S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 136992 times)

Reply #180July 16, 2013, 11:49:59 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
I will have the new freeze plug tomorrow and hopefully installed. I want to get some miles on it and then report back.

This is a performance DD build. I will show you guys some pics if it lasts a bit of what was done. It may cause some to say I shouldn't have, but I don't care. It won't be any worse end than the last engine...

Most of you will hopefully drool as I am when I push the go pedal.

Reply #181July 17, 2013, 12:10:09 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Performance.....double "D" job.....?
Are you going to call it: "Baywatch?"
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #182July 17, 2013, 10:11:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Well...the lawn didn't get mowed tonight but I went for a real good drive. All I can say is wow. This is how all the TD's should have came from the factory. It is insane. If you want more just ask it for more. I haven't gone crazy on it yet about 16psi is what it builds now that I adjusted the MBC, but it needs more. It shoots right up to 1150-1200 F on the egt gauge and then stays right there as the boost builds and then it comes down some. I loaded it well on several hills around the house, the same ones that I drive the MKIV TDI with Malone stage 2 tune that needed the spec 2 clutch as it was spinning through the new stock unit that was in it. No exaggeration this IDI is about the same as the TDI...the IDI at half to 3/4 pedal that is.

I don't know what did it or if it was a combination of all of it. Remember the SAUSAGE STUFFER intake? I think it helps, but this may as well.

Now the biggest deal is this...with 7mm stems too. The valves are only part of the story, if you can see the rest. Sorry still waiting for the flow chart

Reply #183July 17, 2013, 10:30:41 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

I will say the same thing I said on seeing the size of those valves:  ARERHWGUIRSRFBHt!!  I'm so glad you finally got this thing back on the road after all those setbacks and bullcrap.  Shows the 1.6 can be turned up to 11 and love it.  I predict this one will far outshine the previous iteration in both fun and longevity.  And all that head work shows that the old-dog IDI still has avenues to be explored and tricks up it's sleeve.  Now, for the love of all that is smokey, turn the boost up!

Reply #184July 17, 2013, 10:40:35 pm

8v-of-fury

WOOWEE! HOTTDAMN.

Much love, and congratulations brother. I am glad to hear that thing run, sounds BEAST.

Reply #185July 17, 2013, 11:03:02 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Sweet man I was gettin nervous somethin else bad would happen at your start up and a freeze plug is darn near a blessing compared to the long strange trip you had.
Lol hippie
Blame Andrews bus this weekend ;)
Heh and you aren't even broken in yet so wait for the fun it'll happen. And you notice it get faster ...and faster.
I saw a vid on YT comparing a new 16v with like 5k on it vs one with almost 100k on it.
At the end of the run, probably 1/4 mi, the old one had like 2 lengths on the new one.
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #186July 18, 2013, 12:36:15 am

CRSMP5

;D  bet i get ride soon... rest gotta wait.. what.. 11 mo 28 days.. LOL..

Reply #187July 18, 2013, 08:15:13 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
Well...the lawn didn't get mowed tonight but I went for a real good drive. All I can say is wow. This is how all the TD's should have came from the factory. It is insane. If you want more just ask it for more. I haven't gone crazy on it yet about 16psi is what it builds now that I adjusted the MBC, but it needs more. It shoots right up to 1150-1200 F on the egt gauge and then stays right there as the boost builds and then it comes down some. . .
No expert - are those acceptable EGT numbers?
If not, do you have plans on how to lower 'em?

Cheers to your tenacity sir.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #188July 18, 2013, 08:27:42 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Compared to the 1650F I used to have I will take 1200 ALL DAY LONG. IMHO 1,200F is mild, most factory TD will be right there max. Also IMHO 1,400F should be safe for this car all day long with the stainless valves and coated pistons. This one maybe able to handle more than that but I will not try to do it.

The 1650F that I used to have was why I did so much work to this engine. I think the laws of thermal dynamics basically told me you can't do that and I ate a precup. I think it would have went over 1650F before, I just always got scared and let off at that point.

Reply #189July 18, 2013, 10:55:51 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Another spin tonight. This time to the car wash and the diesel station. Loved every minute except I am always looking out so I don't get a driving award :D

This may get me into serious trouble. I am paying close atttn to the egt, water, and oil gauges. Looked down was doing 80mph and man I don't do that often. Once I feel better about the engine I will do much better watching the speedometer.

Reply #190July 18, 2013, 11:07:33 pm

CRSMP5

time to build you a factory cruise set up...

Reply #191July 19, 2013, 12:09:40 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Yes Officer, I know I was driving stellar.  No, I was not aware I was doing 80 in a 40 zone. 

Thanks for the award!!!!!

Reply #192July 22, 2013, 12:32:35 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
It is fast. Still a little sluggish off idle compared to the GTI I used to drive. Similar to the TDI but the TDI still will take it off the line. It scared the crap out of me last night. I finally got it to the floor as I rolled into it gently. Boost kept building, I was in 4th gear and it was pulling all the way until I let off...and gaining ground the entire time. I wasn't expecting it to pull as well in 4th going that fast and started to lose it in a corner. It was crazy. Need bigger brakes now.

Reply #193July 22, 2013, 11:00:21 am

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
I miss my 1.6TD!! Cool project.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #194July 22, 2013, 11:20:43 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I was hoping someone from the old days would look at this and appreciate it. What do you think thus far Mr. Malone? I know I should probably get a video soon but the wife is not riding in it as she is ready to deliver any day.
It seems you could start your 1.6 over. It looks like Canada is the place to secure all the old IDI parts

Fixmyvw.com