S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: How 'bout a TDI Quantum sycro?!  (Read 11579 times)

February 10, 2006, 07:51:23 pm

TDForNow

• Junior

How 'bout a TDI Quantum sycro?!
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:51:23 pm »
What options are there for putting a TDI in a north/south car like my '85 Quantum TD. My alt and a/c comp are on the manifold side of the motor. No a/c not an issue, already deleted the condensor to make room for a FMIC. Radiator fan takes the space on the IP side though. Am I looking at importing a B5 1.9 non-PD motor/tranny assy from the Euro side?

'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #1February 10, 2006, 08:24:04 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 08:24:04 pm »
Where there is a will, there is a way... I think it'd be awesome...and very unique too! Don't see many people doing things with quantums. The only thing I'd be majorly concerned with is the max power that the v-drive of the synchro can handle. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was in the neighborhood of 200hp or so stock. Can't remember the torque figure. My dream is to do a Corrado with Synchro :) and a PD 150 motor. So much fun...
I had an email from someone that was going to do a similar setup, only, it was using an older Audi Quattro...but it'd be the same setup. The mounts, etc. should be fairly easy to do even with the longitudal setup you'll be working with (north/south). Let me see if I can dig that email up and maybe put you in touch with the guy.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #2February 11, 2006, 12:03:41 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

Re: How 'bout a TDI Quantum sycro?!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 12:03:41 am »
Quote from: "TDForNow"
What options are there for putting a TDI in a north/south car like my '85 Quantum TD.

Your TD quantum is not Syncro though, right? So you are looking at a full driveline and TDI swap?

Reply #3February 11, 2006, 06:51:35 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 06:51:35 am »
the syncro trans is a5cyl bolt pattern for a quantum..so a 4cyl vw engine  won't fit..buta 2.0L 5 cyl idi td or a 2.4L canadain eurovan idi or 2.5L 5cyl tdi will fit..nicely in the syncro...go back and look up posts from jack bombay he was swapping a audi 2.0L idi td into ascyncro..i wanted to do a 2.5L tdi in my quantum syncros..later
Deo

Reply #4February 11, 2006, 10:38:10 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 10:38:10 am »
i've seen bellhousing conversions out there...ranging from using the one from an MK2 Ralleye Golf or Golf Country to guys that are making conversion kits. The Quantum TD I had and parted was 4cyl . I'd be worried though about the initial hp/tq ratings for the factory synchro system.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #5February 11, 2006, 10:44:11 am

TDForNow

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 10:44:11 am »
Quote from: "RabbitGTDguy"
The only thing I'd be majorly concerned with is the max power that the v-drive of the synchro can handle. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was in the neighborhood of 200hp or so stock. Can't remember the torque figure.
I had an email from someone that was going to do a similar setup, only, it was using an older Audi Quattro...but it'd be the same setup. The mounts, etc. should be fairly easy to do even with the longitudal setup you'll be working with (north/south). Let me see if I can dig that email up and maybe put you in touch with the guy.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I was wondering about the power limits of Syncro system. How different is it from the Quattro system? Motor-wise, I'm looking to do the same thing that you are with your Rabbit ( makes me wish I had kept my '81 LS Diesel!!) but all that torque with just front drive has worried of getting it all down to the ground. Besides, I don't think my stock trans will handle this kind of power, besides I'd want a taller final ratio (1st would be useless with my current final) BTW, have you found a VG/VN Turbo in the size of a T3. I'd like to use something like that to help the low-end.

Quote from: "jackbombay"
Your TD quantum is not Syncro though, right? So you are looking at a full driveline and TDI swap?

Right jackbombay, it's not (yet... maybe). So if I do this, I will need to do a full driveline swap in addition to the TDI swap. I'm thinking of using parts from a couple of late 80's Audi 4KQ donor cars I've got a line on. With that vintage, the two cars used the same body shell.

Quote from: "therabbittree"
the syncro trans is a5cyl bolt pattern for a quantum..so a 4cyl vw engine won't fit..buta 2.0L 5 cyl idi td or a 2.4L canadain eurovan idi or 2.5L 5cyl tdi will fit..nicely in the syncro

Thanks Deo, I was hoping some one had found a way to overcome this. Do you or anyone else know if the B5 or 5.5 1.9 TDI's on the other side of the pond came available with 4Motion?, I know I couldn't use the ass-end, but the tranny might solve a lot of problems. To change mine to a 5cyl TDI in addition to the AWD conversion, I'd might as well put 5cyl TDI in a Syncro or an Audi Quattro because I'd have to change ALL my underhood stuff from 4 cyl to 5 cyl from the sub frame on up.

Having said all that, sounds like it might be easier to import a complete B5 TDI Passat! Yikes!! Even if I don't do AWD, I'd still have to upgrade the tranny some how to handle the extra power and to get a taller ratio. I still have to overcome the accy mounting and oil pan differences. Does an IDI oil pan fit a TDI? Thanks folks.

Alain
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #6February 11, 2006, 11:03:18 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 11:03:18 am »
No problem on the helps...

As far as putting the power to the ground. Alot will come to a properly balanced tranny and a good driver to know the car well. LSD for the tranny as well as a lower R&P ultimately. Not to mention, a pretty heavy duty clutch. I'll be using a reinforced 16v pressure plate and a 6 puck sprung clutch disc rated to about 250hp/325tq

Where there is a will there is a way. I know there are guys that have done complete swaps in Audi applications and MKII/MKIII. Even a few corrados that have gone Synchro style using Ralleye Golf G60 parts and the latter. I had an article/thread on that (corrado specific) about how they converted it, etc. and what was involved as well as the hp/tq ratings on the ralleye golfs system. Makes me wonder what is different between the quantums system and the ralleye golf. If there even is. TDI Synchro would be so much fun :) I keep adding to my list. Malone's white two dr. MKII base, TDI motor, Ralleye Golf Synchro driveline... OYE :) Which I could get out of my MKI fix and had the extra fixings for it all!

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #7February 11, 2006, 11:18:12 am

TDForNow

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 11:18:12 am »
Hi Joe,
That's what I expected as far as the tranny/clutch. The main diference between the Quantum and the Golf is layout; Quantum=N/S Golf/Corrado=E/W

Yea, TDI Syncro would be a lot of fun!! Picture power-drifting through the corners adding some black smoke to the blue smoke OYE-VEA!!

Alain
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #8February 11, 2006, 12:16:02 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 12:16:02 pm »
yeah...i'm wondering power rating wise between the two systems. It would seem to me that the north/south system you'd think would be stronger because of the strength that can be applied in compenents in a "straight line" vs. that of the tranverse setup like the MKII Golf Ralleye/Country. But I def know the power output of the Ralleye Golf was quite impressive and there are people out there doing conversion of TDI into them as well as the very rare rally series MKIII units "A59's"

I am dreams of "bunny hops" side to side :)

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #9February 11, 2006, 12:26:23 pm

TDForNow

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 12:26:23 pm »
Maybe make a hybrid 4 cyl Quattro/Syncro tranny!! I'd probably be divorced  before completing this after having tranny parts in Both bathtubs!!
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #10April 26, 2006, 04:49:34 am

TDForNow

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 04:49:34 am »
Found a 1.9 TDI 130 and gearbox (front-driver) from an '01 Passat w/50k in the UK for 500quid (<$900US) :twisted: !! Wonder how much to ship it the states?

I think I'm gonna skip the Syncro transformation. It'll be easier to make an Audi 4Kq into a Quantum :shock: !

Alain
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #11April 26, 2006, 05:36:01 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 05:36:01 pm »
Quote from: therabbittree
the syncro trans is a5cyl bolt pattern for a quantum.. ..buta 2.0L 5 cyl idi td or a 2.4L canadain eurovan idi or 2.5L 5cyl tdi will fit..nicely in the syncro.....later
Deo

Is this the same as my D24T?  Is there an LT transproter synchro?(I have never seen an LT, my VW dealer doesn't acknowledge the existance of such a thing.......

The best AWD opton I have yet found on my Volvo... the ZF 4HP22-E slushbox is shared by certain Range Rovers using a proper transfer case.  Might be another option.  I also know that in Europe, Volvo sold a Cross Country with a 180 HP TDI V6, but no details on that.

Reply #12April 27, 2006, 04:11:32 am

TDForNow

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 04:11:32 am »
Quote from: 745 turbogreasel
Is this the same as my D24T?  Is there an LT transproter synchro?(I have never seen an LT, my VW dealer doesn't acknowledge the existance of such a thing...

IIRC, the D24 & T had the same bolt pattern as the Audi 5 cyl motors, gas and diesel, so a Quattro tranny should bolt on to yours.

Over on the other side of the pond there is(was) an LT syncro. VWoA  folks run around with "force-fitted" blinders courtesy of VWAG, their motto is "if it ain't here...... it can't possiby exist"

Alain
'85 Quantum 1.6TD
'04 Passat 2.0 8vTDI

Reply #13April 28, 2006, 11:59:41 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 11:59:41 am »
Quote from: "TDForNow"
Quote from: "745 turbogreasel"
Is this the same as my D24T?  Is there an LT transproter synchro?(I have never seen an LT, my VW dealer doesn't acknowledge the existance of such a thing...

IIRC, the D24 & T had the same bolt pattern as the Audi 5 cyl motors, gas and diesel, so a Quattro tranny should bolt on to yours.

Alain

Yea, the D24 has the same bolt pattern as the 5 banger audi, or so I 've read here many times, you would have to modify the bumper and front valence a fair bit to make a D24 fit in a quantum, the 5 banger was already fairly tight.

Reply #14April 28, 2006, 07:09:30 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 07:09:30 pm »
I suspect you'd get best performance starting with a tubeframe :twisted: