Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 137069 times)

Reply #270August 12, 2013, 08:19:30 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
I have no clue what happened. It acts completely different now. Before it boosted but hit harder up top now it pulls from the bottom more and only gets to 800f egt so something changed. Maybe the entire time something was off on the last go around and this time when rebuilt it is as it should have been? I am hoping. Still pulls ok, but needs more fuel. I will give it that in about 500 more miles :D
Any chance your throttle cable is in a different position and your not reaching WOT?  BTW, smart move on a gradual increase on all the new stuff. I need to remember to "de-tune" mine before I get to jiggy wit it (if I ever finish the darn thing ;D)
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #271August 12, 2013, 09:16:48 am

CRSMP5

he close to wot... too much throw and not enough pedal.. to get wot it will not return to idle..

spent some time on his door latch/horn issues yesterday..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:38:52 am by CRSMP5 »

Reply #272August 12, 2013, 10:28:47 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio

This was the look I was going for :D

Reply #273August 12, 2013, 10:35:58 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I didn't touch any fueling settings from the first turbo rebuild to this one. The fueling stayed the same, I figure the turbo wasn't making air correctly and now it is? So now the EGT are less and I need more fuel is all I can figure.

I cranked up the boost controller to see if I can make more boost and 15 pounds is now it. I don't know why when I had the EMP gauge on it I could make 18psi and now only 15psi, but the consensus is I need more fuel.

CRS and I took a spin and I did get to WOT a couple times. It made the weird noise when I was chasing down a Civic. Thought a boost hose blew off but it didn't. As soon as it happened I let off. Similar noise it made when it undid itself last go around. This time it was fine...

CRS also said he could he me on the street above his house coming in LOL. It has a neat throaty sound. I think he liked the drive and did some good work on the door handles :D

Reply #274August 12, 2013, 12:40:35 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
yeah i actually had to stretch my arm out to get it haha.  do you 2 think it may still need a bov?  or didn't it make the noise when you were shifting?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #275August 12, 2013, 12:43:33 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
made the noise under full load right about to shift

Reply #276August 25, 2013, 08:54:43 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Dropped the wastegate to around 10psi as that is easy to hit no issues. I think that the sound I heard was the wastegate opening only at that 15psi ish level it is more violent and louder. At 10psi you can hear it modulating, and if you keep giving it the skinny pedal it will rise  on up a bit. Seems like the wastegate just can't get rid of it enough to keep it down. Seems to stop creeping around 13 psi. I hope that is good enough and wonder if when I up the fuel if I should set it for 20ish psi hoping for it to creep to 25ish???

That leads me to the next question, with this turbo and head combo what should be the max psi I can run? I don't want to over spin the turbo as the V.E. is probably pretty good compared to a stock head. If the machinist would ever send me the flow chart I could get an idea but just as the head took over a year to get ... I am not getting anywhere with the flow chart. So just guessing around 25psi for max as the head maybe swallowing up the boost??? If you didn't know it is a T3 vw exhaust with a T3 Merc 45 trim cold side. The head has 7mm stems and 40mm intake 33mm exhaust.

Reply #277August 25, 2013, 09:04:35 pm

8v-of-fury

NICE! and SIHT all at the same time.

Very weird what it is doing. Same noise, but no broken compressor.

Reply #278August 26, 2013, 09:40:21 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I think the last time something was messed up with the turbo. This noise sounds different than when the compressor bailed on me but the same noise as when CRSMP5 and I took that spin. The turbo when boosting over 10 psi makes a loud turbo whine too. It kind of scares me as it is loud and sounds like it is spinning too fast. I have no clue how fast it is going and that is why I wonder what the total PSI should be set at.

Reply #279August 27, 2013, 07:35:44 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
im thinking you'll be done with that turbo in the 20-25psi range.  i think you'll be able to tell when you're at the limit of the turbo, i know on my 1.8t it really pulls till 5-6k and then u can just feel it that theres no more air.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #280August 29, 2013, 09:18:55 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Trying to find my old flow chart from Dec. of 08. I guess I will have to dig it up as where it was posted in my old thread is no longer working and I cannot find it in the computer. I have new flow chart numbers for the intake only I am trying to compare it to a stock heads flow. Granted every stock head will not flow exactly alike but this will give me an idea.

Found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the old head, it shows stock intake exhaust as well as the modded intake exhaust.

OK so to explain, 1 and 2 above are the intake in ported / stock. Then 3 and 4 are the exhaust in stock / ported...Of the old head in case you missed that. The top is just the intake numbers from the new head.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:20:22 pm by theman53 »

Reply #281August 29, 2013, 10:58:58 am

Rising

• Veteran

So thats just ported intake and exhaust ports on the head before and after? Or is that with bigger valves and all your other mods?

If that's a simple port and polish. It seems there is great gains to be had on the intake side. I've been curious about doing some home gasket matching and polishing to try and eek out some more efficiency.

Also do you have numbers that compare the stock TD IM to your sausage stuffer flow or are those secrets ;D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #282August 29, 2013, 12:25:43 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
I think the last time something was messed up with the turbo. This noise sounds different than when the compressor bailed on me but the same noise as when CRSMP5 and I took that spin. The turbo when boosting over 10 psi makes a loud turbo whine too. It kind of scares me as it is loud and sounds like it is spinning too fast. I have no clue how fast it is going and that is why I wonder what the total PSI should be set at.

Have you posted a video of this beast yet?

Sent from Outer Space!

Reply #283August 29, 2013, 06:26:29 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
So thats just ported intake and exhaust ports on the head before and after? Or is that with bigger valves and all your other mods?

If that's a simple port and polish. It seems there is great gains to be had on the intake side. I've been curious about doing some home gasket matching and polishing to try and eek out some more efficiency.

Also do you have numbers that compare the stock TD IM to your sausage stuffer flow or are those secrets ;D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I have no numbers on the sausage stuffer intake or the stock intake. Although my machinist said the stocker will "probably" flow similar to mine at redline, but it will have so much tumble that unless it is at redline it will flow a lot less in all other situations, especially low to mid rpm.

On the 2 charts. The top chart is the new oversized intake valve CFM ratings. The  bottom chart is my old head that just had stock sized stainless valves and the port and polish vs. stock numbers on that same head with no port and polish. I just wanted to show what the difference was between stock, ported, and big valve 7mm stems ported.

Reply #284August 29, 2013, 06:32:14 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text

Have you posted a video of this beast yet?

Sent from Outer Space!

Just this one...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9su0uexjzme746/VID_20130714_180256_514.mp4

and that is the 1st or 2nd start with the old turbo that blew up. It is a deep, nasty, and throaty little one, but that is the way I like them.

Soon I will post up something of it running but I haven't had a competent camera person yet.