Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: New Td and not starting.  (Read 7222 times)

April 30, 2012, 04:05:06 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

New Td and not starting.
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:05:06 pm »
OK so i just threw this Td into my car and everything went well while installing. Now as i reached the point of starting the car. Double checked everything. So I tried to start it and it just wont go. It turns over, seems like its going to go but never fires up. Now i thought that it was fuel. so i checked if i was getting fuel and i am. I dont know what going on.
please help.
Any ideas just post them up thanks.

的f anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #1April 30, 2012, 04:47:04 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: New Td and not starting.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:47:04 pm »
If it's a known good motor then I'd start with timin. If yer dial indicator reads inches but you are reading millimeters it can be tough to get started, and smoke big white when it does.
Did you fool with the belt at all? Or just drop and go?
Maybe off a tooth, or wrong dial indicator reading. From there it gets Grey.. Could be anything. Would rig a jerry can for further attempts @ starting

Reply #2April 30, 2012, 05:02:50 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:50 pm »
No it was just a drop and go, Now after reading a wee little bit, ive noticed that people with similar problems have smoke and such, I have none of that. I would think that there would be smoke if cranking and fuel being add...but there isnt. :'(
的f anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #3April 30, 2012, 07:30:14 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:30:14 pm »
It was a drop and go, but did it run before?? If it did then there is not really much that it could be.

If you have no idea whether it ran, and you are getting fuel at the injectors.. then it could be lots.

So which is it? Ran before or not?

Reply #4April 30, 2012, 07:53:04 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:04 pm »
It did run. So im told and i would like to start on that. Once i get off work im going to double check timing. Its wierd it seems like its going to start, feels like and sounds like it. It seems as its not getting fuel, but every line is full of diesel. I want to see if the pump was pulling fuel so i hooked the line up to a clear jug and it was taking fuel. now after a little while of typing the line started to push some of the fuel back out of the line like there was preasure built up. I dont know if that helps you help me. :-\

Reply #5April 30, 2012, 08:05:09 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:05:09 pm »
Ugh, I hate taking peoples word on "ran fine when I pulled it" type of deals.. lol

Well if the pump is physically taking fuel in, then that is at least a starting point. Are the metal lines going to the injectors also full of fuel?

Try this. With the ignition in the on/run position open the hood. Remove the small spade connector on the end of the pump above the metal injection lines. You should hear a click as you remove it, touch it on and off a couple times and listen for an audible "click". If it is clicking then proceed to my next "try this".

Try this. If you leave the four injector lines loose at the injectors and try and crank the car does fuel dribble/spray out of the lines?  

Try this. If both those tests check out then we have pressurized fuel leaving the injection pump, and the engine should fire. There is no restriction on the air paths of these things so air is not really a factor, unless it is completely clogged. So you could remove the air filter to be sure it is not causing air restriction.

Are your glow plugs working? Better question where are you located and what temperature is it there? (Which by the way I would like you to update your profile at your earliest convenience with your car and location please)

Reply #6April 30, 2012, 08:06:55 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:06:55 pm »
Double check power to the glow plugs?
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #7April 30, 2012, 08:25:28 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:28 pm »
glow plugs are working and really done feel that its cold enough for that to make, Im located in PA,USA. So you want me to test the shut off solenoid?
The line do have fluid, i will check four when i get home.
Now another thing i just remembered is when cranking at the IP there is a tick...tick...tick...tick noise, doesnt seem to be coming from the injectors, but the IP and it has pauses like the, and its a single tick that is consistent..
ok so lets say that all of those are correct what are the possiblities then, should i just replace the IP, i have one just laying around

Reply #8April 30, 2012, 08:28:59 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 08:28:59 pm »
i think the most concerning thing is that there is no smoke. What so ever. I actually only have a DP on and in the garage so if there was any little bit i would know it. But None.

Reply #9April 30, 2012, 08:32:03 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:32:03 pm »
No smoke = No fuel..

Check the injector lines and the solenoid. It is common.

Reply #10April 30, 2012, 08:37:38 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 08:37:38 pm »
What if i unplug my solenoid will it start then, What part does the solenoid play it fueling?
EDIT:
Disreguard this. I Think this is the problem. Im an idoit. >:(
Shut off solenoid is not hooked up.... pure idiocy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:08:53 pm by One_punchmachinegun »

Reply #11April 30, 2012, 09:06:20 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:06:20 pm »
If you take the soleniod out and start it will start and run, but leak diesel out the hole. If you take the plunger out and put the top of the soleniod in it will run and not leak fuel everywhere. The only way to stop it quickly is to stall it at that point, so be aware.

Reply #12April 30, 2012, 09:16:30 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »
Does the solenoid prevent fuel from going into the lines?

Reply #13April 30, 2012, 09:27:17 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:17 pm »
Does the solenoid prevent fuel from going into the lines?

Yessir it does, ;). It is the mechanical shut off of the pump, controlled by low amperage 12v at the plunger connection.

Reply #14April 30, 2012, 09:27:36 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »
Depends. If it is working or not...if it is charged or not. IIRC default position is shut off diesel.