Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: gonna name this "coolent issue"  (Read 1577 times)

April 25, 2012, 09:41:31 am

xxkoadyxx

• Junior

gonna name this "coolent issue"
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:41:31 am »
Alright sooo here's the issue. Last week when I got home I popped my hood to do some looking around like I usually do, to make sure fluids are good blah blah blah. When I opened the hood, I noticed that there was oil in my coolant and it blew out the expansion tank all over that side of the car soooo I thought " headgasket" as I just turned my boost up to 16lbs..sooo I take everything apart and cleaned it up and put new head gasket, studs, timming belt, and the tensioner. After I go it all back together I flushed it out for a combined total of I'd say 3 hours. Flush the block seperately from the rad. Then I filled it up with water ( cause I'm broke right now) and drove to work. On way back I started to see steAm comi ng from Under the hood, popped it and it overflowed again.. Soo then I flushed everything agian. Iv installed a different oil cooler as I thought maybe that what cause the problem in the first place. Soo today I ran some flush stuff from CT. it blew out agian. Also I'm not getting head in the car, yes I'm up to temp (90) and the fans cut in...I'm totally lost here guys.. Iv squeezed the hoses to maybe try to get rid of hydro lock? But nothings working.some helpful advice would reaaaaly be apperaiated.

Thanks guys, koady

its a 1.9td

93 vw Golf 1.9TD soon to be stage 3 malone TDi (project)
2003 VW 1.8T Passat (daily)

Reply #1April 25, 2012, 12:01:42 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

Re: gonna name this "coolent issue"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »
I've recently done a head change and I had to flush because of a similar situation.  I refilled coolant after the head change and if you fill it to the max line I've found (my temp gage runs at 100c/212f at cruise speed)  that it will overflow at some point and or remove any air lock that may have been there.  Because of that I usually drive only long enough to get to temp and get home asap to let it cool to a point I can open the cap and re-fill what had been air.  This may not be the best way to do it, but it needs to get to a point where the thermostat opens.  Usually after doing this the coolant level is good after that and does not overflow.

However if there is air/excess pressure from the head gasket not sealing properly, and it always overflow, that is another issue.  I would think one of two things - head gasket or rad/overflow cap over-pressurizing? 
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #2April 25, 2012, 12:15:09 pm

xxkoadyxx

• Junior

Re: gonna name this "coolent issue"
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:09 pm »
i think it was over pressurized as first the rad was clogged then i fixed that and then found my heatercore was clogged.. them it now. now gotta see what happenss
93 vw Golf 1.9TD soon to be stage 3 malone TDi (project)
2003 VW 1.8T Passat (daily)