Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 137019 times)

Reply #210July 30, 2013, 09:56:05 pm

8v-of-fury

WOW LUCKY>

What if it had obliterated the fins and sent them through the engine?! Christ.

Reply #211July 30, 2013, 09:58:40 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Yeah.
I think the intercooler hopefully caught it all and isn't too hard to get it out of there. I took the intake loose and nothing in it or the head, so it is confined to the IC and piping I guess. Or it ate it all already and no harm. Still made about 9 psi with it all messed up.

Reply #212July 30, 2013, 10:00:10 pm

8v-of-fury

Wow man, congrats on the luck second time around lol.

I feel like my k03 is gonna shoot the wheel out the hood sometimes. Judging by what it is producing, it should be spinning like 190,000rpm haha.

Reply #213July 30, 2013, 10:18:27 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
since he is going to be getting another wheel I wonder if there is a stage 2 or something...hmmm. I would be fine with that wheel maybe just a fuzz lighter.

Reply #214July 31, 2013, 07:25:53 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
that'd be sweet, but usually the only upgrade for the compressor wheel is to go for a larger trim, or to go billet, and i doubt there are any billet 45 trim t3 wheels out there.  staged t3 turbine wheels tho, there are tons of them.  maybe thats what u meant tho, because if the nut came loose off the turbine shaft, u may need a new turbine shaft, and that part is all one piece with the turbine wheel.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:37:46 am by RabbitJockey »
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #215July 31, 2013, 08:57:32 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Tell me the benefits of a staged turbine wheels

Reply #216July 31, 2013, 10:17:39 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

Why not a 30-40 year newer turbocharger? ;)
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #217July 31, 2013, 02:53:41 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Simple. I don't have the extra to spend or time to fab. I had all the pieces to build this, downpipe and all. This bolts right onto the car the same as a K14 or K24 or the stock T3 did. If the guy will not stand behind it then I would look into it as I wouldn't want to spend the money again on this same deal.

If he doesn't what do you recommend as I maybe buying a turbo for the jeep project depending on what the cost on Libby's electronic VNT deal will cost. It will be a 1.9 TDI that I will have done in similar fashion to this with a 12mm pump. I would love to have as much HP as possible but this being a heavier jeep would want quick spool. I have a GT 2256vk for it that I will try to hook up. Dreaming of 300hp.

Reply #218July 31, 2013, 03:23:34 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Simple. I don't have the extra to spend or time to fab. I had all the pieces to build this, downpipe and all. This bolts right onto the car the same as a K14 or K24 or the stock T3 did. If the guy will not stand behind it then I would look into it as I wouldn't want to spend the money again on this same deal.

If he doesn't what do you recommend as I maybe buying a turbo for the jeep project depending on what the cost on Libby's electronic VNT deal will cost. It will be a 1.9 TDI that I will have done in similar fashion to this with a 12mm pump. I would love to have as much HP as possible but this being a heavier jeep would want quick spool. I have a GT 2256vk for it that I will try to hook up. Dreaming of 300hp.

that is the good thing about the hybrids, they bolt on like stock, use the same oil feed and return lines, and most people already have a t3 on their car or laying around anyway, so the only cost is to find a larger t3 and then for a rebuild, and no new manifold is needed or special fab for a new downpipe and oil return line, feed lines are easy as sin too.

but i bet you alcaid recommends a holset he221w, which is a great turbo!
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #219July 31, 2013, 04:01:30 pm

Alcaid

• Veteran

HE221W is laggy on 1.6TD as single tubo, would only recommend it in a compound setup. Even a small version of HE221W with slightly smaller wheels and a 5cm turbine was laggy. The HE211W or the newer HE200WG (very similar) is a much better single turbo match. Off course a VNT with proper actuator control would spool faster. A .50 trim 56mm wheel would be good on the 1.6 as opposed to the .55 trim ones that most VNT turbos uses. I have it on my PD130 4Motion Golf (daily driver) and it works excellent. I have the Volvo GTB2056VL but there is also an Alfa Romeo application with same compressor. Believing in 300hp from a 56mm compressor would be on the edge on a gasoline engine. Not possible on a 1.6/1.9 diesel.
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #220July 31, 2013, 11:37:06 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I said I was dreaming. I think 275hp possibly and if it was more I would worry even more with the engine. My 2256vk is off of a Mercedes sprinter engine and really doesn't look much different size wise then the K24 on our cars. The housings look almost the same size anyway. I am going with a block girdle, studded all the way around, and the aftermarket rods for strength. All of this a year away as $$$ is the issue. The rods are around 500.00 that I have found. That is why I would like to run the turbo I have. I have a couple turbos I should sell to help the cause. My K24 and a VNT 15 from my TDI when I upgrade that.

BTW, the rebuilder said he would fix it. I asked about anything to help it spool and he said the 360 bearing, so I am having that put in. I am debating about a billet wheel as if it is lighter it would help spool as well. I don't want much faster, just a touch, as if I get it too fast I think I will have traction and transmission issues. It isn't bad now but a little spool would be better.

Reply #221July 31, 2013, 11:45:31 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

What about bhw pistons i hear those are a decent upgrade.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #222August 01, 2013, 08:11:28 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I already found a set of 1st oversize AHU pistons for 75.00. THey will be coated and should do fine.

Reply #223August 01, 2013, 09:51:39 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
OK here is the turbo deal. He is rebuilding it but it really must be my fault. It surged. From what he said it did and I talked to Rabbit Jockey and we all have the same conclusion...it surged. Not surge line but when I punched it and let off there was no where for the 15lbs of boost to go, so it went backwards and spun the compressor wheel backwards. The conclusion is even though it is a diesel I need a bov. If anyone has any better idea then I would love to hear it. Besides the awesome turbo advise Alcaid gave*not kidding I would love to have your turbo, but it just isn't in the works* I am up to listen.

This turbo is making a ton of boost and power, I love it and want it to work. The idea is to run a bov off the exhaust pressure and intake pressure differential. So instead of each side of a throttle body you would have the exhaust housing where the intake side of the throttle body input goes and the normal intake tract where it normally goes. This is all theory and I haven't held a bov in my hand but Shaman Rabbit Jockey, turbo rebuilder guy, and I think it would work. Let me know if or not as the turbo rebuilder guy says "I will repair this one, but if it does this exact thing again you are on your own."

Crazy Andy and Rabbit Jockey...You guys basically have the same turbo only even more compressor wheel, so in theory you should have more of this problem. Rabbit Jockey already knows, so I am just warning you Andy.

Reply #224August 02, 2013, 01:02:02 am

• Veteran

I personally don't buy it.  A compressor wheel should self destruct before it spins off the shaft.  Imo, the nut holding the compressor wheel wasn't tight enough or not locked into place after being properly tightened.  And I don't buy that a diesel needs a bov.  The air can still flow through the engine on decel and the second you let off the pedal the load on the exhaust side drops rapidly.  Doesn't add up.  I hope the rebuilder is taking care of it for you.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:23:43 am by 410 »
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

S-PAutomotive.com