S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: I am starting a 1.6TD build version 2, hoping for more than 40,000 miles :D  (Read 136973 times)

Reply #135June 18, 2013, 09:41:20 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Yes, I did use the old head bolts to put it on the stand :D

I got the dip stick installed and the IP bracket installed last night. I will see if I can't get the thing timed and possibly set in this weekend. All depends how far I am and what the neighbor is doing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:36:07 am by theman53 »

Reply #136June 23, 2013, 04:42:17 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
If I get back to work on the timing and my friend comes over I will sit the engine in the bay...I have had a super productive weekend but I am fizzling out right now.

Reply #137June 24, 2013, 05:23:52 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

It's ok man it gives u a minute to stop and absorb what u did and u can review....make sure what you have done is right. Stand around and drink a beer. 
Just don't fizzle for 2-3 years like me on my 79. Seriously, if someone sees me out in public, feel free to walk up and boot me in the pants. I'll know why.
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #138June 24, 2013, 08:50:29 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
My motivation on this has been OK. It took me 3 months to aquire 2 heads to take to the machinist. 13 months later he hands me one done. And here I am a month into it and almost ready to rock. I feel pretty good about it, but I have had tons to do besides the car. Ex. Saturday morning from 8:00am to 5:30pm I put trim into the oldest bedroom. Now it is done except for closet doors. Without that setback I would have it in the car now. Life keeps getting in the way.
Now even if it was in the car I wouldn't start it as I need to figure out a new battery situation

Reply #139June 24, 2013, 10:46:06 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
I wonder what a "fast" rebuild average would be (complete with rebuilt head, bore and hone, new pistons, rebuilt pump etc).
I am nearing a year but I don't do this for a living and mostly work on it weekends only.

I say as long as you don't stop progressing, that's fast enough ;D
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #140June 24, 2013, 11:44:39 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
theman53  man can I relate to that getting things done concept.  Seems like the car gets attention but it is the necessary fix to run it another week without an issue type of thing.  I had coolant leaking all the time and I finally yanked the WVO heat exchanger and am putting different fittings on it.  All four corners got shocks or struts as well.  But I took out the spacer in the rear hoping new shocks would be enough to raise that sagging butt.  Sorry, got to put them back next weekend. 

I have trim sitting on the table saw that needs to be sanded and put around the Master Bedroom door.  One light needs to be purchased, installed and wired up.  Then I can move downstairs and think about tearing up that part of the house to be entertained with all summer.  Good place to work in the summer.

No such thing as as a fast anything when it all gets done at the expense of one pocket book and one set of hands.  As long as I am not tearing it out week after week it is considered progress. 

Reply #141June 24, 2013, 11:45:18 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
I really only have a couple days into this. That is if you add up the time I actually get to work on it. Even then most of the delay has been trying to find where I put something last. 1/2 of the parts from the car are in my garage, the rest are split between the car and the shed. It is nearing the point where most of the spare parts for the engine are used so I don't have much to look for now.

The other thing that took a day was I swapped IC to a 2" shorter one. Moved all the brackets so 100% of it was seeing air from the grill. Then got an aftermarket rad and had to get all that to fit. I think it will now.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:47:46 pm by theman53 »

Reply #142July 01, 2013, 10:51:24 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
So I waited until I could get the 2 pin flywheel, as I could have met up with him Saturday. When I went to get the wood burner in the morning it was almost 5 pm when I was done. When loading the wood burner onto the trailer the rear tire exploded and made my day :D So I met up with Chris Sunday, and then spent the day looking for my bolts that I never found the new ones. I timed the engine with the old PP to crank bolts, but cannot find the new ones. So now I wait for the new ones to get here. Will be here by Wednesday the 3rd for sure. The plan is to have this engine in and running this weekend. All that needs done is trans bolted on and engine dropped in/hooked up. Until life sets in and I find that I forgot to do something or am missing bolts again.

Reply #143July 04, 2013, 10:28:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
With the 4th of July and family I didn't really get to do anything much today. Flushed the trans and added some oil to it. Here is where the engine sits. I still need to bolt the trans to it and put it in.

I also made a new crank holding tool. Works much better than the old unit I had that ripped apart taking my crank bolt out. I also found my D sprocket timing gear.

Reply #144July 04, 2013, 10:43:02 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

Awesome!  When you gonna get it dropped in, this weekend?

CRS told me how you could hold the crank with a flywheel bolt, a trans bolt, and some chain.  That's better for on-stand engines or ones that can't flip over, though.

Reply #145July 04, 2013, 10:44:30 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
Yeah, this tool I can use in car. I found it fairly easy to hold the crank with one hand and torque the clutch stuff with the other.

Reply #146July 05, 2013, 10:17:20 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Yeah, this tool I can use in car. I found it fairly easy to hold the crank with one hand and torque the clutch stuff with the other.
were not all john cena
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #147July 05, 2013, 12:59:16 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
If I were truly John Cena I would just torque them with my fingers or teeth LOL

Reply #148July 05, 2013, 01:35:57 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
looks like it would also work great on children who misbehave
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #149July 05, 2013, 02:10:13 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
looks like it would also work great on children who misbehave
Not enough spikes but a few hours with a welder I agree

S-PAutomotive.com