Author Topic: 96 1.9 AAZ smoking, shuddering...help!  (Read 2195 times)

March 29, 2012, 06:04:37 pm

Makebeleaf

• Junior

96 1.9 AAZ smoking, shuddering...help!
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:04:37 pm »
Car has been smoking for awhile now better when pulling cold start.....wouldn't start yesterday...tried to start it a couple of times but no use. The last time I tried it there was a metal bit of a crunch sound.
Pulled off the Crank sprocket and it had been sheared off. The Bolt was very loose when I went to undo it.

Got a new Sprocket and Bolt and put it all back together...Turned it all over by hand. No binding or grinding.
Started it up and it runs. Makes a bit of an over run noise from the started when first trying it and seem to run rough.

Anyways it is smoking still and now there is a shudder to the engine when idling and driving. As soon as I accelerate in each gear it smokes. Seems like it smokes when I press the gas pedal.

I think I have it times correctly but I may be out ever so slightly....Could that be the problem? Will it matter if it is ever so slightly out somewhere? Could it cause this problem?

Have I done some internal damage and this car is going to die on me if I get away from home oe will it last?

Is there a way to tell?

Also, how do I get the cam sprocket off the camshaft? I can undo the bolt but can't get the sprocket off. I need to know how to get it off in case it just isn't timed up correctly.

thank you

Reply #1March 29, 2012, 06:08:19 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: 96 1.9 AAZ smoking, shuddering...help!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:08:19 pm »
timing is 100% important on these engines..

if you have not verified that it is PERFECT, then just assume that the timing is off, and it sounds like you got it retarded, really retarded.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2March 29, 2012, 10:14:05 pm

Makebeleaf

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:05 pm »

After resetting timing should there be anything else that can help?

So to unretard it...Can I do this without a gauge?

This is my
http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/Makebeleaf/injectorpumpsprocket2.jpg

To advance do I turn the IP sprocket clockwise or counter after loosening the 3 bolts?

Reply #3March 29, 2012, 10:36:17 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:36:17 pm »
If you push the pump towards the engine that will advance it.  There is a chance that valves have been damaged though.  If you fire the engine up from cold, try and touch the exhaust manifold at each cylinder outlet to make sure each one is producing heat.  No heat means that cylinder isn't firing. 
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #4March 30, 2012, 02:05:14 am

mattbondy

• User+

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:05:14 am »
"Also, how do I get the cam sprocket off the camshaft? I can undo the bolt but can't get the sprocket off. I need to know how to get it off in case it just isn't timed up correctly."

The camshaft and sprocket have a taper fit. There is keyway in the sprocket but there is no key (and no keyway in the camshaft). There is a metal guard to protect the timing belt between the engine block/head and the timing belt and it's sprockets. There is a hole in this guard near the camshaft sprocket. With a hammer and a punch (or something similar) the camshaft sprocket can be removed.

There should be lots of posts on this topics with plently written by others with more experience. Highly recommended reading especially for re-assembly. Since there is no key (I assume this is to make timing the engine easier) the torque of the bolt at this location (the camshaft) is a point of contention. Many believe the torque should be higher than indicated in the Bentley manual. Also, and the Bentley manual also stresses this, the taper must be thoroughly cleaned before re-assembly. Additionally, keep in mind the camshaft is fairly fragile. The alignment tool (for the slot in the camshaft at the end opposite the timing belt) is not sufficient to maintain camshaft position while torquing the camshaft sprocket bolt.

I just noticed this is an AAZ. I have never seen one and have assumed it is the same, in terms of the camshaft, as the 1.6.

Reply #5April 02, 2012, 07:56:30 pm

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56:30 pm »
What did the keyway in the crankshaft look like?  If it was badly damaged there is an increased chance that it will fail again, also if there is slop between the keyway and crank sprocket the timing could be out. 

Also good possibility of bent valves.

If you plan on keeping this car and need it for reliable transportation, I would strongly recommend getting the cranknose machined for a tdi style sprocket, and pull the head to check the valves. 
'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Reply #6April 03, 2012, 08:35:44 am

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:35:44 am »
honestly, if the sproket sheared away the valves probably hit the cylinders. i'd pull the head to be sure but i've only heard of very rare cases the sprocket lwtting go and the engine not damaged

Fixmyvw.com