Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: FS: 1983 Audi 5000 TD  (Read 3793 times)

May 29, 2012, 08:54:06 pm

mmitocky

• User+

FS: 1983 Audi 5000 TD
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:54:06 pm »
Up for sale is a 1983 Audi 5000 Turbo Diesel.  The car was converted from the 3-spd automatic to a 5-spd  from a N/A diesel 5000.  

Engine was COMPLETELY rebuild about 15k ago:
-New Kolbenschmidt Pistons
-New valves
-Turbocharger rebuilt by G-pop Shop
-Cylinder head completely re-done (cracks between valve seats welded, new valve seats, pre-chamber bores re-machined for a tighter fit)
-Injection pump completely re-sealed (looks beautiful inside)
-Rebuilt injectors with new nozzles
-Gaskets/bearings/belts all new

Car has 112,000 original miles on the chassis.  Spent most of its life in Texas, was driven up to Ohio, and sat in some guys garage for 14 years.  NO RUST.  Car has never seen salt, ever.  Most of the car's features work well, the items that don't are listed below.

Issues:
-RF fender is junk -- I bought the car this way and never got around to replacing it.  I have a brand new "fender in gray" that just needs to be painted and installed that will be included with the car.
-Front tires are BALD.  Completely bald, completely illegal, completely unsafe in the rain.  I never got the front end aligned after all the mechanical work, and so I wasted two brand new tires over the course of two summers.  The rear tires look like new
-A/C system is all there and intact, even has some charge to it.  I installed the belt about a year ago, and it blew "cool", but needed more refrigerant to blow cold.  I removed the belt because the clutch on the compressor is a bit loose, and rattles at idle while the A/C is turned off.
-Tailights are acting funny, the turn signals blink fast when you press the brakes and the tailights dim while the turn signals are on -- this happened when I bought the car a couple years ago, and a wire brush on the tailight panels cleared up the problem.  I havent been driving the car regularly for a while now, so the issue is probably the same, due to condensation corrosion or something.
-The throttle pedal and brake pedal are UNUSUALLY close together.  I took the pedal cluster from the 5-spd car when I swapped the transmission, and had to move the brake and clutch pedal faces over to the left to make room for my boot to step on the throttle.  The result is a pretty tight pedal arrangement that I have just become accustomed too, though I acknowledge that it should be changed.

The car has a home-made boost controller which is set at 1 bar, 14psi.  The fuel screw on the pump is turned up just a little bit.  The car isn't a rocket ship, but the engine makes good power.  I was getting 35-38 mpg with some conservative driving.  Has a 2.5" exhaust with a magnaflow chambered muffler -- slightly louder than stock.  Also has a push-button style glowplug setup, the factory relay stopped working.

The interior is in decent shape, definitely not perfect.  The stitching on the rear headrests/seats has been degraded from sunlight (im guessing) and the cushions are split open in the rear (can be seen from behind the car).  The drivers seat is showing its age, but is not ripped.  Carpet is in great shape.  Dash is cracked, but looks OK.  Headliner is perfect except for a small hole (1/8") in the sunroof section.  Sunroof works perfectly.  

Pictures can be viewed HERE: https://picasaweb.google.com/107225126724528250983/20120527

You will notice that the shift boot and pedal covers are missing in a couple of the photos, they are currently installed.

I am asking for $2000, and am open to offers.  Email me @ [email protected] with any questions or if you would like to come and check it out.  Car is located in Valley View, OH.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:02:34 pm by mmitocky »

Fixmyvw.com