Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Oil pressure gauge?  (Read 3859 times)

March 23, 2012, 08:33:36 am

xxkoadyxx

• Junior

Oil pressure gauge?
« on: March 23, 2012, 08:33:36 am »
What one would i need? also what  do i need to do? i have a 1.9TD Iv read soemthing about connecting to one of the oil pressure sensors..but idk which ones? or what to do?

any help would be helpfull :)

93 vw Golf 1.9TD soon to be stage 3 malone TDi (project)
2003 VW 1.8T Passat (daily)

Reply #1March 23, 2012, 12:07:00 pm

gnavs

• Veteran

Re: Oil pressure gauge?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:07:00 pm »
I picked up an Autometer gauge from ebay for my build.  There's an extra port on the oil filter housing (at least there was on my AAZ) so you don't even need to remove any stock senders.  I needed an adapter to mate the NPT threads of the pressure gauge sending unit to the Mxx threads on the filter housing.
I liked autometer sport comp because it matches my cluster fairly well (orange needles and the silver rings surrounding the speedo, tach, fuel, and temp) but they have quite a few different styles.

eBay link to one for salehttp://www.ebay.ca/itm/Autometer-3327-Sport-Comp-2-1-16-Electric-Oil-Pressure-/250662301019?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5ca32d5b

Autometer website http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2791&sid=15

Installation is quite simple.  Theres an existing hole in the firewall a couple inches up from the frame-rail on the firewall that comes in right behind the fuse box in the car.  I just popped that plug out and ran by wires through there.  The instructions and wiring diagram that came with the kit was simple enough to follow, essentially there's only 1 wire coming from the sender to the gauge in the car (the sender itself acts as the ground I'm assuming).

Reply #2March 23, 2012, 03:16:57 pm

Thezorn

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »
I picked up an Autometer gauge from ebay for my build.  There's an extra port on the oil filter housing (at least there was on my AAZ) so you don't even need to remove any stock senders.  I needed an adapter to mate the NPT threads of the pressure gauge sending unit to the Mxx threads on the filter housing.
I liked autometer sport comp because it matches my cluster fairly well (orange needles and the silver rings surrounding the speedo, tach, fuel, and temp) but they have quite a few different styles.

eBay link to one for salehttp://www.ebay.ca/itm/Autometer-3327-Sport-Comp-2-1-16-Electric-Oil-Pressure-/250662301019?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a5ca32d5b

Autometer website http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2791&sid=15

Installation is quite simple.  Theres an existing hole in the firewall a couple inches up from the frame-rail on the firewall that comes in right behind the fuse box in the car.  I just popped that plug out and ran by wires through there.  The instructions and wiring diagram that came with the kit was simple enough to follow, essentially there's only 1 wire coming from the sender to the gauge in the car (the sender itself acts as the ground I'm assuming).

I did the same thing, works geat
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #3April 02, 2012, 07:47:40 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:47:40 pm »
I was under the impression that you wanted to pull the oil pressure reading off the rear of the head, to ensure that the top of the engine was actually receiving oil.

-Todd

Reply #4April 03, 2012, 01:38:00 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:38:00 am »
whered you get your adapter? someone jacked up my head putting in some weird adapter

Reply #5April 03, 2012, 10:47:18 am

bajacalal

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:47:18 am »
You can pull an oil pressure gauge off a Cabriolet convertible, they have oil pressure gauges.

There are a ton of those around here... In the Great White North... I don't know, LOL.

The sensor for the gauge is on the head, on the end of the head opposite the cam sprocket. It has two prongs on the sensor, one for the gauge, one for the stock warning light system.

Reply #6April 03, 2012, 12:22:14 pm

gnavs

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:22:14 pm »
I was under the impression that you wanted to pull the oil pressure reading off the rear of the head, to ensure that the top of the engine was actually receiving oil.

-Todd

I thought about it the opposite way, I'm taking a pressure reading from the source which to me says if there's pressure at the filter flange then there's pressure at the head (providing there isn't a blocked oil galley somewhere or something).  I suppose you could get super redundant and have a pressure gauge at both points  ;D

Reply #7April 03, 2012, 01:58:19 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »

-Todd

thats what ive always lived by..

the head is going to have the LOWEST pressure in the whole engine, so the head will go dry first, if something happens..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #8April 05, 2012, 01:21:49 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 01:21:49 pm »

-Todd

thats what ive always lived by..

the head is going to have the LOWEST pressure in the whole engine, so the head will go dry first, if something happens..

I measure from the hole at the top of the head on the right hand side (looking at the engine) I believe the blue low psi sensor goes there.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD