Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Clutch adjustment question.....after clutch replacement  (Read 5825 times)

July 31, 2004, 02:25:14 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
Clutch adjustment question.....after clutch replacement
« on: July 31, 2004, 02:25:14 pm »
I just replaced the clutch, p-plate, and flywheel on my TD Caddy. The tranny is an 020 AGS transmission, so it's the same as all other 020 transmission.  I did install a 210 clutch combination, but that's nothing out of the ordinary from what I understand...

Here's my problem, it seems like the clutch is not releasing/engaging properly.  The pedal is virtually limp. I know there is an adjustment on the clutch cable, but I'm not sure if that's what it needs.

The clutch release bar on the front of the transmission is very easy to move to the upmost position (easily done with one hand).

Is there something assembled wrong? Or is there something I need to adjust?

Thanks to all, I want to get her back on the road very soon.

Mikey

(pic for views)

Reply #1July 31, 2004, 04:48:58 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Re: Clutch adjustment question.....after clutch replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 04:48:58 pm »
Quote from: "Mikeyworks"
I just replaced the clutch, p-plate, and flywheel on my TD Caddy. The tranny is an 020 AGS transmission, so it's the same as all other 020 transmission.  I did install a 210 clutch combination, but that's nothing out of the ordinary from what I understand...

Here's my problem, it seems like the clutch is not releasing/engaging properly.  The pedal is virtually limp. I know there is an adjustment on the clutch cable, but I'm not sure if that's what it needs.

The clutch release bar on the front of the transmission is very easy to move to the upmost position (easily done with one hand).

Is there something assembled wrong? Or is there something I need to adjust?

Thanks to all, I want to get her back on the road very soon.

Mikey

(pic for views)

The clutch lever on the transmission should be fairly easy to move by hand, until at one point while moving it upwards, it should get *very* hard if not practically impossible to move by hand (but the force of your foot with the high leverage of the pedal should be able to move it in that zone, no problem.)

You want to set your clutch pedal height so that the pedal at the highest position has a bit (like an inch or less) of free-play before the resistance gets noticeably increased by your foot, which is also the same point where the lever gets very hard to move with your hand.  Sounds like you either need to tighten up the clutch pedal adjuster (loosen jam-nut and unthread the lower threaded shaft part, then gently re-tighten jam-nut) to take out a lot of the slack, or you've got something messed up inside your transmission (forgot to install the release plate, or used a 4-speed rod pushrod instead of a 5-speed, etc.)  Also make sure you've got all the little parts (rubber piece, metal plate) that connects the clutch linkage to the transmission lever.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2July 31, 2004, 05:01:54 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 05:01:54 pm »
Jake,

I will attempt to adjust the clutch cable tonight. I have a feeling that is what the problem is.  

However, God forbid I forgot to install something, what does the release plate look like?  I know I THINK I put everything back in that came off of it.

I will update more after I try to get the work done.

Mikey

Reply #3July 31, 2004, 09:27:12 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 09:27:12 pm »
Well, I adjusted the clutch cable Jake....it tightened up nicely.

I pushed the pedal a couple times and it felt nice, rather tight, like a new clutch should....then on push number three.......SNAP....and the pedal hits the floor.....followed by some muttered obcenities (glad the little girl was in bed).

I got out to figure out what the hell happened and found the culprit.....the 23 year old casing for the clutch cable just didn't like being stressed that much and it gave out under the stress of the new clutch.

Time to call Impex FAP and get a new clutch cable.  Luckily they don't cost all that much!!!!

Thanks again for the advice Jake.

Mikey

S-PAutomotive.com