S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Another TDI-M on the road,and its a runnin fool  (Read 4335 times)

February 10, 2006, 12:47:38 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Another TDI-M on the road,and its a runnin fool
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:47:38 pm »
got it running last saturday,,wow,way more power,with pumpturned down,and 10psi boost than my old 1.6 td ever had,,1st gear is useless,,and second almost is too,, in the rain its bad in 3rd too,,,good thing iput in the peloquin,,,,,tooka hellof a long time to prime it for fuel,,i had to reprelube(oil) it,for safety,,,total seal rings kick ass,,all i have is the breather on the valve cover,,and it has a miniscule amount of air coming out,,,,in like 150 miles,there was like 1 dropof oil on the valve cover,like the size of a pinhead,,,,this thing runs,,i cant wait to turn up the fuel and boost,,,,,yo question,,,,whenwarmed up,,ive got 20-25 psi oil psi at idle,,and like 50 or so at cruise in top gear,,,,im wondering if ishould put vanes back in vacuum pump,,,is this oil psi ok???,,another reason for totalseal kicking ass is,say this thing was a chevy or somethin that you were bumping over with the starter to line up timing marks,,ya cant bump it over,,itll start!!,,icant turn the key fast enough to get it to NOT start,,,thats awesome!!!illbe posting more stuff,,,ive beenhome sick last 2 days,,,,,went to dealer yesterday to get a couple oil filters,,   theysuck,,,they have none in stock and wont be restocking,,what crap!!!igotta dump the oil again,,,i changed oil/filter after about an hour of run time,,,,,the dealer said their other dealer across townhas 3 filters,,guess illgo clear themout of stock,,,,,sounds awesome with open downpipe too yea boyeee finally lookin at my 4500$  engine rebuild project  now runnin ,,and life is good!!! :twisted:

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #1February 10, 2006, 01:33:48 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 01:33:48 pm »
Sounds great. What fuel injection pump are you using with this setup ?

Is it true that total seal only charge you the same price for rings as OEM, if they dont manufacture them already?

Matt

Reply #2February 10, 2006, 02:09:51 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 02:09:51 pm »
bosch ve with 12mmhead,,small driveshaft(its an 84 tdpumpw/12mm head,,race 520 nozzles also ,kerma rocks!!!,guys at work built it for me,,,,,,no no,,,i bought a set of oem rings,,the totalseal guy said they dont make as nice a ring as oem,so i got a set of rings(actually they are purchased per hole),,i got 5 sets,in case of breakage,, and i sent them to them,,,,,theydoneed the finished bore size though,and to mod 5 sets of rings for totalseal setup was only 115$ us,,,,highly recomended  get their  dry cylinder lube too,and ring land lube,that stuff is like oilbut the other stuff looks like pencil lead,,rub it on the cyls with a finger,and it turns green!!,,dont use any oil,,just on the ring lands,,keep it off the faces,,and its ok to lube the ring compressor a little,,,actually,top fuelers assemble there cyl kits dry,,no oil at all ,,if its spotless clean,it works great!!,,yea use their drylube,,it doesnt take alot,, i thinkiused like 1/2 a gram to do all cyls,,,probablyenough there for 5 or 6 engines,,,
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #3February 11, 2006, 07:15:23 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 07:15:23 am »
sweet post pics blake...now you have no excuse to come back to ny and get that union job iwas telling you about..then marie can come back too or stay ad watch the house or you guys go back onea month to check it..etc..you did thte tdiu and maries probably ok now reight?..so get you resume to me so my freind can sent it on..BIG $...later
Deo

Reply #4February 11, 2006, 11:51:40 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 11:51:40 am »
dooooooode ,,,,,,,,,,iwish i could post pics,,,ihave my camera,,but the program is in the computer in ny,,,,anyone around cleveland here wanna snap some pics for me and post them up here?????ill tease ya,,,,block and valve cover are pontiac blue,,,semigloss black head,and accesories,,, pulleys,blue,trans flat black,,,car is primer grey,,,engine compartment is new ford grey,,,,i hate the paint names,,ikinda like the pontiac blue,,,its similar to the orig vw green/blue,,,heehee im silly                    , lets call it color coordinated,,injector crabs,vacuum pump top/pont.blue,,,i painted inj pump "cast blast",,,ARRGH i need my camera program!!!! :( :D
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #5February 12, 2006, 02:37:48 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 02:37:48 am »
For my camera I was able to enter the model number into the manufacturers website and download the program directly from them, its worth a shot.

Reply #6February 12, 2006, 11:12:25 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 11:12:25 pm »
illhaveta give it a shot,,thanks man!! ooh shoot,,ive gotta check, ithink ive still got the cables+stuff here.......
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #7February 13, 2006, 10:31:13 pm

Giles@PerformanceDiesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Junior

• http://www.performancediesel.ca
Head & Rotor #
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 10:31:13 pm »
hi hillfolk'r

would you mind telling me the Part # of the 12mm head that u used
or the pump # u got it from.

thanks

Giles

Reply #8February 13, 2006, 11:14:44 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 11:14:44 pm »
to be honest with ya,,the guy at work built it for me a few years ago,when the boss was out of town,did the head,and put it on the stand ,i paid like 100$,basically parts,,ithink he said he had that head"layin around",running takeout or somethin,,,,impretty sure its  from  cummins,,,,theyare sorta wierd back there(fuellab),didnt want to let me know too much,,hah,,,thats ok,,,,,but idoknow one thing,,,,its kinda strange,but not too big a deal,where the vw bracket ,that bolts tothe pump,at the head,and extends down to secure it to the  block,it has 3 bolts that hold it tothe head,,,,,hole for cold start cable also,,,,,ya know??well, my head,one of the bolts,i think the middle one,isnt drilled+tapped or something,,it only has 2 bolts holding it on,,they are the opposing ones,,,,guess it could be drilled+tapped,,,,,idont think it will or has caused any problems,,ive never seen any signs of"fretting" between the brackets or anything,,sometimes loose pump brackets willcause surging,,,ask deo???,ill ask and see if i canfind out what head+ stuff theyused,,ihad none of the problems that deohad,he had to advance the pumplike 2 teeth or something,,hes gettin it now,with his new setup,,,,but ieven set mine to vw timing specs w/ an indicator, yea,illhound the fuel guys :x
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #9February 20, 2006, 12:12:51 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 12:12:51 am »
been playin 'round,,,,,,hah it was funny,,on hiway the other day a lilricer civic came uponthe right of me(hiwaysplit upahead),,,well i could tell he wanted to see whats up,,,he came upon side of me,, i didnt even pay attention,,i jus gave it a lilthrottle,enough to hear turbo whisle change,,,then i nailed it for a second(well maybe it was more thana second,all i know it went from 65 to 80 before i knew what heppened),,it wasnt really a race or anything,,ijust wanted him tosee enough  of my car  tosay" wtf was that "to himself,,,i cant wait for a stupid ricer to mess w/ me,,,,, icame ontoan onramp the other day,,i was doin like 35 or so,,turned in,,pullin a little bit of g's ,,just spirited,,,,i was set to about 20 psi,,i goosed it onexit,,well it didnt hook up till50 or so,,,,roads were "dusty" with road salt,,not marbles,but sorta dusty,,what fun,cant wait till its i/c'ed,and water injected,i havent seen over 1200 f exhaust temp,before turbo,probably because by then you are flyin!!it would like more gear,,but ive had it to90already,not eventryin!!!imtryintobe easy,,,its got about 750 miles on it,,its hard to be easy ,,sometimes ya gotta ,ahem"clear its throat" ok????? :roll:
Throttle cables ftw