Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: dont know where to post, making a flywheel adapter to run generator  (Read 5394 times)

April 08, 2012, 04:25:03 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
Ok, so I found a generator heat on ebay, 15kw with an 18kw surge, 400 bucks shipped (I have a forklift at work)

says 4 11/32 tapered shaft... can I make this work? need a way to start it, and a way to attached it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tapered-Cone-MeccAlte-15-000-Watt-Generator-Head-193312-/390407744694?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item5ae61d6cb6#ht_2548wt_1163

Reply #1April 08, 2012, 12:38:07 pm

bajacalal

Re: dont know where to post, making a flywheel adapter to run generator
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:38:07 pm »
I'm assuming what you want to do is hook it to a Volkswagen engine. You need the transmission bellhousing from that kind of engine. With that bolted to the engine and the flywheel attached (no clutch or trans) you will be able to start the engine.

The tapered cone connector is going to be the biggest problem, and that's a big generator you're looking at... I can't think of a an easy way to couple that to the engine. If you have a belt drive coupling you can get pulleys and adapt something using those, that way you don't have to physically hook the engines together, but you would probably need a multiple belt pulley to handle the hp. That's what I would do, I would use a belt drive system and mount the engine and generator independently to a frame, but I don't think there are pulleys that connect to that type of coupler without using some type of shaft... Go to the Grainger website and look through the "power transmission" section, maybe you can come up with something.

I would also go with something air cooled for a generator, instead of a VW diesel, that would be simpler and lighter, yes I'm thinking of a VW beetle but they do make air cooled diesel engines, I have one ;D Hatz and Deutz are two companies that make them, I believe Yanmar does as well, they all turn up in construction equipment.

For a generator though, it needs to run at a constant speed, probably 3600 or 1800 rpm. There are two kinds of diesel injection pumps- those which run at a constant speed and maintain that speed regardless of the load and those with variable speeds that work with no consideration for load, which they use on cars and trucks. It will be much more practical to use the constant-speed type, meaning you will either need to source a constant-speed pump (they did make industrial VW engines) or use an engine already set up this way.

Reply #2April 08, 2012, 12:53:36 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:53:36 pm »
kinda just trying to find something to do with my diesel engine if I get it assembled!
as well as, living where I do on the oregon coast, I get tired of being without power.  I really like the idea of water cooled as this would not be a mobile device (although I may build it on a trailer as if its under a certain weight here you dont have to tag or title the trailer)

vw parts are easy enough to come by...  

as far as constant RPM I think that would be easy enough to figure out. our pumps have the fly weights in them, its just a matter of telling them what to do.

I guess as far as the adapter goes, I could kill an 020, make the taper piece for the gen, take an input from the 020 and weld the two together. and depending on what it needs for thrust, I could weld the input to the clutch disc if needed

Reply #3April 08, 2012, 12:55:36 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
I think you'll want some gear reduction especially if this is a 1.6 you're planning.  30hp @ 1800 rpm will require a lot of boost...

The only difference with a constant speed pump is the governor spring capsule.

so maybe the 1kw from HF would be a better option? they only require 16 hp or so I think and are belt drive. although they might not be the low rpm (but pulleys could be adjusted there)

Reply #4April 08, 2012, 12:58:33 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marathon-Generator-UL-40KW-125-CStdBy-1-0PF-2-NEW-Part-EE41909-/110855910420?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item19cf86f414#ht_500wt_1413

this would be sweet, but a little short on HP and a little high on price.

maybe with a little intercooler/boost action. lol

Reply #5April 08, 2012, 02:06:50 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:06:50 pm »
kinda just trying to find something to do with my diesel engine if I get it assembled!
as well as, living where I do on the oregon coast, I get tired of being without power.  I really like the idea of water cooled as this would not be a mobile device (although I may build it on a trailer as if its under a certain weight here you dont have to tag or title the trailer)

vw parts are easy enough to come by...  

as far as constant RPM I think that would be easy enough to figure out. our pumps have the fly weights in them, its just a matter of telling them what to do.

I guess as far as the adapter goes, I could kill an 020, make the taper piece for the gen, take an input from the 020 and weld the two together. and depending on what it needs for thrust, I could weld the input to the clutch disc if needed

If you could come up with the tapered shaft you would be set. I would use industrial shaft couplers, instead of welding the shaft. I didn't think you could weld transmission shafts because of the material and you do want it to have some give in it, particularly if the two pieces aren't bolted together. You wouldn't even need to destroy a diesel trans, a gas one would do, and those are a dime a dozen... In that case I would leave the clutch assembly intact, and use that to connect your input shaft to the engine. Even with no means to disconnect the clutch, it would reduce the shock on the shaft. Seriously though, think about how you want to couple the two and maybe use a pillow block and u-joint for the shaft. If it's spinning at 3600 rpm it's going to fail if it's not built properly, it will vibrate itself to death.

Incidentally the gen head you posted runs at 3600 rpm which was probably intended for a gas engine but our diesels can do those kinds of speeds, unlike many diesels. I'm liking the Harbor Freight one, it's also 3600 rpm. If you don't have a system that runs at the rated speed of the generator, you will get electricity that isn't 60 hz.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:08:46 pm by bajacalal »

Reply #6April 08, 2012, 03:47:24 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:24 pm »
but with belt drive you could run a smaller or larger pully to make the difference

Reply #7April 08, 2012, 03:56:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:48 pm »
but with belt drive you could run a smaller or larger pully to make the difference

and more parasitic losses than a drive shaft..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #8April 09, 2012, 12:55:01 am

pointynoggin

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:55:01 am »
efficiency of a belt drive would be around .95 which is ok. 

if the gen isn't bolted to the engine then you have to solve the problem of vibration and relative movement between the engine and power transmission or gen. To the same point the main bearing will not handle the radial load of a belt drive so you'd have to couple it to a shaft and bearing assembly.  I have not come across a flex coupling that can handle that motion and power, you would have to use a fancy dual u-joint drive shaft if that is possible, I don't have the experience to comment.

I once designed a connection between a 75hp 3600rpm electric motor and a multi stage turbine vacuum producer but it was hard mounted and the coupler was laser aligned while the unit was mounted on vibration dampeners.
1991 Jetta 1.6TD, Giles Superpump,

Reply #9April 09, 2012, 01:08:51 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 01:08:51 am »
yeah, I think dial indicator and a ridged mount would be good for me on the shaft drive, and yes, a shaft drive would be much more efficient in terms of overall wear as well

Reply #10April 09, 2012, 12:10:32 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »
yeah, I think dial indicator and a ridged mount would be good for me on the shaft drive, and yes, a shaft drive would be much more efficient in terms of overall wear as well

how bout a lovejoy coupling? that will absorb the pulses and vibration from the engine, as well as allowing for a LITTLE bit of flex..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com