S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Well, it isn't a vw, but still a pretty fun td.....back to the dark side......  (Read 3034 times)

May 13, 2012, 06:13:49 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

I've always wanted one.....glad to be back :P

3.0 idi turbo deez ;D

Reply #1May 13, 2012, 07:32:33 pm

8v-of-fury

Hells yeah buddy!!

Reply #2May 14, 2012, 12:13:40 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
I think that hood is as along as the entire length of a VW Rabbit.  What a mother ship. 

Reply #3May 14, 2012, 06:12:24 am

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

I think that hood is as along as the entire length of a VW Rabbit.  What a mother ship. 

Funny part is that I rarely drive, as my work is a whole six blocks away.  Still have the fear from the crash.  Feels like a  tank going down the road, and sounds like one, too ;D.  Bought it from a pastor.  This guy could never sell a vw to a layman.  He had NINE kids.  "This one broke this, and that one broke that".....The motor was in amazing shape.  Not a drop of oil leaking anywhere, and it's got 277K on the clock.  Bio kit is on the way........

nothing but tanks now.....

Reply #4May 14, 2012, 11:50:15 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
As I was looking over my hands this morning I figured out why people convert those huge boats more often than VW Rabbits.  My hands look like hamburger after a week in the close spaces.  More like I have been picking fights with a cat that still has claws.  But I got my WVO system almost in.  Went to test it and found one of the two solenoids is not pulling up tight so I still am pulling diesel as well as veg oil.

Here's customer service for you though.  Went to the site where I bought the valves and gave a short explanation of the trouble and asked if there is a way to adjust them for a tighter fit in place.  The hoses are done so well and the fittings are air tight so I wasn't relishing the idea of pulling it all apart to send the valve back.  Their rep was back to me in just a few hours.  Says they think I have a stuck valve and they will send another no charge.  I can pull the body off in the car and swap the internals and not have to cut hoses or pull fittings.  I can even keep the lame parts no need to send them back.  Now is that service with a smile or not?  I was smiling even though it will be a week or so to get the part and do the work. 

So have at it with the mombo benz.  I live in Portland and am surrounded by them.  One weekend walk about the neighborhood I counted 20.  And most were vintage beasts. 

Reply #5May 15, 2012, 09:09:59 pm

8v-of-fury

Benz is the only way to go! Why'd you talk me out of it again?!!?!?

Reply #6May 15, 2012, 11:46:07 pm

lovinthedeez

• Veteran

The learning curve begins.  wondering why the hell the fuel filter won't come off, I then learn about the 24 mm bolt holding on to the sucker.  switched out filters, then I learned about the two o-rings on before mentioned bolt that I never removed entirely............ ;D :D :) ;)

I love this thing.... 8)

Reply #7May 17, 2012, 12:15:02 am

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

I actually almost talked my sister into getting an '85 w/ the om616 TD, but turned out it needed too much work to be a DD.  That and knowing my sister she'd have put gas in it first time she filled up.  ::)  Too, bad; really wished somebody in our family had a 616/617 equipped Volkspanzer (I like to nickname them the 'people's tanks').

99% of the 80's MBs in my city run Diesel, and this is a college/retirement town so we have no shortage of old-folk/student cars kicking around.  Wish I had enough play money to hit the classifieds. 

Back OT, you look like you found a semi-rare cosmetically kept up one.  Keep her up well; ones of that caliber are getting hard to find anywhere!

S-PAutomotive.com