S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: back from the dead.hillfolk is back yall mk2 coop build  (Read 15592 times)

August 12, 2012, 12:04:13 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

back from the dead.hillfolk is back yall mk2 coop build
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:04:13 am »
oh man thanks so much theman53 for getting my old screenname back
ive moved 2 or 3 times,gotten a few computers since what 08?...wow too long
i started a thread over at that "other" place,and its my dads old 91 jetta coop na diesel
its got a replacement 1.9 with a 1.6 head..he got the new engine around 99 or so i think it was..reason for a 1.9/1.6 head was he didnt wanna mess with manifolds and stuff,it was a direct swap..
well when he went in 03 for a new car the dealer offered him 500 for trade
heh dad said screw it ill give it away..the dealer was puzzled
yea he gave it to me! i may or may not have given him 500 for it i forgot.
well i drove it a little when i lived in ohio,and when i moved back to ny i stored it away in a crappy garage around late 06/07 ......time wasnt the kindest to it and im upset about some of the things,but since my 79 tdi-m is not gonna be running for a few more years i figured in april this year to get it out of storage and get it goin......the engine has around 40k on it and i got enough stuff to do a stock td setup,but slow is fine for now.....i figured ill make it pretty instead of fast.fast is for the 79
this is for slow cruisin with my girl and goin to the drive in and what not...
i may try to cut and paste some of the thread from that "other" place,but ill start from gettin it outta storage
thats my work truck.i hate that bouncy bastard it hurts my touchhole

there it is at the shop,which is new cause we had it cave in from snow load in winter 10
it misssed my 79s roof by 6 inches from bein flattened!!!

i put the single round front and m3 tails on it back in 05 or so....

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #1August 12, 2012, 12:20:42 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Re: back from the dead.hillfolk is back yall mk2 coop build
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:20:42 am »
i got a few k layin around from some hard work i did tearing down the shop,so its goin in the coop.always wanted ats's and got them 20%off memorial day sale thru tunershop..heh it doesnt run yet,but mah wheels r nice! who cares if they r small?ive got a big d**k to make up for it.
this is a pic of a pic,circa 98-99 when my dad built the hangar the first time

all i didd at this point was was n wax it and pose it for pics...im goin 4 wheelin wanna go?

i was freaked about the timing belt,which one it takes...i thought it used a smaller int shaft pulley and a std 1.6 belt...
i was gettin all kinds of opinions over there so i pulled it out...turns out its the same as my 98 tdi..glad i had a new one on the shelf
at least i found out a mk3 floorpan is the same as the coop

i also had to section the gas tank mount.after the tow to the shop,the straps were so rotted they were all broken....its gettin scary. ....i did tons of welding on the 79 and wsnt looking fwd to doin it again on the coop
i stole parts from my wrecked 98

coop on the left...79 on the right

my 98 that also serves as my painting bench for painting stuff on the 91...im gonna cut the roof off and flog it around as an airport support vehicle
leave the keys in it and its a community car..just fill the 3 liter soda bottle under the hood with fuel once in a while.thanks(tank is goin in the coop)

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #2August 12, 2012, 12:22:47 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:22:47 am »
why are my pics half cut off?u guys seein that?is it
 my photobucket settings?
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #3August 12, 2012, 12:31:02 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 12:31:02 am »
Welcome back.  Your pics look fine.  Any issues with the uber high compression using the 1.6 head on the 1.9?  26:1?  What's going on with the '79?

Reply #4August 12, 2012, 12:54:12 am

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:54:12 am »
why are my pics half cut off?u guys seein that?is it
 my photobucket settings?

Don't worry the pics are fine.  You just need to use the lateral scroll bar at the bottom of the bost to shift te entire post pics over.

And I wasn't here the first time you were here, so hi!

Reply #5August 12, 2012, 01:03:19 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 01:03:19 am »
well after waterfest 07 on the way home from joisey.the timing belt tensioner stud backed out while i was in a toll booth....i hillfolked it back together in 3 or 4 hours on the side of the road and got it home..drove it another week or 2 and parked it...the lifters were all messed up...i disassembled the engine and bought a new head...then the rust was gettin horrendus,i did drivers side floorpanand inner rocker and started to lose interest..tzwhe hangar collapsed...ill get it done eventually but the coop is easier to get goin now
i got some goodies for the 79,like a quaife,a trans rebuild kit,and about 8 boxes im mixing and matching ratios from...even the 7a(84 jetta td trans code) was too short.im switching it to a 3.67r+p...i got like 2 or 3 k in parts accumulated...snow performance water injection pump,stewart warner 5 inch diesel tach,10inch be cool rad fan...its all gutted out inside now but ill leave the dash
heres the hangar collapsed around it.one plane was flat as a pancake

total devistation

heres a fun europlate tho...u been vagged lol

i built this for a friend when the shop was torn up..i cant stay idle..gotta build stuff....
its extremely dangerous tho..brakes rub on the tires and it does 70 with a 10hp
i took it on a midnight ride once at the shop on backroads and was out for an hour...all i could focus on was the double yellow line...glad no deer or critters ran out...that was fun but scares me if i think about it too much
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #6August 12, 2012, 01:08:27 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:27 am »
to me the coop is really becoming fun to work on..
my dad bought it brand new,and i remember the day he brought it home.
so to me,its more than a car,its memories man.......
actually i didnt see him bring it home,i was out mowing lawns with a friend and he stopped by with it
i think it had under 200 miles..it came from another dealer.
im bugging him to find more paperwork,like the window sticker.
i got the bill of sale and manuals and stuff like that though
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #7August 12, 2012, 09:14:21 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 09:14:21 am »
i got a really long thread goin over there...should i post a link??

well im reviewing the damage caused by sitting...rotted holes,smelly interior..white crust on the aluminum...i got alot of work...
tie rod boots crumbled in my hands when i breathed on em...gotta stop eatin garlic!!
i ordered the door seal repair kit from vintage rubber,and a trunk seal too..
i was orderin parts like a madman...
new struts,neuspeed sport springs,one bill from gar was 750
gas tank straps,tie rod assys,jom spring caps,bfi has these cool front blinkers with city lights...
i love lights,so more the better.when i was a lil guy and id visit my gma in the city,id drag her to the corner to watch the stop light change :)

new brakes,those cool ate powerslots with the coating...
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #8August 12, 2012, 09:28:26 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 09:28:26 am »
 one of my vw buddies came up from pa,and his wife cleaned the interior..thanks toby n jen....
by this point ive rebuilt the injectors..the fuel smelled real nasty...and i got the timing belt done...the shifter was totally frozen,i disconnected the linkage and the trans lever moves,yay..i got a linkage rebuild kit...
i made a oil pump priming tool and primed the oil system,and hooked the fuel lines to a bucket...
i was nervous.ill give a play by play of thoughts running thru my head:
was the pump ok?is the plunger gonna sieze?am i gonna hear death noises???ive got like 2500 in parts and i havent turned the key! !!
i put the battery to it,no sparks...good....turn the key on....dash lights on,yay...ok key off,quick smoke break to look around......looks ok...ok ready dad??turn the key!!!!nothin.......waaah....wtf?...gimme a jumper wire...starter bumps...ok glow it and ill hit the jumper dad...it cranked about 15 secs and im gettin fuel spittin...close some lines and crank again...voom started up decent...no funny noises...i let it run about 3-4 mins with open exhaust cause it was rotted off..it wasnt too loud either...
wow the old injector tips were locked solid!!!

does this vid clip work?lemme know
http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii563/hillfolkvwdude/video-2012-07-14-22-17-33.mp4

anyways,since it runs,time to make er pretty..im paintin the suspension all up,and sandblasting alotta parts at work
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #9August 12, 2012, 09:35:45 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 09:35:45 am »
i painted the struts red,red control arms,silver subframe and rear beam...ss brake hoses...come over for dinner,on my front suspension(clean enuf to eat off of)!!!!!

more
new wheel bearings

here it is assembled

i got new clips for the door trim....
more

stupid clip rotted out of that ball thing for the shift linkage...
i should take out stock in por-15 company

dad to the rescue machining out for a countersunk screw
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #10August 12, 2012, 09:38:49 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 09:38:49 am »
such a common thing that ball.. 1st cannot just buy a ball.. 2nd no idea how its held in place.. but they do like to fall off..

Reply #11August 12, 2012, 06:47:14 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 06:47:14 pm »
check that first pic...dad drilled and tapped a countersunk hole..thats the screw with a countersunk washer next to it..
heres the pic with it installed

id could be duplicated on a drill press and some careful work
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #12August 12, 2012, 09:40:53 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 09:40:53 pm »
ok im tryin to get ya caught up to current...cause im about 10hrs of labor from test driving it around the shop......yo u guys gotta check out fuelsender.com
my buddy is a salesman for em,i got an awesome flaring tool for doing all new brake lines i got a new prop valve,mine was crusted like a mofo
heres the tool..i can do a bubble flare in 30seconds and im slow as molasses lol

i got this brake line from him that i swear u can tie in a knot and it doesnt kink
i duplicated every bend in the rear lines to almost factory spec(the ones from the hoses to wheel cyls)

they have some cool stuff on that site,go check it....
fuelsender.com
heres part of my 90$ summit exhaust...some bends,some pipe(2.25) some ss band clamps and a glasspack..my old dtm tip too

itll be loud and slow just like a wheelbarrow...oops wheelbarrow?i meant harley davidson...same thing

these suckers are vintage,when they still sold waterco
oled parts..ill just hang that on the shop wall

this is how hillfolk deals with crackhead neighbors...glad we made an offer on a house and it was accepted yesterday!!!!!bah bah loser tweaker crackheads

by this point,the rear beam and suspension is all painted..heres an action shot of dad making my rear hub spacers

here,we be pokin boyeeeee
cant wait to get it off the stands to see it on the ground

more pretty paint pics

:)

i wish i had some mk2 jetta rear vw badges,i think the size is better...these are from her old mk4 hubcaps..i knew mk4s were good for somethin..i was gonna get some red capplugs,but i think this will be cooler...ill glue em on with silicone...vw pride yoe

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #13August 13, 2012, 12:12:40 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 12:12:40 am »
Plane was smashed....yikes.

Fields didn't get sprayed this year, then?
Did insurance pay out on it?
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #14August 13, 2012, 06:10:54 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 06:10:54 am »
Wow your build flies on multi year condense!
Welcome back

they have some cool stuff on that site,go check it....
fuelsender.com

I just pay  to live somewhere that stuff never rusts out :P

Whats the small window work truck in the 1st post?

Fixmyvw.com