake cat, and a fake muffler. Both secretly hollowed out ;)

Reply #14September 15, 2012, 12:01:50 am

JFettig

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 12:01:50 am »
I make my own EGR block-off plates. I simply take a gasket, lay it on a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum, trace around it and the in the holes, drill out the holes, bandsaw the profile on the outside.

I am working on my jetta tonight, did a cooler bypass with some random hose I had plus the stock hose for the back of the head, joined them together.

S-PAutomotive.com