Author Topic: Best way to clean seats?  (Read 3667 times)

August 08, 2012, 05:35:51 pm

Turbofan

• Junior

Best way to clean seats?
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:35:51 pm »
After all the engine work I did, I'm finally getting around to other projects. The seats in my car are pretty heinous after 26 years of abuse (with the exception of the drivers seat which I swapped out of a '98 Beetle) and are stained and dingy. What's the best way to clean the fabric? Anyone have any good tips that work? Thanks.

Reply #1August 08, 2012, 10:01:37 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Best way to clean seats?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:01:37 pm »
Pre-treat with a carpet cleaner, let soak for 30 mins and crank up the pressure washer.  No kidding, works on carpet too.

Reply #2August 08, 2012, 10:59:05 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »
Unless they have been painted...my favorite is brake cleaner. If they have been painted carpets or seats the brake cleaner will pull it off. Works best for spots of oil and grease. If I were to do an entire interior then I would go the pressure washer route first then go to the brake cleaner.

Reply #3August 08, 2012, 11:47:01 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:01 pm »
My first question, is if you're swapping seats, why did you just do one and not the rest? That seems silly to have an oddball seat.

I use carpet cleaner, and by that I mean commercial grade carpet cleaner concentrate for carpet extraction cleaners (shampooers). Put a diluted solution of it in a spray bottle. Spray then seats, scrub them with a gentle brush then suck that stuff up with a shop wet/dry vac. Rinse with some water and then dry with the vac.

For carpet, take the whole thing out of the car, spray it with carpet cleaner and a then use a garden hose (or pressure washer) and let dry.

Reply #4August 09, 2012, 12:34:59 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:34:59 am »
are you serious? brake cleaner on recaros or something thats actually valuable?

ive never cleaned my recaros because i never knew what would be safe for them..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5August 09, 2012, 09:12:56 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:56 am »
The stuff in brake cleaner is similar to what they use in a dry cleaner. I used it in my 01 TDI too get grease off. You have to wipe it up, but usually it pulls whatever is in it right off. I didn't start using it on recaros, I have junk stuff, but after testing on my junk I would use it on any kind of fiber carpet or seat.

Reply #6August 09, 2012, 09:26:57 am

Turbofan

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:26:57 am »
I like the pressure washer idea. I tried some kind of crazy oxy-something or other but my results were limited. The reason I only swapped one seat is a several fold answer. When I stopped working at Greasecar years ago (where the other seat was), the donor car I think had been hit on the right side, or at least the right window was broken (I think). At any rate, it was really mildewy, so when I left, I left it there in hopes that maybe someone else might be able to use it. Aside from being nasty, I rarely have passengers in my car, my girlfriend refuses to ride in any of my cars because they are "too old and uncomfortable", so I didn't really have any drive to put it in. Surprisingly, people rarely notice that I have one black seat and the rest are the old blue ones unless I point it out. After the first seat, I realized the newer seats are heavier too, so I figured might as well keep any extra weight down.
I must say, the seat is awesome to sit in though and the ability to control height as well as the back rest is awesome.

Back to the subject at hand, how do you dry the seat after? Stick it in the garage with the dehumidifier running?

Reply #7August 09, 2012, 12:45:36 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:45:36 pm »
I just let it air dry.

Of course, it's usually 70+ degrees and sunny here.

Reply #8August 09, 2012, 01:30:33 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:30:33 pm »
Set it out in full sun is the best way.  Something I struggle to do most times as the fog rolls in about the time I finish doing a job like this.  So I do keep the dehumidfier option as well.  Might just stick it in a closet or small bathroom and let it dry that way.  Got an old appliance box handy?  Even smaller space. 

Reply #9August 09, 2012, 07:18:25 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 07:18:25 pm »
Brake clean is actually a slightly reformulated version of perchloroethelene. Which is the solvent they use in dry leaning machines. However the difference is, dry cleaning machines contain the fabrics when using that solution.

I've used simple green and a pressure washer and did the double rounds of spraying it down to ensure that I've gotten all he product out

Reply #10August 09, 2012, 09:18:22 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:22 pm »
Well, if you have some spare time, take the covers off the seats completely, and either dry-clean them or use a laundromat washer with liquid non-bleach detergent. I just washed my Recaro grey upholstery, it came out like brand new. The only issue I had was the ancient thin foam backing on some of the fabric washed off, which does not affect it at all.

It's also a perfect time to shore up any sagging or ripped foam pads, and install a heated seat kit, if you're in a cold climate.  8)

Clip off the metal hogrings to remove, then use nylon zip-ties to reattach the upholstery. The beauty of this is it allows you to cinch up the ties gradually, leaving lots of room for your hands to install other ties.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:43:55 pm by Syncroincity »
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #11August 09, 2012, 09:46:44 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 09:46:44 pm »
Syncro, I have had good luck placing a thin foam layer, Jo Ann fabrics, over the pads and then enclosing in the cloth cover.  Very comfy.  Maybe not as much as a seated seat.  Does that qualify as Install Bun Warmer?

Reply #12August 10, 2012, 02:44:15 pm

Turbofan

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 02:44:15 pm »
I was a little afraid that taking the seat upholstery off and getting it wet may lead to shrinkage. I like the zip tie approach, hog rings can be such a PITA. I've done it before without the correct tools and it isn't the most pleasant job.
How does the foam react to brake cleaner? Obviously just dabbing it onto a rag is the proper technique, but would it dissolve seat foam if over applicated?

Reply #13August 10, 2012, 04:09:22 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 04:09:22 pm »
I wouldn't think a soaking of Brake Cleaner would be good.  As it comes in a compressed form and sprays on I would go lightly on it.  It is so volitile it eventually goes into thin air.  Sometimes faster than you would like.  So a few coats to get at the heavy spots would be my approach.  No Douching. 

Reply #14August 10, 2012, 08:17:10 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 08:17:10 pm »
If the foam is good and not dry rot I haven't had any issues, but I always test as "your results may vary" deal even on myself.

If you have never used brake clean on seats and cloth I urge you to try it on something you wouldn't die if it would ruin and would like it if it were cleaner. That is always a good test. Love the stuff.

Fixmyvw.com