Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: my 1.6L rebuild and upgrade  (Read 14900 times)

February 09, 2006, 03:52:21 pm

16V-Sauger

my 1.6L rebuild and upgrade
« on: February 09, 2006, 03:52:21 pm »
good evening,
i would like to introduce myself and my car, if it is allowed  :lol:

i used to drive a 1.6l mk2, called the black beauty  :lol: last year i had to change the engine caused by to much wear between pistons and the block itself.
the actual engine produced ~100hp when it killed its first gearbox. after replacing the transmission and putting a new gti clutch in, it drove about 1000km perfectly. but it was to much torque for the clutch and she burned down.

the block shows much wear at the moment so i will rebuild that engine.

i´m going to build in:

- intake manifold from the latest corrado g60 (much bigger intakes)

- completely P&P'ed head with grinded valves

- camshaft from mk1 gti

- 70mm downpipe after garret t02 (comes from an aaz)

- calculated exhaust manifold which is called "stosswellenkrümmer" here in germany. don't know what it is in english but it has exactly the same "runner" lengths

- new sealed and optimized pump with fuel heating and in-take pump to be able to drive with salad-oil from supermarket

- g60/vr6 clutch with 02A "AYN"

i would like to rev up to ~5500 and the engine should bring power up to that point before it maxes out.

now i was thinking about upgrading to 1.8l. we have a few cheap options here in germany so rebuilding with 1.6l or upgrading to 1.8l would cost the same.

so i would use a set of conrods from an audi rs2 which has now the 9mm rod bolts from a g60. the rods will be blasted with steel balls and polished after that.

does anyone has further information on such a rebuild? does anyone know how hot the exhaust gases in a td are? i was thinking of using non-sodium filled exhaust valves to be able to grind them really down, shaft should be about 5mm thick.

what could be done to the pump to fullfill my expectations?

last but not least, a few pics of my car :)

comments are also welcome  :)

thanks for giving me advice

p.s. pics can be made larger by clicking them

Reply #1February 09, 2006, 06:01:26 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 06:01:26 pm »
Hi,

So your boring out a 1.6 and building a 1.8 TD ? Impressive.

I could bearly see the engine in the pics. What rocker cover do you have on your GTD motor ?

Matt

Reply #2February 09, 2006, 07:48:40 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: my 1.6L rebuild and upgrade
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:48:40 pm »
am I imagining things or does the badge on the front of that Golf say "syncro"?  Is that thing an AWD?  Never seen such a thing before if it is, we don't have them here in Canada.  Also looks like it has an intercooler in there similar to the ones that came on the early GTDs.  You Europeans have all the cool VWs.  Someday I have to get over there again and buy myself one and ship it back here.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #3February 09, 2006, 10:03:21 pm

mk1vdub

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:03:21 pm »
yeah I was goning to ask the same thing - is it really a syncro?

bloody lovely anyway :D  8) , looks classicly german if there is such a thing

what mods did the old engine have for 100hp?

would it not just be better/easier to go for a 1.9?

1983 mk1 golf GTD
1980 mk1 scirocco Gli, in bits, in the garage, awaiting full restoration

Reply #4February 09, 2006, 10:10:46 pm

euronation

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:10:46 pm »
That's pretty hot. I like the big window doors with chrome trim... nothing we ever got here. Along with the million switches on the dash.

AYN is a 8/90-12/90 Corrado and Golf gearbox code, so it's not Syncro.

Why do you have 4dr power window switches?

Reply #5February 10, 2006, 04:49:21 am

16V-Sauger

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 04:49:21 am »
thanks for your kind words.  :D

no big problem to install the RWD outlet from a syncro transmission to a FWD transmission  :wink: but, your right. sadly it's not a syncro.

i bought a syncro in 2003 to get the A/C and the power steering out of it. sadly the body was so much damaged that i only could bring it to the junk yard.

the inside is almost what i expect it to be, i only have to install the last parts for the SSA (start-stop-unit). i have 4 power window switches, one for each side, one for the central locking and one for the power-sunroof.

the cover on that engine is a polished one from a g60, fits perfectly  :)

the intercooler is indeed from a 80hp SB which i got from german ebay. because of the A/C there is not enough space to put a larger intercooler in front of the water-cooler. so i had to mount this one. i will saw i hole into the hood, when the engine goes out, to give that intercooler a little bit more air.

the problem with getting a 1.9l aaz or something is that they are very expensive here in germany as the fuel is getting more expensive every week. we have to pay 1,30$ for one litre. and thats only diesel. 98octane is around 1,70$ / L. so many people sell there gasoline cars and buy cheaper diesel cars. and the biggest problem with an other engine is that you don't know what the engine is looking like inside :oops:

the boring and honing will cost me ~200$, pistons ~60$ and the rods have costed me ~30$. the head will be P&P'ed by myself and checked on a flowbench at the university i'm studying right now.

i hope that i can bring it back to life for around 500$ including new seals and bearings

Reply #6February 10, 2006, 10:35:28 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 10:35:28 am »
Welcome - and thanks for introducing yourself.  Awesome project!

Your description of "stosswellenkrümmer" sounds like it means "headers" in english.  It's something I've been interested in experimenting with on our motors.  I'd be interested to see how you make your headers and the turbocharger fit underneath a G60 intake manifold.

The peak pre-turbine exhaust gas temperature for a stock 1.6lTD is 1500 deg. F (815 deg. C) pre-turbine.

Keep us updated... :)
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #7February 10, 2006, 11:19:18 am

LeeG

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 11:19:18 am »
If you want a Golf Syncro  (aka golf 'country') in Canada, talk to this guy:
http://www.syncro.ca/
his busness site:
http://www.fastforward.ca/

The Golf Country his wife drives.  I drove it last year and its pretty sweet.  

He had it at a Vancouver VW meet and people kept saying stuff like 'why did you do that?' not realizing it was from the factory.
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #8February 10, 2006, 11:27:09 am

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 11:27:09 am »
Oooooh.  I want a synchro golf!    I wonder if it would be harder to stick a VW diesel in a subaru, or add a synchro system and a lift to my GTI?
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #9February 10, 2006, 12:04:18 pm

euronation

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 12:04:18 pm »
Quote from: "16V-Sauger"
thanks for your kind words.  :D

no big problem to install the RWD outlet from a syncro transmission to a FWD transmission  :wink: but, your right. sadly it's not a syncro.

Swap the bellhousing and diff, install bevel box. Pain... but no biggie. There's a complete Syncro system sitting in my shop  8)

Reply #10February 10, 2006, 12:08:36 pm

bhtooefr

• Veteran

• http://my.opera.com/bhtooefr
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 12:08:36 pm »
So, is the Golf Country closer to a CrossGolf 4Motion, or a Beduin?

I'll take the brush guard, though. Around here, we call them "cattle pushers". Wonder how much protection it would give me from the f*#king deer that are all over the place - don't want them hurting my Jetta!
1986 Volkswagen Golf | 1.6L NA diesel | 5spd manual | Deep Cosmic Blue (LE5C) | aack, it's a parts car, now, too!
1992 Mazda Miata | 1.6L DOHC gasser | 5spd manual | Classic Red (SU)

Reply #11February 10, 2006, 01:02:17 pm

16V-Sauger

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 01:02:17 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
Welcome - and thanks for introducing yourself.  Awesome project!

Your description of "stosswellenkrümmer" sounds like it means "headers" in english.  It's something I've been interested in experimenting with on our motors.  I'd be interested to see how you make your headers and the turbocharger fit underneath a G60 intake manifold.

The peak pre-turbine exhaust gas temperature for a stock 1.6lTD is 1500 deg. F (815 deg. C) pre-turbine.

Keep us updated... :)

i definately will give you updates :)

i guess i will build it something like this: http://www.centralvwaudi.com/tdi/latestpics/big/16vturbo3.jpg
but reverse mounted to have enough space to fit long runner intake. what steel is normally used for those manifolds?

@LeeG

a country is completely different to a normal syncro :) and i really don't like that SUV style even if the chrome edition has white leather interior  :shock:

Reply #12February 10, 2006, 01:04:10 pm

LeeG

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 01:04:10 pm »
>Golf Country closer to a CrossGolf 4Motion, or a Beduin?
-dunno, these things are out of my price range.
I lust after a Iltis with a TDI swap.

Unless your deer are shorter than the ones 'round here, the bush guard / cattle guard wont make much difference.  front bumper usually busts their legs and tosses em onto the hood/windshield, where the damage is done.

16V-Sauger: sorry to have jacked your thread.
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #13February 10, 2006, 01:07:06 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 01:07:06 pm »
Quote from: "bhtooefr"

I'll take the brush guard, though. Around here, we call them "cattle pushers". Wonder how much protection it would give me from the f*#king deer that are all over the place - don't want them hurting my Jetta!

Probably not much.  My dad hit a deer with a 1/2 ton ford truck going about 35mph, and a much beefier looking brush guard than that kept the radiator from being trashed, but it still took out a headlight and grill, and pushed the fender back a quarter inch so the door wouldn't open properly.

That being said, I'm welding up one for my rabbit.  Every little bit will help.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #14February 10, 2006, 01:18:27 pm

bhtooefr

• Veteran

• http://my.opera.com/bhtooefr
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 01:18:27 pm »
Quote from: "LeeG"
>Golf Country closer to a CrossGolf 4Motion, or a Beduin?
-dunno, these things are out of my price range.
I lust after a Iltis with a TDI swap.

Actually, the CrossGolf 4Motion is a Golf with a trim package that makes it look like a mini SUV (but it's really a car), and only available in Europe. The Beduin is a small SUV that is a combination of the B6 and A5 platforms, and is (as of yet) unreleased.

Come to think of it, I've answered my own question. It's closer to the CrossGolf.
1986 Volkswagen Golf | 1.6L NA diesel | 5spd manual | Deep Cosmic Blue (LE5C) | aack, it's a parts car, now, too!
1992 Mazda Miata | 1.6L DOHC gasser | 5spd manual | Classic Red (SU)

Fixmyvw.com