S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Fixed instrument cluster  (Read 2314 times)

March 22, 2012, 03:30:40 pm

wadem

• User+

Fixed instrument cluster
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:30:40 pm »
Hey guys,

In my previous post i was stating how my AAZ instrument cluster failed on me, no tach, speedo, temp, etc. If I played with the connector pin i could get back some funtions but they would fail again as soon as I let go of the pin.
  While i was hunting down a replacement cluster i figured i had nothing to lose by trying to fix mine. I completly tore down the cluster, removed alll the gauges and seperated the circuit board. Then proceeded to re solder all the points on the 28 pin connector. Things did not go all that well either tearing it down or putting it back together, so i wasn't expecting much.
  Much to my surprise after it was all back together IT WORKED!!! Even better then before! I saw lights that I never new I had.
Who knows how long it will hold, but for now it works great....looks like I may have dodged a bullet!    For now!

Wade

1996 Jetta 1.9 AAZ, addicted to Diesels!!!
340K and counting!!!

Reply #1March 22, 2012, 09:34:29 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Fixed instrument cluster
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:34:29 pm »
March madness?  Luck o the Irish?  What ever makes it work.  One more example of those who opt for the unorthodox trial fix because like you said what do I have to lose. 

Hope it holds for you. 

Reply #2March 22, 2012, 11:33:24 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Fixed instrument cluster
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 11:33:24 pm »
Yep,
If it ain't broke,
 you can probably still fix it. ;D
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block