Author Topic: To TDI or not to TDI?  (Read 5649 times)

February 14, 2006, 03:12:00 pm

VegieMobile

To TDI or not to TDI?
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to this site but not to the Volkswagen Diesel.

I LOVE mine! I bought it new in 1985 and have since put over 350.000.00 Miles on the original engine. Over 100.000 of those miles were on SVO.

I'm getting ready to drop a new engine into it and would love some advice.

1. Where is the most reputable place to purchase a new VW Diesel engine?

2. Can I drop a TDI into my 1985 Golf instead?

3. Any thoughts on $$ what I'm lookin at cost wise?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Bob

I love my GOLF 350.000.00 Miles and still going strong!

Reply #1February 14, 2006, 03:55:08 pm

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

• http://www.canadubs.com
To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:55:08 pm »
You're probably going to save money building up an IDI like Malone's Franken motor (1.9 head, head gasket, boost upped, Giles pump rebuild, bigger injectors, good intercooling, etc...).

If you want to get a TDI, you're better off to get a MKIII TDI and swap it in. It's designed to sit on the mkii/mkiii mounts. I believe you can get a mechanical pump stock with some of them. This saves you from doing the Drive by wire pedal and a lot of the electronics.

If you're heartset on the MKIV TDI swap, you have to make the decision to either use the MKIV mounts and custom driveaxles or the stock MKII mounts and either an aftermarket turbo (VNT20 or similar non-manifold-attached turbo) or custom fabricated rear engine mounts and custom intercooler piping (you'll have to do custom intercooler tubing either way). I'm doing the MKIV w/ MKII mounts and going through all that headache right now.

As for suppliers, there's not really anybody who provides these (I've seen one site online, but they only offered the longblock). Look for demolished TDI cars. That's your best bet. If you get one, take the whole car. That way, you get all the little gizmos that you need that are extemely expensive to replace if you didn't take them at the scrapyard. Plus you can sell the parts you don't need to recoup some of your money.

Also, you can talk to vw4motion at TDIClub.com. He seems to have a garage full of them in Prague. Don't be concerned about shipping. If you're getting everything you need for your swap, it's well worth the money.

I paid $4500 (Canadian) for my engine, tranny, and a lot of the electronics. I won't have the car running without having spent about $2000/2500 more for miscellaneous parts.

I hope that helps.

Reply #2February 14, 2006, 04:37:26 pm

VegieMobile

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:37:26 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the thoughts.

"You're probably going to save money building up an IDI like Malone's Franken motor (1.9 head, head gasket, boost upped, Giles pump rebuild, bigger injectors, good intercooling, etc...). "

I take it that my original engine is known as an IDI?
This sounds like the path for me. Not that I mind the $$ I just don't have the time to mess with wiring computers etc.

So take my existing 1.9 add a turbo with bigger injectors etc. Do you have any more info on Malone? Can I search for him on this site?

Thanks again!
Bob

Reply #3February 14, 2006, 05:40:56 pm

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 05:40:56 pm »
Malone posts a lot on this site under the IDI section. VW made IDI (Indirect Injection) engines up to the MKIII series car (not sure exactly which). The DI (Direct Injection) is what some of the MKIII cars and all MKIV's have.

Here's a request for info on Mark's engine from another guy looking to do the same.
http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2643

Also, do a search under the IDI forum for GTECH and Baseline. That's what Mark's threads have in them.

Believe me, the smartest IDI guys around are on this forum.

Ah, there it is....
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2377

Reply #4February 14, 2006, 06:30:22 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 06:30:22 pm »
On the TDI route, you might investigate whether it will like SVO as much as the old VW's.  I've heard that the TDI's sometimes have issues with SVO -- not sure if it's an issue with the electronic controls or with the direct injection.  or if they were poorly done SVO systems that weren't sufficiently heating it.  I don't have any experience with it, as both of mine are IDI, but just a heads up so you don't get suprised.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #5February 15, 2006, 07:34:15 pm

VegieMobile

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 07:34:15 pm »
Thanks mucho for all of the suggestions. I'll drop back in to let you all know how the transplant goes.

Bob

Reply #6February 21, 2006, 11:08:13 am

jwspin

• Junior

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 11:08:13 am »
Quote from: "zyewdall"
On the TDI route, you might investigate whether it will like SVO as much as the old VW's.  I've heard that the TDI's sometimes have issues with SVO -- not sure if it's an issue with the electronic controls or with the direct injection.  or if they were poorly done SVO systems that weren't sufficiently heating it.  I don't have any experience with it, as both of mine are IDI, but just a heads up so you don't get suprised.

i converted a 2002 tdi to run on svo with no probs. has been running prob free for about 20,000 miles

-jared

Reply #7February 21, 2006, 08:04:45 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 08:04:45 pm »
i love mytdi-m,,ive had a few 1.6td's and na's,,but the tdi is really cool,,especially when set upmechanical,,no electronic crap to screw up,.,,,i wish you sucess in whatever directionyour project takes ya,,,i probably have 4500 in my buildup(iforgot centerforce  clutch+ 12mmpump+oil+fluids+clamps+stuff,so its probablylike 5k in it),,looks like alot,but when you put the hammer down it allpays off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :twisted:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #8February 21, 2006, 08:14:54 pm

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 08:14:54 pm »
What is SVO? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that term?

Reply #9February 21, 2006, 08:30:17 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 08:30:17 pm »
SVO= Straight vegetable oil    
Generally run with a conversion system that can be bought now or fairly cheap. Needs to be pre-heated and filtered before introduction to the fuel system but runs the cars very nicely...and best of all...is FREE. Stop by your local Chinese rest. after you have your dinner and give your SVO equipped car a dinner as well. :)

Lots of info... many I'm sure remember Justin Carven on here from the old GTD forums... he runs www.greasecar.com and their system has come a long way.

Other alternatives using soy, corn, vegetable bases are "refined" fuels that can be run without preheat or starting the car on reg. dino diesel and then introducing the alternative fuel...
They include homemade biodiesel (refined) using waste vege oil

as well as true Biodiesel that you are able to buy at many pumps in the country (not in NY however! Yet...)
There are different blends of biodiesel at the pump... B50, some B80 as well as true B100. These are dino diesel/vege based (refined) fuel combined.

Think that'll answer it!

Oh...and go TDI :) I can't wait to try out my motor but its def. been worth the trip...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #10February 21, 2006, 08:40:18 pm

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 08:40:18 pm »
Vegan TDI....got it.

Reply #11February 22, 2006, 09:03:51 pm

TDForNow

• Junior

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 09:03:51 pm »
Quote from: "dubCanuck1"
Vegan TDI....got it.

:wink: Hope both driver and car hold off on the BEAN if I'm behind them :oops: LOL!
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #12February 22, 2006, 09:52:18 pm

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

To TDI or not to TDI?
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 09:52:18 pm »
RBO - Refried Bean Oil. :D