Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: GPH rating of a DB2 pump...  (Read 3545 times)

July 27, 2012, 01:28:11 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
GPH rating of a DB2 pump...
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:28:11 pm »
im gonna be installing a racor filter on an 82 Oldsmodiesel Delta 88 wagon.. what is the minimum requirements?

92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #1July 27, 2012, 03:07:33 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: GPH rating of a DB2 pump...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:07:33 pm »
Wouldn't you want to know the maximum amount of fuel it draws into the pump so you can be sure that Racor can provide it?  Just wondering.

Reply #2July 27, 2012, 03:49:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:49:48 pm »
i wanna know how much fuel flows thru the pump in an hour..

i dont want to put too small of an element on there..

i know that the bosch VE pumps need about 15 gph minimum to stay happy, and get good mileage..

my filter does 15gph @ 0 psi.. im feeding it with a lift pump..

the person that knows the figure, will know exactly what im talkin about...

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3July 27, 2012, 05:43:53 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:43:53 pm »
Thanks for the spec on the VE pump.  I was wondering on that as I had the ill fortune to have cross wired my solenoids on my WVO system and during purge I was dumping the WVO back into the main tank.  I was kind of wondering why the main gauge was going up all the time instead of down.

Also have the self priming Racor in line with a regular 10 micron filter/heater combo.  Works pretty well for providing clean hot Veg oil.

Reply #4July 27, 2012, 08:41:07 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 08:41:07 pm »
Thanks for the spec on the VE pump.  I was wondering on that as I had the ill fortune to have cross wired my solenoids on my WVO system and during purge I was dumping the WVO back into the main tank.  I was kind of wondering why the main gauge was going up all the time instead of down.

Also have the self priming Racor in line with a regular 10 micron filter/heater combo.  Works pretty well for providing clean hot Veg oil.

you got the one with integrated lift pump? how does it work? that was going to be my next filter, provided the lift pump in it is somewhat useful.. what pressure does it operate at?

BTW.. spoke w/ giles, and the DB2 pump needs roughly 15-20 gph to stay happy..

Reply #5July 27, 2012, 10:09:02 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:09:02 pm »
I have the 445R2 with a short length filter so I don't loose a lot of heat as it sits waiting to get delivered to the FPHE then the IP.

The Manufacturer specs:  http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.338f315e827b2c6315731910237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=94639bd01975e210VgnVCM10000048021dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextfmt=EN&productcategory=productline&vgnextdiv=687630&vgnextcatid=2759465&vgnextcat=445R+SERIES+FUEL+FILTER%2FWATER+SEPARATORS&Wtky=

It has that black primer pump on it and seems to do a good job of pulling and pushing fuel when the system goes dry.  I used it pretty much to get the air out of the IP by pulling the Out hose off and pushing the fuel into a clean container.  So I don't think this is the filter you are thinking of.  You are looking at a powered pump correct, pushes all the time?

Might be able to show it to you at PIR this weekend if we both make it.

Reply #6July 30, 2012, 02:12:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »
I have the 445R2 with a short length filter so I don't loose a lot of heat as it sits waiting to get delivered to the FPHE then the IP.

The Manufacturer specs:  http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.338f315e827b2c6315731910237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=94639bd01975e210VgnVCM10000048021dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextfmt=EN&productcategory=productline&vgnextdiv=687630&vgnextcatid=2759465&vgnextcat=445R+SERIES+FUEL+FILTER%2FWATER+SEPARATORS&Wtky=

It has that black primer pump on it and seems to do a good job of pulling and pushing fuel when the system goes dry.  I used it pretty much to get the air out of the IP by pulling the Out hose off and pushing the fuel into a clean container.  So I don't think this is the filter you are thinking of.  You are looking at a powered pump correct, pushes all the time?

Might be able to show it to you at PIR this weekend if we both make it.

its not my car, and the person who owns it, isnt looking at spending THAT MUCH on a filter.. the 445R was the filter that excited me, but it was almost $250 at Oil Filter Service in portland.. and that was one of the cheaper places!

i WAS up there this weekend, just not at PIR.. i was driving the Turbodiesel as well..

(saw a 2011+ silver BENTLEY CONTINENTAL SUPERSPORTS GT while i was up there tho!) those come with a 600+hp W12!

im going to be installing a 120R filter on it.. the same filter i have on my car.. and im going to be installing it in the same manner (between the stock filter, and the pump inlet) as i installed it on my VW..

i have had ZERO issues with my filtration system.. i installed it in the rabbit over a year ago, and still have not had to change either filter.. also, i was told by giles that there is NO NEED to filter your fuel down to 2 microns.. he said 7-10 microns is MORE THAN ENOUGH filtration for a rotary pump.. so, with a 2 micron filter, my pump and injectors should last FOREVER!! lol...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:16:10 pm by R.O.R-2.0 »

Reply #7July 30, 2012, 09:45:40 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:45:40 pm »
I don't want to hear you wailing all the way from the coast but my filter flange,

With the 2 micron filter,

80 bucks.

Quiet man! you'll wake the neighbors!

Guy had it sitting on his garage shelf and was planning to put it on his motorhome.  Decided that filter would never make any difference in getting him better mileage so he sold the home.  Then remembered the filter. 

I think I priced the filter someplace off Columbia Blvd for more like 180.  Still pretty steep. 

And yeah why the 2mm final.  Like you say injectors should last forever.  If I should ever have to replace it I may go the larger pores but only if big savings on filter.  Mine is on a veg oil system not the diesel side. 

sorry not to show at the show, was deep into tinkering with that danged rabbit all Sunday right up and past dinner time. 

Reply #8July 31, 2012, 02:27:20 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:27:20 pm »
I don't want to hear you wailing all the way from the coast but my filter flange,

With the 2 micron filter,

80 bucks.

Quiet man! you'll wake the neighbors!

Guy had it sitting on his garage shelf and was planning to put it on his motorhome.  Decided that filter would never make any difference in getting him better mileage so he sold the home.  Then remembered the filter. 

I think I priced the filter someplace off Columbia Blvd for more like 180.  Still pretty steep. 

And yeah why the 2mm final.  Like you say injectors should last forever.  If I should ever have to replace it I may go the larger pores but only if big savings on filter.  Mine is on a veg oil system not the diesel side. 

sorry not to show at the show, was deep into tinkering with that danged rabbit all Sunday right up and past dinner time. 

i never made it to the show either.. i was at pick n pull with a couple friends.. we found LOTS of brand new lightly used parts..

i bought a BRAND NEW (IN THE BAG) 100mm mk2 PS axle.. $25... didnt need it, but i could not pass up a brand new axle in the trunk of a mk2.. no pulling required.. pop trunk, pick up axle..

also got a $50 dollar CD changer cable for 3$ and some change..

never made it to the bug in..

btw.. your filter you got.. F*** you... im SOOOOO jelly... that was a GREAT deal you got.. was it heated with the electric lift pump? those ones are MORE than $250..

they wanted OBSCENE amounts of money for it where i checked.. so i passed on the 445R

Reply #9July 31, 2012, 10:28:03 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:28:03 pm »
445R is the cheaper not heated not pumped.  I run a prefilter with the VW Oil cooler as a heater instead so the fuel hitting either filter is up to engine temp as it moves to the final FPHE which is a foot in front of the IP.  I have digital temp gauges on the preheater and the IP so I can see that things are warm enough as I go.  I can usually hit the solenoids after just about 3 miles and get the oil in the FPHE to the pump at around 140.  VDO gauge is just bumping up past 50 C.  But it is at the end of the line after all heat soaks have taken a bit from the initial temps.

Which P-N-P are you using?  The one on Columbia or Foster Rd?

Might go shopping for injectors.

Reply #10August 01, 2012, 04:51:14 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 04:51:14 pm »
445R is the cheaper not heated not pumped.  I run a prefilter with the VW Oil cooler as a heater instead so the fuel hitting either filter is up to engine temp as it moves to the final FPHE which is a foot in front of the IP.  I have digital temp gauges on the preheater and the IP so I can see that things are warm enough as I go.  I can usually hit the solenoids after just about 3 miles and get the oil in the FPHE to the pump at around 140.  VDO gauge is just bumping up past 50 C.  But it is at the end of the line after all heat soaks have taken a bit from the initial temps.

Which P-N-P are you using?  The one on Columbia or Foster Rd?

Might go shopping for injectors.

only injectors you will find are that of a mercedes... i saw no VW diesels of any sort.. not even the remnants.

im gonna say it was the foster one, because the Columbia one is the one i frequent, and it was NOT that yard..

and the 445r was not cheap in anyway when i checked.. the ones he had in stock had the primer and stuff already installed. they were not base model 445rs