Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Ross tech for 01???  (Read 6258 times)

March 26, 2012, 08:16:55 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Ross tech for 01???
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:55 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Vag-Com-OBD2-OBD1-Scantool-Tech-VW-Audi-vagcom-Ross-/260687588842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb230edea

This is what I have found, it says it comes with everything, but does it? Will I need to be buying software all the time or a one time addition? I haven't been around the scan tool scene long, but figure I want to get the right stuff for the job when I do buy. Which I would like to soon.

I have also checked out these guys http://www.versatileautomotivediagnostics.com/  which seems perfect, except the cost. over 400 for the tool to do the older TDI, over 500 to do the newer and older ones, or over 1,000 to have a shop "grade" one that does even more than the smaller ones. Free updates though...

Any input would be nice, I am going to have to do the TDI's timing belt by the end of the year and need to be prepared.

Reply #1March 26, 2012, 06:33:58 pm

745 turbogreasel

Re: Ross tech for 01???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:33:58 pm »
I lined everything  up just like it was on an ALH, and RossTech was only needed to tell me I got it perfect.  YMMV.
I doubt this is as good, but it may work, interested to hear.
the actual RossTech tool is the bomb, but i sure can't justify  owning it.

Reply #2March 26, 2012, 06:51:38 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:51:38 pm »
My buddy and I have gone through 3 of these cables.  They work but not for long.  The first one failed because of the aftermarket stereo.  The other two failed we think because they left plugged into the scanner port.  We found one for a little more money than this one in the states somewhere and we're hoping it will last longer than the last three.  I'll check to see where he ordered it from.  The Ross-tech cable is far more durable than these chinese ones that's for sure.  When they work it's all you need.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #3March 26, 2012, 08:56:10 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:56:10 pm »
I just don't know what to get. I need one to check things. I have heard the ross tech is the poor man's vag comm, is that accurate? I have always had the simple machines before this 01.

Reply #4March 26, 2012, 09:37:38 pm

BigVWman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »
I have to say, the genuine ross tech IMO is worth the extra cash if you can afford it!Ross tech is the vagcom-vcds company. I Have both and the good knockoff is buggy. It works but only on certain revisions and not updated(pirated i asssume) software. The genuine one works flawlessly on every car, and every laptop i have used it on. When i did have an issue with it caused by me monkeying with the pins they repaired it and got it back to me! I also have one of the super cheap ebay ones also and its pretty useless i got it to work on xp and only with free 409. That combo doesn't get you the tdi timing checker graph.
Tim
83 rabbit shell 92 cabby tdi conversion, 91 cabby aba conversion, 87 cabby,  87 gti,  01nb tdi new project,00 1.8t nb, 98 ranger,92 f150 flareside(its pink) 97 cabrio and a 00 cabrio!

Reply #5March 26, 2012, 09:50:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:50:58 pm »
I don't have any mobile windows devices, would it work with the Ipad 2? I do have one of those. If I can find the ross tech cable I will buy it...IF it isn't a ton of membership fees/year or update fees. I just want to be able to buy a tool once and use it, not everytime buy something new for it. I am just going by rumors I have heard about ross tech always needing updated is why I am saying that. Any extra to offer would be great.

Reply #6March 26, 2012, 10:18:55 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:18:55 pm »
i gave the info to you on what i use. no issue with it at all...

rosstec i know people with.. again no issue.. you can use the "share ware" non reg version for some things... not positive on tdi timing... BUT anytime you update computer so on.. can only have it on 1.. you gotta reach out to them to relicense what you have paid for to install in new comp..

as long as there is room on the pad.. it should maybe work.. rember i use a palm piolet with mine.. does not give a graph.. but gives the points to look at said graph to "make your own"

we can always work out a visit if all is needed is a fine tune..

now if i was to buy new... id make sure it did NEW cars with the silly buss system.. just as well own it once.. why buy twice... and you can whore yourself at that point too...

Reply #7March 26, 2012, 10:29:10 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:10 pm »
I bought a chinese knock-off and it wouldn't do certain things. I got the Rosstech cable and it's fantastic. The updates are free. It's expensive, but worth it if you do your own maintenance.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #8March 26, 2012, 11:16:02 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:16:02 pm »
Lets make this a fairly exhaustive thread about VagCom options.
And what each investment level allows the user to perform.

Mostly the Free - with china-jap cable is what i'm lacking info on the most.
Thats about my limit of investment right now too.

Ross-Tech , VCDS, VagCom, whatever anyone wants to call it.

TheMan53, Ross-Tech are the folks behind VagCom / VCDS
I'm pretty fresh - and partially confused about some of it also.
But don't think there are any ups or extras - unless you upgrade to higher class connector/newer car capabilty than what you start with.

What i think i understand :

There are 3 levels available to us
(us being - 2006 and older ? - for this comparison)

Free ShareWare = you supply your own means of connection between car and computer. The china/jap cables now available have made this more accessible to the masses more recently. The quality and durability of said cables is subjective. Some may not even obtain recognition from Car to PC. RossTech offers no assistance at this level.

Or if you buy/have an older Ross cable, that was only useable on 2 PC's before it auto decodes, and those 2 chances have been exhausted - you can run it with ShareWare.  

But by what i can find out so far - you don't get much more than basic CEL/fault code reading and the ability to clear some of those codes.

I do know for sure you can't read TDI Injection Timing with this level of investment - but i DONT know for sure about IQ reading and adjusting IQ at this level ? or anything else that can be done at this level ? How about EGR reduction ?

If anyone has first hand knowledge - that would be nice.
Info has been seeming conflicting, the more i read - the less i know.

IQ readings/adjustments - and EGR adjustments are about all i really need to have at my personal disposal. Dial gauge has me good on Mk3 and Mk4 TDI timing - iirc.
I can travel a lil ways and get higher level assistance when/if needed.

VCDS-Lite  $100 = you supply your own china/jap cable - or you have/buy an older Ross cable that has decoded from being further adapted to any more PC's. It is licensed with tech support (think 1 year of support) and can only be used on 1 computer.

Even with this investment - you still cannot read TDI Injection Timing. It does have a lot more function than Free ShareWare - more indepth fault code readings - but what other kind of stuff ?

i suppose
IQ reading - and adjusting ?
EGR reduction adjusting ?
What else ?

VCDS $250 = you get full licensed product and 1 or 2 years of support. And their high grade trouble free cable. Cars up to 2006 ?
Or what year / engine TDI ?

You can do about anything short of writing your own tunes and some classified operations. Something to that degree. ???

If you guys can fill in some beneficial operations and super cool neato stuff - its great to know what all is possible. In general off the shoulder from memory. Doesn't have to be down to the tiny nitty gritty.

I've been reading a bit on R-T.com and on a couple forums - but i don't have any real big clues about the full scope. And it really just rolls me around in circles mostly.

Reply #9March 26, 2012, 11:31:52 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 11:31:52 pm »
TheMan53, your wife could probably find you a decent used laptop on craigslist, yard sale, pawn shop - with Windows XP $50-100.
The $250 and $350 VCDS options let you have unlimited comps run on them.
Or if you can hook up your desktop inside the passenger floor .....  ;)

Reply #10March 27, 2012, 01:43:41 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:41 am »
My buddy and I have gone through 3 of these cables.  They work but not for long.  The first one failed because of the aftermarket stereo.  The other two failed we think because they left plugged into the scanner port.  We found one for a little more money than this one in the states somewhere and we're hoping it will last longer than the last three.  I'll check to see where he ordered it from.  The Ross-tech cable is far more durable than these chinese ones that's for sure.  When they work it's all you need.

Using an aftermarket radio adapter, you have to cut a wire on the car harness on at least later ALH cars.  The dealer may even replace your ECU  before they figure it out.

I think what I used was the VCDS ultra Pro  It did more than I even wanted to think about, and did it flawlessly.

Another option wold be to find say a TDIClub member near you, and go visit them for a timing check after you do the job.

Reply #11March 27, 2012, 08:17:53 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:53 am »
Thanks all, now another question. Do they make any ross tech cables/systems that are good with all TDI cars that have been released? I like the idea of buying once. Plus my mom has the 07 TDI and if I could get something to work with both our cars that would be great. I need to figure out what I am looking for as I have been doing the internet search and all the china stuff is cluttering up what I am looking for. That and since I don't know yet it is hard for me to know the difference.

Reply #12March 27, 2012, 09:57:28 am

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 09:57:28 am »
Yup. Have you browsed around on the ross-tech site? It tells you pretty much everything you need to know about each level of software. I think the cable you'd need for all cars is the $350 one but I'm not certain. We don't have a VW newer than '03 in the family so my FIL's old VAG-COM cable that he got years and years ago works great. Did the timing and everything on our TDI with no problem. Its the full version. And once you pay once, you can update the software for free I believe. Its a one-time price as far as I'm aware. If we got a newer VW, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a newer cable.
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #13March 27, 2012, 05:20:12 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 05:20:12 pm »
HEX-USB + CAN cable will do all VW vehicles with a diagnostic system.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #14March 27, 2012, 11:17:02 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 11:17:02 pm »
Yep. Rally and friends are right on. I called ross tech today and that is what they said. Also, I have a new Ipad and it is NOT supported by ross tech. One more reason for me to loathe apple...I bought it cause the wife wanted it.

Good news is that supposedly within a year they are coming out with a VCDS wireless that is supposed to support anything with a wifi connection and a web browser.

S-PAutomotive.com