Engine Specific Info and Questions > Diesel Swaps

1.9aaz moded to TDI in a Jeep.

<< < (2/30) > >>

R.O.R-2.0:
im gonna go with OM617 power in my Toy 4runner..

you can get a WHOLE OM617 for ~$1000 on this side of the country..

i like the OM engine better in a big vehicle.. i think the 1.6 or 1.9 would be a bit of a stretch in a big (jeep sized) vehicle..

ive thought about using VW power, even bought a 2.0L I5 TD engine, but i feel even IT is too small for a 4000# vehicle..

an OM engine would feel right at home in a 4000#+ vehicle..

theman53:
Those jeeps *IMHO* were gutless from stock with whatever 4 banger they had in there. The older ones were better. Still the only jeep I was ever impressed with that had a AMC/jeep powerplant was the 360 in a fiberglass tub my friend had. It was built very well, would pull the front tires off the ground 8 inches when he had 33" on it. Many friends have done the SBC in one that ran good, and one pal had a built 460, but it wasn't as impressive as the SBC or the 360.

That said, the TDI I am building should have plenty of oomph and weigh 1/2 as much as the OM617. Plus I don't have to learn another engine platform and get the engine and parts. I have to buy a head, pistons, and that is it. I have injectors and a turbo or 2 currently for the TDI. I am just looking for jeep info as to which years rust more, wheel bearing issues, axle/transfer case issues, electronic activated stuff to deal with etc.

R.O.R-2.0:

--- Quote from: theman53 on June 13, 2012, 04:55:02 pm ---Those jeeps *IMHO* were gutless from stock with whatever 4 banger they had in there. The older ones were better. Still the only jeep I was ever impressed with that had a AMC/jeep powerplant was the 360 in a fiberglass tub my friend had. It was built very well, would pull the front tires off the ground 8 inches when he had 33" on it. Many friends have done the SBC in one that ran good, and one pal had a built 460, but it wasn't as impressive as the SBC or the 360.

That said, the TDI I am building should have plenty of oomph and weigh 1/2 as much as the OM617. Plus I don't have to learn another engine platform and get the engine and parts. I have to buy a head, pistons, and that is it. I have injectors and a turbo or 2 currently for the TDI. I am just looking for jeep info as to which years rust more, wheel bearing issues, axle/transfer case issues, electronic activated stuff to deal with etc.

--- End quote ---

start off with a CJ if you want something thats gonna be cool, and last..

what are you going to do for a trans? the Jeep Peugeot 5 speeds are junk. the AX-10/15 trannies werent much better..

please tell me you are NOT considering using a stock Jeep slush-o-matic?

theman53:
I figured whatever I had that was decent...T18 4 speed if it would work.

R.O.R-2.0:

--- Quote from: theman53 on June 13, 2012, 05:19:20 pm ---I figured whatever I had that was decent...T18 4 speed if it would work.

--- End quote ---

OH!

so, you are planning on using an older setup?

i guess i should have clarified that all the trannies i was talking about, are 80s and newer trannies..

should be a pretty cool setup when its done..

only reason i want an OM powerplant in mine, is because its appropriate size to the vehicle, and the ability to make 300hp somewhat easily..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version